The Kurt Angle Match Marathon

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Angle and Benoit vs Edge and Rey was tremendous. Haven't seen that in a good decade or so. They had a 2/3 Falls rematch on Smackdown a few weeks after No Mercy which was also fantastic.

Full thing's on YouTube for anyone interested;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=Gg9Trr40ptA

• Paid Members

You really don't, it was not very good. I can't find it on YouTube anywhere for you but it really did happen!

I seem to recall it happening on a house show I went to, I guess the same tour that culminated in Rebellion. Lesnar & Matt Hardy v1 vs. Rikishi & Booker T (on loan from Raw for the tour, for some reason) was the main event.

Not saying it didn't happen on TV as well, but they probably did it around the loop, if you attended one of those shows?

• Paid Members

Benoit was a heel throughout these PPVs where you can't quite remember. Him vs Angle at Unforgiven was a heel vs heel match, they were both heels together during their "partners that hate each other" run. They became defacto babyfaces getting booked against the also-heel Guerreros and because the fans struggled to boo them on account of them being, well, as good as they both were. Its only really out the back end of Survivors going into their respective matches for Armageddon that either (both) were booked properly as a babyface, as I remember.

Cole says this is the only title that has eluded Angle, but considering they've never been defended or existed before that's a bit harsh.

He'll have meant tag titles in general, I'm sure, which Angle had not won during the days of only one set.

• Awards Moderator

Thanks for the clarifications raid!

But now… IT'S THE SURVIVOR SERIES! Angle & Benoit take on Edge & Mysterio AND Los Guerreros, all the SmackDown Six together, in a triple threat elimination match - and we know how bad Kurt's luck in three ways is - all for the Tag Titles! AND THE EARTHQUAKE!

The match:

Madison Square Garden aren't sounding totally on board with Los Guerreros yet. But oh, oh, OH, the beauty, the BEAUTY of the MSG arena with the door in the middle and OH IT'S JUST GLORIOUS.

Even more glorious than that. IT'S JUST THE BEST SET UP.

Benoit doesn't get much reaction either, but the pop for our boy is HUGE. So's the "You Suck". BEAUTIFUL FIREWORKS EVEN MORE THAN USUAL WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT ALL LOOK THE SAME TODAY EVEN IN MSG.

Apparently Benoit offered a hug to Angle before, but Angle turned it into a hug. Bayley stole his gimmick.

Oh. They're not the Tag Team Champions anymore. Edge and Mysterio have the titles. I wondered why they came out second. Didn't click that they didn't have the belts til Edge came out wearing his.

Edge gets a good reaction, and his big coat matches the lovely blue titles. REY GETS HIS OWN ENTRANCE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ARENA which seems like an unnecessary faff but FUCK IT HOW COOL WAS SURVIVOR SERIES 2002.

You know, people point to 2002 as the start of the decline but between this and Summerslam they had two of the best shows ever in my view. Raw was still shite though.

Rey foreshadowing HBK in the main event by wearing shit brown trousers.

Nobody can seem to decide who's starting, but Los Guerreros are being a pair of twats and trying to antagonising everyone. Benoit and Angle very civilly decide Benoit's starting, and he's going with Mysterio. See you when Angle's in.

Rey gave Angle a smack once he gets Benoit down. Heel.

"I love Edge" says Cole as he gets tagged in. Edge not Cole. ANGLE TAGGED IN.

He's got a knee brace on which is a first.

Edge is in control as they start, Angle hits the ropes and Chavo seems to try and give him some trouble, Kurt gives him a smack and that counts as a tag. (But the shot Rey gave Angle didn't? I guess because it couldn't be Angle vs Benoit)

Rey and Chavo bit. Eddie tagged in, and I told a lie, the crowd likes him a lot. A lot a lot.

Mysterio gets the better of Eddie, who rolls away and tags Kurt back in. I'm a bit sad about this knee brace. Rey ducks Angle and hits a rana as the crowd goes "Let's go Angle" and adds a clap clap clapclapclap because they're a bit twattish even in 2002, the New York crowd.

Angle shoulder charged and hit the ring post, Rey then took a horrible bump when he loses his balance on the next move, falling off the top rope. Rey kicks out of the pin.

Benoit in. Angle back in again very soon after, they've bonded I think. Kurt hits a back suplex, which Tazz points out Benoit just did as well. Teamwork! He knocks Edge off the apron, tries an Angle Slam, Rey does the arm drag counter again but Kurt kills him with a clothesline and tags Benoit in again.

Angle's back again soon afterwards, snapmare and front facelock applied.

The front facelock goes on for bloody ages until Angle decides to go for a suplex. Rey fights back, showing the hold had no effect, tries a wheelbarrow, Angle tries the Summerslam counter into a German, Mysterio flips out of it this month however and hits a kick. Angle tries to tag in a Guerrero but they both drop down. Clever!

Benoit and Edge bit instead, then.

Angle gets involved once he's got the better of Benoit but Edge hits a belly to belly and takes him down. Benoit and Angle are both groggy, Edge goes for a Spear BUT IT WAS A PLOY! Angle gets him in a drop toehold, and locks in the Anklelock AND BENOIT LOCKS IN THE CROSSFACE AT THE SAME TIME! ANKLELOCK AND CROSSFACE AT THE SAME TIME! Superb! Rey breaks it up though and he and Kurt go outside.

Edge and Benoit bit continues. This match is amazing. So much action from all six guys.

Edge is down, Eddie sneaks in and hits a Frog Splash, Benoit headbutt, Angle hits the Angle Slam on Eddie and straps are down, Anklelock! Benoit has Edge in the Crossface but Chavo slides in behind him and hits him with a title belt while the ref's not looking!

The ref gets some order reinstated, but Angle's holding the belt at this point and Benoit thinks it was him! They've fallen out again!

Then Edge pins Benoit, beats him, and Angle and Benoit are eliminated. Angle's shitty luck in triple threats continues.

The eliminated teammates continue to fight with each other, but then take it out on the other two teams with Angle Slams and Germans and stuff, and argue their way to the back. That's the Angle and Benoit we've grown to know and yet not quite love because we haven't forgotten about Benoit being a murderer.

I'm not writing about the rest of the match. Angle's gone. Guerreros win.

Angle 2 - 3 Edge, I suppose, but it was Benoit's fault.

My thoughts:

It's a great great great great great match. Can't say much more than that really. You want the SmackDown Six, this is the match you want. Even in an era where "great matches" is pretty much WWE's thing, this is a cut above.

Angle landmarks:

First match with a knee brace

PPV record so far:

20 wins by pinfall
8 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
14 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission
1 loss by unconsciousness
1 loss by elimination (Royal Rumble)
1 team loss (Survivor Series)
6 multi-man match losses (Angle not defeated)

Next time, we round off 2002 with Angle vs Big Show for the WWE Championship. Will Kurt FINALLY get his win back from Backlash 2000? Will Big Show's pointless run-in from No Way Out 2001 finally make sense? We'll find out!

Great review HG, as they all have been.

I will however, state that I don't share your love for this match, it was good and a fine entry on a PPV that you rightly call one of the best ever, but for me it didn't live up to the main event nor the No Mercy tag from the previous month.

I liked the emphasis on the character of the teams and the dissension between Angle and Benoit, but the action dragged in places, it was a few minutes too long and the ending was flat. MSG not really being into the Guerrero's (and the general presence of Chavo, who I despise) means I don't have the fondest memories of it. Might give it a rewatch to see if that changes actually.

• Awards Moderator

Great review HG, as they all have been.

I will however, state that I don't share your love for this match, it was good and a fine entry on a PPV that you rightly call one of the best ever, but for me it didn't live up to the main event nor the No Mercy tag from the previous month.

I liked the emphasis on the character of the teams and the dissension between Angle and Benoit, but the action dragged in places, it was a few minutes too long and the ending was flat. MSG not really being into the Guerrero's (and the general presence of Chavo, who I despise) means I don't have the fondest memories of it. Might give it a rewatch to see if that changes actually.

I did love the match, but I'd actually agree with you on both those comparisons - the No Mercy match and the Elimination Chamber are both better. I still loved it though!

And thanks!

Whoevers bright idea it was to redesign MSG wants stabbing, the old look was just gorgeous and improved everything it touched

They make this show and the 2000 Rumble among my favourites they've done. I could watch Steiner's debut all day long. I think the 2007 Rumble was at the old look too and that was a pretty great show too

That Survivor Series match is awesome, and you're bang on HG, that entrance is SIIIICK.

Also, I might be wrong, but was Rey's mask really ill-fitting during that match? I seem to remember him adjusting it all the time. That and the pattern on his gear hurt my eyes.

• Paid Members

I think the 2007 Rumble was at the old look too and that was a pretty great show too

2008. It was the best year for it to be there, watching "smart" MSG dickheads lose their mind for Cena's surprise return then remembering he "sucks" and booing instead - priceless.

• Awards Moderator

I forgot to mention, last night's match marked Kurt's 3 year anniversary since his debut.

Armageddon now, anyway. This show was one of those ones where they gave us Torrie Wilson on the poster.

220px-Armageddon02.jpg

For those too young, or old, to know, being a teenager when Torrie Wilson was the poster girl for WWE… what a time to be going through adolescence. You can keep your Sunnys and your Sables. It's all about Torrie.

The match:

The show opening gives us THE END IS NEEEEEEEEA - random thought, they should remix this for Nia Jax so it goes THE END IS NIIIIIIIIA, it'd give her an auto-nostalgia pop and it'd be 10,000x better than not being like most girls - and Freddie Blassie in his warehouse. How many times did they use that footage of Blassie? I liked Blassie. His performance with Bischoff in '03 was great, and his book was a good read.

What else? Oh, Triple H vs Shawn Michaels in the Two Out Of Three Falls match was the main event, and I was crushed I wasn't going to get to see it because of lack of Sky Sports nobody fucking tell me this was on Channel 4 as well. I've comforted myself in the years since by telling myself it wouldn't have lived up to the Summerslam match anyway. 

So yeah, Big Show's out first despite being WWE Champion, and he's in his leotard-top-jeans-bottoms period. Also Paul Heyman's with him. The belt looks tiny on him. The crowd stood up when his music hit but they didn't really make much noise.

Kurt gets a reaction, though the "You Suck" isn't as loud as normal. How much must it have cost to have those flames lit on the set for the whole show?

Chioda's the referee, guys, we're in safe hands. Remember when title matches didn't require 10 minutes of introductions to pad the PPV out?

Kurt starts the match with a takedown attempt but gets powered away. Kurt manages to lock in a headlock but gets powered down again as the "let's go Angle" chant starts up. He then gets a front facelock and elbows his way out of Show's power counter, but gets dumped over the top and onto Heyman. Show goes to check on him, Angle has snuck up behind him and chucked HIM over the top!

I think he's already had more offence than at Backlash 2000.

Ringside Brawl! We've not had one of those for bloody ages, it feels like! Kurt might be a bit rusty because that was all Show. Angle gets put back in the ring, goes to hit Show on the apron, Show grabs him on the throat and throws him over the top again then Beale Tosses him back in from the apron. Clothesline. Cole's talking about Heyman doing wonders with Big Show but everyone's putting the work into making him feel as legitimate a threat as possible here.

The stat they want to put over most? 64 inch chest. 

Sidewalk slam and Angle kicks out. Since I wrote that thing about Angle having had more offence than at Backlash 2000, he hasn't got a single move in. I think I jinxed it.

Just as I write that, Angle mounts a comeback, tries for a cross body but gets hit with the Final Cut, and kicks out. The crowd are not surprised because that one never really got over as a finisher, did it? "USA" chant. That'll teach Big Show.

Bearhug, Angle fights out again by playing a bit dirty, then jumps on Show's back with a sleeper which pops Show down to a knee. He gets up again, though, and chucks Kurt over his head. It looks a bit like his trousers are falling down. Angle hits a Tornado DDT! Both men down as an "Angle" chant starts. He's a babyface here, though as you've seen, I might need air raid to tell me if he's supposed to have been at this point.

Kurt takes a leaf out of Mysterio's book and hits a basement dropkick to keep Show down, and then one from Edge's book to hit a Missile Dropkick. That's a really nice touch, actually, using moves from two of his biggest opponents of the year to take down his literally-biggest opponent of the year. This is entirely my interpretation, though, as they don't actually mention any of that on commentary.

Kurt goes up again - he's going for a Moonsault Press! It kind of doesn't work! Well, it does, but it's more like a top rope double-foot Pele Kick than anything. Basically he backlipped off the top and kicked Show in the head on the way down. You couldn't reeeeally call it a Moonsault but it worked nevertheless. Show kicks out then clotheslines him down again.

Show goes for that other finisher he tried for a bit - the SmackDown games variously called it the Alley Oop and the Tori Suplex, hey, member Tori? I member - Kurt jumps out and hits the Angle Slam on Big Show! Backlash 2000 this is not! Show kicks out though. Straps are down, crowd is on his side, Anklelock applied and countered into a chokeslam?! No! Rollup into another Anklelock! 

Show's using Chioda to try and get to the ropes, and it's when you put him next to a normal sized person like that that you realise just how big he is. Kurt gets knocked back into Chioda and it's a ref bump, allowing Heyman (who's up from his bump now) to throw a chair into the ring. "We want Brock" chant from the crowd, as I believe Lesnar was supposed to turn up for this.

Angle tries a chairshot, Show punches the chair, Angle tries again and connects with an unprotected headshot. Goes for a pin, Chioda's awake, Show doesn't really kick out, more throws Angle into the ref again. Anklelock for the third time, Show is TAPPING OUT but the ref's down.

A-TRAIN RUN IN! I wasn't expecting that! Derailer is hit, or was it called the Train Wreck, that over the shoulder backbreaker anyway, might be Train Wreck, I think Derailer was the former Baldo Bomb. Show gets up first, CHOKESLAM.

Kurt Angle project chokeslam count: 17 (8 to Kurt)

The crowd goes a bit nuts now, though, because BROCK LESNAR RUN IN! I'd never thought of Brock as being all that popular in 2002 (probably because I didn't like him much after he won the title, in my opinion at the time, way too soon - going from Triple H to Hogan to Undertaker to Rock to some unknown guy who's not even been in it for six months? Come on, I thought at the time) but he absolutely is, they're going crazy for him. F5 to Big Show and he's after Paul Heyman! They both run backstage, Angle's starting to wake up, so's Chioda (he even does a 'get rid of the cobwebs' head shake), 1, 2 … dramatic pause … 3! Kurt Angle is the WWE Champion again!

"NUMBER 3!" he says as he celebrates, gallons of spittle falling from his mouth like turning a tap on. Brock helped quite a lot, but this'll all play out in the months to come.

My thoughts:

Kurt got his win back, finally. Match wasn't the best - nothing to recommend going back and watching again - but it was okay. The Lesnar interference went down well.

Angle landmarks:

Third WWE Championship win

PPV record so far:

21 wins by pinfall
8 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
14 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

And that's 2002 done and dusted. Onto 2003 next, and more He Who Must Not Be Named, Except He Ends Up Having To Be Because He And Kurt Are Like Sami Zayn And Kevin Owens At This Point.

• Awards Moderator

They're at it one more time; the Ziggler vs. Kingston of their generation. It's Royal Rumble 2003!

Before I start this one, I have a strong memory of this match, and this is why. Remember those times when it was quite a big thing to make MVs (musical videographs) of certain things you liked in wrestling? You'd get the video file and crack on with Windows Movie Maker and its constant crashes to make your little tribute? Yeah, well, I did one for this match. It had a reputation as a classic a couple of years after it happened, and I, on Christmas holidays and clearly with nothing better to do, thought, this'd make a good music video. I set the edited highlights (all perfectly synced to key moments in the song) to Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb'. Which, if nothing else, could be considered quite prescient if you take the state of Benoit's brain into account even in 2003.

I also made an ECW one to 'Fuck The World' by The Vines at the height of the 'Rise And Fall' DVD's popularity and ECW nostalgia (I've got rid of it now, but I had November To Remember 2000 on VHS as well) and an FWA one to 'Rock And Roll' by Led Zeppelin that I'm sure Andy Quildan contacted me on MySpace about to ask if he could put it on an IPW:UK DVD.

I don't believe any of these videos have survived. They were probably quite, quite shit but I put some work into those things. Anyway, if you decide to watch this match back as well, stick The Wall on and see how well they sync up. Dark Side Of The Moon/Wizard Of Oz has nothing on this.

The match:

Once again, the WWE Champion is out first, and the camera is covered in water for some reason.

OH! This is wonderful! Kurt is out with Team Angle, and they're all wearing matching singlets and they all do the same poses and they're even all WALKING the same. Lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely. Loved Team Angle. Get American Alpha in with him after Hall Of Fame, it'll save them, I know it will.

I think Kurt's a heel again. Benoit appears to be a face. This is for the title. He marches straight for Angle, and Team Angle shove him away, they get into a shoving match and all the SmackDown referees turn up and send Haas and Benjamin to the back. Nooooo

Did I mention the knee brace last time? I can't even recall if he had it on for the Big Show match but he's got it on tonight. Right knee.

Headlock by Benoit to start and he very quickly tries for a Sharpshooter. Kurt slides outside. The commentators just explained the knee brace, apparently Lesnar did it and Kurt's playing it up.

Running the ropes, Benoit ends it with a dropkick, bit more rope running, Angle pops in a sleeper, countered, Dragon Screw by Benoit, Sharpshooter again - AH, he's targeting the knee, I get it now! - but Angle reaches the ropes.

Benoit's turn this month for a shoulder into the ringpost, and then Kurt targets the back of Benoit's neck with blows RIGHT as the announcers start talking about his history of neck injuries! What are the odds! Nice clear story to the match itself if you come to it without context, anyway.

Chop exchange which Benoit gets the better of. He hits a northern lariat and then he GIVES the knee-to-the-gut-flip-bump rather than taking it as usual.

Cole's talking about how Benoit "sacrificed his family" to be in this position and I feel REALLY uncomfortable.

Really uncomfortable. I wish they'd edited that sentence out.

Yeah.

Right, so, Angle took the Bret bump, he slingshotted Benoit over the ropes but then got hit with a DDT on the apron which makes a big impact, and looks good, and looks painful, without them shouting HARDEST PART OF THE RING HARDEST PART OF THE RING. Times have changed. Angle kicked out, just, then avoided a top rope headbutt. Kurt tries for the Angle Slam, and the third attempt at the Sharpshooter is successful, it's locked in! Looks like Kurt's bleeding from the mouth as he reaches the ropes.

Benoit's using all Angle's usual moves against him tonight, he just did a back suplex just like Kurt usually does to him. Belly to belly takes him down though and he gets chucked through the middle rope so Angle takes a breather, and it's like I'm predicting the announcers at this point because Tazz just used the words "chucked" and "breather" seconds after I typed them.

Brief Ringside Brawl - he's phased them out, I think - and Angle's now in control. Clothesline makes a THUNK sound effect but Benoit kicks out. 

Chinlock City! It's been a while! Grapevine is locked in too.

Benoit tries to power out of it, and eventually does, but gets a massive belly to belly in return. "Woo!" and the 'I'm stoked' circly walk thing, then another suplex, and then Chinlock City Part II.

Benoit fights out again and a double clothesline with another THUNK and they're both down.

Chioda's counting and the crowd's counting along with him. This should not be thought of as unusual but it's such a novelty these days. Cole possibly makes an excellent point that if Angle stayed down, he'd retain his title. Is that right?

German Suplex time, and Benoit does two, Angle does one, Benoit does one, and they're both down again. Tazz says "this is awesome". IT'S ALL HIS FAULT.

Benoit does his throat cut thing (oh) and snots his bogeys all over Angle which is vile even if you don't turn out to be a double murderer. He goes up to the top rope and Angle does the top rope sprint belly to belly. He attempts the Angle Slam again, but Benoit counters into the Crossface. Drama tension drama tension, Angle reaches the ropes so Benoit sticks on the Anklelock! Angle counters it into an Anklelock of his own, and possibly knees Benoit in the back of the head as well. Benoit counters into another Crossface.

Kurt tries to get out again, Crossface is locked n another time and they're teasing a tap, but he rolls through and hits the Angle Slam. Both down again. One bloke in the second row's loving it, but doesn't react when Benoit just kicks out.

Straps down and the Anklelock's back on but Benoit bounces him into the second turnbuckle. Neat little rollup from Benoit gets a near fall, one more German from Benoit, then Angle does one, then Benoit does the flipping release German. Both men down AGAIN! 

Lots of the crowd are on their feet now. I'm thinking I should have done some sort of German Suplex tally for the Benoit/Angle matches. Probably would have been more relevant than chokeslams. Ah well.

Benoit hits the headbutt from a HUGE distance! He got most of the way across the ring to hit Angle in the shoulderblade (he's still lying on his front). The slow motion replay sees Benoit's head just bouncing off Angle's body. That ain't good for you.

Angle hits a second Angle Slam - Benoit kicks out again! The crowd are getting louder with every near fall - it's building and building really nicely.

Some of the crowd's chanting for Angle, but Benoit locks in the Crossface again, the crowd's still getting louder, they tease a tap, Angle counters into the Anklelock, the crowd STILL gets louder, Benoit tries to get out, the hold stays locked in, Benoit kicks him away but he locks it back in, he tries to kick him away again but Angle STILL keeps it locked in… GRAPEVINE! GRAPEVINE ANKLELOCK! Benoit has to tap.

Haas and Benjamin pop out to celebrate the win - Angle looks exhausted as they put him on their shoulders - and I'll stop watching before Benoit's standing ovation I think. Oh… maybe not actually, perhaps I imagined that happened, they just cut to a WWE Anthology CD advert.

Angle-Benoit series: Angle 4 - 3 Benoit

My thoughts:

This is an interesting one.

Firstly, it's shorter than I remembered. For the time it really felt like an epic, but you see matches of this length on most PPVs these days, so it's a different experience watching back.

There are also far fewer finisher kick outs than I thought. It's the first time the Angle Slam's been kicked out of twice (see landmarks) and lots of submission counters (no more than usual with these two though) but other than that … this could be an effect of the time as well, because again you get a lot more finisher kick outs in a Cena match on Raw in 2015 than here, but it is something I associated with the match that's not really there.

So, I have to say, I am a tiny bit underwhelmed here. Maybe that's not the right word, actually, but it didn't quite meet the expectations my memory had set up.

The finishing sequence, however, is amazing. Not because of the escalation of the match itself (well, not just that) but because of the escalation of the crowd noise and involvement as it keeps going and building and building and getting more intense. People are totally invested and it feels natural and organic and exciting, and that's a bloody rare thing these days.

It's interesting watching it so soon after all their other matches. It's not exactly like Cena/Punk or RVD/Lynn in that each time they meet they've developed new counters to their counters, but there's development and familiarity that you can trace back to their other matches.

This one's probably the hardest hitting and definitely has the highest stakes - but I'd still go with Unforgiven as my favourite or the series.

Angle landmarks:

First match with Team Angle involved (barely!)

First time the Angle Slam is kicked out of twice

First Anklelock with a grapevine

PPV record so far:

21 wins by pinfall
9 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
14 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

It's not the last Kurt will see of the other guy, though, because we've got the 'Six Man Tag that turned into a Handicap Match because Edge got injured' match from No Way Out next time.

Archived