The Kurt Angle Match Marathon

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

HG, not sure its worth doing (I know this worked out well for Angle HOF induction) but you would consider doing Angle's TNA/non-WWE PPV matches as well? (I think he did one or two for NJPW and IGF during his TNA run)

Bugger that, it's taking me long enough to do WWE! For the context of the Hall of Fame only WWE will count anyway, and every match is a click away on the Network. So no thanks, no chance at all I'll be doing that. If you want it, I bequeath his post WWE career to you.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rock/Hogan is one of my favourite matches.

I love the crowd reactions, and especially the rocks face when he gets the "YOUUUUU" finger point during the hulk up. Fantastic stuff. Shame we never got Austin/Hogan at some point.

it used to irritate me cos I preferred Rocky by a mile and didn't appreciate smarky Canadians turning on him. Seen it again recently though and just had a total blast from bell to bell, it's totally incredible

• Awards Moderator

Angle. Edge. Hair. Hair. Judgment Day.

The match:

I've said before I had this show on DVD and have watched it loads of times. I'd totally forgotten this match had a Trish vs. Stacy match on it.

Totally new singlet style for Kurt as he comes out to boos and "You Suck"s for the Hair vs Hair match. It's one of those ones with the big A on it.

Edge gets a pretty decent pop.

This show had a good card. Between this, Lesnar and the Hardys, RVD vs Eddie Guerrero and the Cell match… ooh, hang on, we're off.

Lockup to start this rubber match. Much is at stake. Much. When was the last time they did a Hair vs Hair match? Trump and Vince?

Lots of rope running and avoiding, Edge gets a quick rollup, stalemate. Angle resorts to punching. He gets flung over the top rope and hit with a baseball slide. Ringside Brawl, again instigated by Edge. He knows what he's doing. 

Or not, because Angle did the 'wait for him to slide back in and stomp him' trick from last month. 

Or maybe, because like last month, Edge got out of it, hit a back body drop and Angle gets his arms trapped in the ropes! Edge spears him, tries again but Kurt's got his arms free and Kurt hits a MAD BELLY TO BELLY OVER THE TOP ROPE TO THE FLOOR. Whoof. It's still no Lesnar vs Shannon Moore but that was a bump and a half.

This was the first PPV where they Got The F Out wasn't it?

Brian Hebner's party trick appears to be cowering and falling over in fear of heels. That will get old quickly.

Corner strikes and counters AND WILL YOU FUCKING LOOK AT THAT

ANGLE JUST HIT AN ARN ANDERSON STYLE SPINEBUSTER

IT'S LIKE HE FUCKING HEARD YOU LOT TALKING ABOUT SPINEBUSTERS

AND HE FUCKING HIT ONE

HE HAS NEVER DONE A SPINEBUSTER BEFORE

AND YET

HE DID

Match is on pause for a moment while I try and find video footage of this.

Or a gif, a gif would do.

Right, here you go. 

https://youtu.be/YKzzyl14DZw?t=32s

SPINEBUSTER. HAVE SOME OF THAT ARN.

-----------

Sidenote: Thank FUCK for autosave. My browser crashed and I thought I'd lost everything up to this point.

-----------

Back to the match. Edge is reeling, Kurt hits a DDT for 2, and there are loads of red Hulkamania t-shirts in the crowd.

Chinlock City.

Do you think the barber had to sit there on that stage they keep showing for the whole PPV?

Edge got back up but Angle pulled him back down by the hair because foreshadowing, and hit a suplex for 2.

Front facelock.

Hard cam gives us a desperately unpleasant view of Kurt's backside. For longer than was necessary.

Some lovely long-distance crane-style shots as Edge fights out again, Edge hits a belly to belly of his own that looks slightly different to any other belly to belly I've ever seen (not in a bad way though) and Kurt's in pain now.

Forearm, clothesline, spinning heel kick, Edge comeback in full effect. Edge-o-Matic, kick out at 2. Belly to belly by Kurt, it looks like they're competing to see who can throw the other one the highest.

Angle almost goes over the top rope again but lands on the apron, so Edge does a basement dropkick to the ankles and down he goes. Edge then launches himself over in a running dive with very little finesse but in a way that looks like he's genuinely trying to launch himself in an attack rather than do a nice dive. I like it.

Edge up to the top rope, belly to belly superplex is blocked this month and Edge hits a missile dropkick, but Kurt fights back with a HIGH German Suplex. There's definitely something to this 'who can throw the other guy highest' theory.

Edge hits the Edgecution, facebuster variation, JR acts like he's not seen it before despite him doing it last month.

Angle hits the belly to belly superplex this time, Edge goes flying almost the entire way across the ring but still manages to kick out!

Superkick by Edge puts Angle in the corner, Edge brings him back to the mat with a DDT, Angle kicks out. I'm with Lawler, Edge would look horrible bald.

Ref bump! Angle ducked a Spear and Brian Hebner ate it instead.

WAHAHHAAA, release German Suplex and Edge goes FLYING into the air in a backflip. Kurt wins the competition.

Ref's down so Kurt goes for a chair, but Edge spears him! Ref's still down, so no joy. The next Spear attempt is countered by a swift kick to the moob, but the third attempt connects, Brian wakes up and Kurt kicks out at the very last possible moment - huge pop for that kick out!

Kurt is looking pretty beaten as he slowly stands, but he's alive and just hit Edge with a Spear of his own! Stamp stamp stamp, ANGLE SLAM! Edge kicks out! SO close! Angry stamp stamp stamp! Another big pop for this. "Two men who refuse to lose!" says JR!

Straps down, Anklelock, countered by an enziguiri. There's a lot of ways to counter the Anklelock. It's not the best submission for security, is it, really.

He locks it in again regardless, Edge kicks him into the ropes, he rebounds off, gets caught in a rollup, EDGE WINS! Kurt's getting shaved!

But Angle's not done, he starts beating up Edge after the bell for a RINGRINGRINGRINGRING of the bell, but an Edgecution shuts him up.

Edge takes him to the barber's area but Angle runs away. Edge runs after him. To be continued because we're cutting to a skit of Booker T and Goldust in bed together at the Marriott Hotel nearby. Bloody great partnership, these two.

I'm not watching the hair shaving bit, I'm afraid. They traumatise me because they remind me of that 'Beat The Barber' segment from that kid's show Ant and Dec used to have on BBC before SMTV Live, where a kid from the audience got their head shaved against their will.

Edge wins the series 2-1.

My thoughts:

Definitely better than the Backlash match. Great near falls, great action, just a great match all round. One of the best I've watched for a while in this project.

Angle landmarks:

First appearance of the 'A' singlet style (okay, I'm kind of scraping the landmark barrel now)

SPINEBUSTER

Last match with hair!

PPV record so far:

19 wins by pinfall
5 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
12 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission
1 loss by unconsciousness
1 loss by elimination (Royal Rumble)
1 team loss (Survivor Series)
5 multi-man match losses (Angle not defeated)

Next up, it's baldie vs baldie, American Hero vs Real American, as Angle takes on Hulk Hogan himself!

• Awards Moderator

Kurt Angle vs. Hulk Hogan, King of the Ring 2002 time!

The match:

Looking at the red dots on the Network, that Ric Flair vs. Eddie Guerrero match went on for ages, didn't it?

Eurhg, I fucking HATE the terrible overdub they've done of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) for Hogan's entrance (and I am in that minority that would pick Hendrix Hogan over Real American). The crowd are going nuts but it just doesn't sound right so I'm going to take the Network back to the start of the entrance and mute it, and play Hendrix while Hogan's doing all his posing. It just feels better that way.

Yes. This is better. Lord save me, I liked red and yellow 2002 era Hendrix Hogan. See, he can't be a racist if he had Jimi Hendrix for his music.

The good thing about his entrance at this time is that they went on for ages because of how much he played to the crowd so you get to listen to a decent amount of the song.

Oh bloody hell, just missed the start of Angle's music there. Rewind, mute off.

The crowd's tired themselves out for Hogan so Kurt doesn't get an initial pop - they wake up for "You Suck" though. Kurt is not yet owning his baldness, he's got the giant head protector thing and the wig on. Hogan's got his bandana on so he's not owning his baldness right now either.

They square off. "Hogan" chants. They looooove him. Angle tries a lockup and Hogan powers him away.

Angle tries a waistlock, Hogan does a headlock, Angle goes to a wristlock. I could swear Lawler just said they were showing the PPV live in Eadu. Which is nice, I mean, the Imperial Advanced Weapons Division science team could do with a bit of WWE in their downtime from kyber crystal refinery.

Kurt's gone out of the ring for a rest (Hulk powered out of the wristlock before) and Hogan wants him to come back in. Wrestling didn't work so it's punches in the corner time. I am reminded how Hogan used to run the ropes at this time. Different.

The bandana's off and we have one bald bloke now. Angle thrown over the top rope, and the Ringside Brawl begins. Angle hasn't instigated one of these for a while. It's all Hogan on the outside.

Angle's head is slammed into the turnbuckle 9 times and then instead of a 10th he gets a big punch. The crowd love it, and for some reason they're counting along, going 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5 … they're not just saying 10 over and over again. Weird.

Angle seemed to counter Hogan by thrusting his bum into his gut and they're both down… ah wait, replay shows it was a low blow and he's stomping and choking on Hulk in the corner now.

What would this equivalent match be today? Gable vs Goldberg?

Back suplex for Hulkster, then another one, Hogan kicks out. He hits a suplex of his own and then a bodyslam but Kurt locks in a sleeper hold. Hogan's head was so red and wrinkly around this time. 

Chinlock City.

I can't bloody wait for Angle vs Orton at the end of this project. Chinlock vs Chinlock.

Two hands down, third hand up, Hogan locks in a sleeper himself but gets another back suplex. JR keeps trying to emphasise that while Angle is completely bald now, Hogan has SOME hair.

You hear us, world? SOME hair! SOME!

Angle Slam, though it didn't much look like one, Hogan kicks out. Straps are down but it's no match for the Hulking Up that's happening at the same time. Punch punch big boot, instead of hitting the leg drop he rips the wig off Kurt Angle!

No.

No no no.

He doesn't do that.

HE SPLITS HIS WIG.

MARK HENRY TIME

WIG SPLIT

JR's busy trying to put over how hideous and deformed Kurt is because he's bald. Kurt rolls out of the ring and Hogan wears the wig on top of his own bald head (but he's neither hideous nor deformed because, as mentioned above, he has SOME hair.)

Angle's back with a chair, we get the same accidentally-hits-the-ropes-rebound-into-face thing from Backlash, Hogan thinks he's got this won, goes for the Leg Drop, BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL counter into the Anklelock!

Hogan tries for the ropes, he can't get there, he fights and fights and tries to kick Angle away, ANGLE KEEPS IT ON, Hogan tries again, ANGLE ROLLS WITH IT AND KEEPS IT ON, can the Hulkster hang on HULK HOGAN JUST TAPPED OUT HULK HOGAN TAPPED OUT HULK HOGAN TAPPED OUT!

Fuck that was a good finish.

A rare submission victory for Kurt, actually, I make that the sixth time he's made someone tap out on PPV and half of those were in the Ultimate Submission match.

Aaaand cut to a Booker T/Goldust segment. Yay! Goldust is pretending to be The Rock but the actual Rock turned up! Get Goldust in the Hall of Fame. And The Rock for that matter.

My thoughts:

The majority of the match isn't anything special (up to the point where Kurt came back in with the chair, my favourite bit was when I put Jimi Hendrix on) but that finish is fantastic. Skip to Kurt running in with the chair and watch the closing sequence with the Anklelock. Excellent stuff. And fair play to Hogan for tapping out as well.

Angle landmarks:

First PPV match as a bald man

PPV record so far:

19 wins by pinfall
6 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
12 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

I'll do the Vengeance Triple Threat tonight as well. May as well.

• Awards Moderator

Right! Kurt Angle's back in the WWE Championship hunt, and this time he's got Undertaker and The Rock in a Triple Threat. He's back in the main event for the first time since the Royal Rumble as well.

Now, up to this point our man hasn't had much luck in Triple Threats. He didn't come out of WrestleMania 2000, Summerslam 2000 or No Mercy 2001 as the winner.

Or, another way of looking at it, he's actually been quite lucky in Triple Threats despite this, because he's never actually been the loser in one. It's always been someone else being pinned. 

Let's see how it goes this time. Rock wins.

The match:

The Rock is out first and the crowd goes predictable nuts for him. There's one woman screaming her head off louder than everyone else. Little did Ricky Knight know, watching this match in 2002 as I'm sure he probably wasn't, that 15 years later The Rock would be making a film about his family.

Kurt's out second, proudly bald now, basically wearing American Alpha's get-up. I could swear they've worn that design in NXT. Some good boos for him.

And finally, Undertaker, the Undisputed Champion, instrumental 2002 music playing, motorbike still there, that cool t-shirt I either wanted or actually had as a spotty teenager, wearing the belt.

This feels like it is going to be a good match.

Oh FOR FUCK'S SAKE NOT EARL HEBNER FUCK FUCK FUCKING FUCKING FUCK I HATE HIM SO MUCH.

Before I start the match itself, let me see if I can find a picture of what Kurt's wearing.

Right, here we go. It's a photobucket link rather than just an image, but it'll do:

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/crowena/media/kurt_camosinglet.jpg.html

More than anything Angle's worn to date, I could see Jordan and Gable in that.

Sorry. Match. Undertaker and Rock are facing each other down to start, Kurt's in the middle of them demanding they pay attention to him and not just each other. So they both twat him and Undertaker hits a Big Boot then Rock throws him over the top to the floor.

Undertaker and Rock bit.

I can REALLY see Alpha wearing that design. WrestleMania. Make it happen. Kurt in their corner. Rikishi in the Usos' corner. Relive the old rivalry from 2000. YES. I want this.

Kurt just tried to get back in, couldn't, but Undertaker got thrown out too se Kurt threw him into the steps and he did a flip bump over them.

Kurt and Rock bit, Kurt hits a German Suplex on Rock (who wisely protects his head) and JR says nobody suplexes like Kurt Angle. Rock's being beaten in the corner now with stomps and chops and things. Rock gets him back and almost goes Kobashi, but gets a belly to belly. "Woo!" and an "Angle Sucks" chant, so he does it again! "Woo!"

Rock hits a DDT for two. JR isn't going on about how hideous Kurt is anymore so he must be used to the baldness or Vince has stopped finding it funny.

Ringside Brawl between Angle and Rock until Undertaker clocks him and takes him out. There's a right twat in the front row with loads of replica belts.

Undertaker and Rock bit. Taker stops Angle getting back in the ring.

The Rock just hit Undertaker with a chokeslam?!

Kurt Angle project chokeslam count: 15 (6 to Angle)

Kurt breaks up the pin, beats up Rock a bit but Rock just did the Anklelock! Kurt fights out quickly and then hits the Rock Bottom! Everybody's stealing everybody's finisher here!

Ah no, I take back what I said about not mentioning the baldness, JR just did about three jokes in a row.

Undertaker beats up Kurt a bit and then hits the Angle Slam! They are REALLY nicking each other's finishers tonight for some reason! Rock breaks up the pin and chucks Angle out of the ring again.

Undertaker and Rock bit.

Kurt drags Rock out of the ring just after he connects with the People's Elbow and sneaks in for the pin but Undertaker kicks out. 

Okay. I've ignored him so far but can I just point this out.

Angle is busy kicking Undertaker in the corner. Earl Hebner is FUCKING SHADOWBOXING AT HIM TELLING HIM NOT TO USE CLOSED FISTS.

HE IS FUCKING KICKING HIM HEBNER,

KICKS ARE WITH FEET.

NOT HANDS.

HEBNER.

YOU FUCKING, FUCKING COCK.

I hate him SO much.

Undertaker and Angle going at it until Angle tries for a big shoulder charge and hits the ring post, sending him to the outside. Taker follows. Some twat in the crowd just tried to get to the front with his sign but security stopped him. Ha.

Undertaker and Rock bit.

After Taker gets rid of Rock, he goes back to Angle who appears to be busted open. First time in nearly a year that's happened. Apron leg drop by Taker and blood is POURING from Angle's head onto the mat and it is HORRIBLE. I don't miss the blood.

(I mean, it can add to the drama sometimes in big matches, but then you see shots like that and it's just not pleasant)

Old School time, but with a minor variation in that when he jumps off he just punches Kurt in the face. Rock's back in to break up the pin.

Undertaker and Rock bit.

Taker tries for another chokeslam but Angle comes in with a chair so Rock and Taker forget about their differences for a bit and punch him back and forth. Undertaker tries another chokeslam but it doesn't work, Hebner goes down and Angle thwacks Taker in the head with a chair. JR calls it both a skull cracker and a brain scrambler. How right he was, long term.

Angle Slam to Rock and Hebner's back up. Who will Kurt pin? He picks Undertaker first, he kicks out. He rolls over to Rock, he kicks out as well. Kurt's not bleeding as much now.

Stampy stampy stampy, Rock gets up and turns into …. a dragon screw by Rock into the Sharpshooter! Will Angle tap? No, Undertaker breaks it up.

Hebner literally just stood on Kurt Angle in a desperate attempt to stay in camera shot.

Taker hits the Last Ride on Rock but before he can pin him, Angle locks in the Anklelock! Will Undertaker tap? Kurt's apparently the only person who's ever made him do it before… he powers out and sets up another Last Ride… ANGLE LOCKS IN A TRIANGLE CHOKE WHILE HE'S UP FOR THE LAST RIDE! Nice!

The hold's locked in, but Angle's shoulders are down… Taker tries to power out, it's not working, Angle's legs are fully locked around the neck and arm, but Rock breaks it up before Taker passes out. Angle walks into a Rock Bottom, no! Anklelock! Rock rolls, counters, rollup, no 3 count! Angle up for a chokeslam! It connects!

Kurt Angle project chokeslam count: 16 (7 to Angle)

Rock Bottom to Taker and he JUST kicks out! Angle rollup to Rock! Kickout! Angle Slam to Undertaker! Straps down! He's not bleeding at all now. Rock Bottom to Angle! 1, 2, Undertaker leaps to break it up, HE'S TOO LATE, 3, THE ROCK IS THE CHAMPION!

So much for that record of never winning but never being pinned in a Triple Threat.

My thoughts:

First half's fine - I mean, it's three of their top top names in the same match, it's going to be good to watch - but the second half of this match is where it really kicks into gear. The closing stretches are excellent stuff where you can really buy into all the finishers and near falls and not be sure who's going to win (unless you already know, and even then it's great fun to see it all play out).

Angle landmarks:

First (and only) Undisputed Championship match

First time being pinned in a Triple Threat

PPV record so far:

19 wins by pinfall
6 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
13 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

After this brief main event interlude, we get fully into the SmackDown Six Era next time, because it's the great Summerslam 2002 event, and Angle vs Rey Mysterio is the opener!

After this brief main event interlude, we get fully into the SmackDown Six Era next time, because it's the great Summerslam 2002 event, and Angle vs Rey Mysterio is the opener!

Looking forward to this one. One of the best opening PPV matches ever.

• Awards Moderator

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I wrote up my Summerslam 2002 post. Clicked 'Add Post'. My internet went down. Lost the whole fucking thing.

FUCK.

I'm not watching it again straight away and rewriting it. I'm just going to try and remember what I wrote the first time. This means it'll probably be in the wrong order.

Fuck fuck fuck.

You know how great this match is, anyway. You all remember this one. It's great. Go watch it. It's only 10 minutes or something. Go now.

The match:

Angle got a good reaction when he came out. I heard a few cheers as well as boos. "You Suck" was pretty loud but was done with a kind of joy.

Things I miss about 2002 Rey Mysterio

- His theme song before they replaced it with booyaka booyaka

- The white contact lenses

- The fact he wasn't a massive musclebody at this point

- His agility and mobility before his legs and knees and everything meant he couldn't do much of that anymore

He doesn't enter properly but hits Angle from behind with a rana. There then followed a huge series of moves that went so quickly I could barely keep up with them, but they were all really cool and they were going at a really fast pace.

Angle slowed it down and took advantage. Lots of nice counters though. Kurt countered a wheelbarrow into a German Suplex, did a half crab, and showed off some power moves you don't normally see from him like a backbreaker and a sidewalk slam.

Cole kept saying that Angle was keeping Mysterio grounded, but he kept saying it when both men were standing so it made no sense.

This was a full-on brand split match, Jimmy Korderas wearing blue, Cole and Tazz on commentary.

The Angle Slam was attempted and Rey did a lovely counter into an arm drag and Kurt got sent to the outside.

Oh, before that there was a duelling "let's go Angle / Angle sucks" chant.

Rey tried to go for a dive but Korderas stopped him and leaned over to check on Angle. Rey leapt over Korderas and did a somersault plancha which got a "holy shit" chant. This seemed almost quaint in 2017 when moves like that are par for the course in pretty much all matches.

Back in the ring, he Drops the Dime, Kurt kicks out, there's a few Anklelock attempts but Rey kept getting out of it, 619 and West Coast Pop, Angle kicks out, but gets stuck on the top rope via a nifty flip over a charging Kurt by Mysterio. He tries a top rope rana, Angle jumps out of it and locks in the Ankleock, Rey has to tap.

Kurt wins, but Rey looks good in defeat. I was surprised to see Mysterio lose in his PPV debut but he was a star so it was okay. (I had forgotten who had won the match beforehand so the end was unknown to me)

My thoughts:

Great match. I explained it better in the original post but that's lost forever now so I'll just say it's a great match. Watch it. Then watch the rest of the show because Summerslam 2002's one of the best they've ever done.

Angle landmarks:

First duelling chant ("let's go Angle / Angle sucks") - sigh

PPV record so far:

19 wins by pinfall
7 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
13 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

Fingers crossed it fucking posts this time.

• Awards Moderator

My current target with this is to reach the end of 2002 by the end of February. Which means that tonight I'm also tackling Unforgiven, where Kurt has another match with You Know Who.

This match of theirs was actually my favourite. People used to go on about the Royal Rumble 2003 match but Unforgiven 2002 was always my pick. Don't know how it holds up now as I haven't seen it since Benoit murdered his family.

The match:

There's no red dots on this show on the Network. Benoit's fault?

Now, I remember loving this match at the time because it was pure wrestling. All technical, grappling stuff, no brawling. Or that's how I remember it.

Kurt out first. The "You Suck" sounds out of tune. I don't know how a chant can sound out of tune, but it does. Chimel is announcing him - I've got so used to Finkel!

Benoit has his Forceable Entry music and AH! There's an advert for it!

They get straight into it, circling, lockup, pretty much going around the ropes with it, neither will break it and they both fall out of the ring. They stare each other down and try again.

Takedown, counter, takedown, counter, the Network's taken on a life of its own and is fast forwarding to the end of the show of its own accord, BASTARD TECHNOLOGY IS NOT MY FRIEND TONIGHT, going to have to quit the app and try again.

Where was I...

Ah yes. Back at the right point.

Takedown, counter, takedown, counter, Crossface attempt, Angle in the ropes. Stalemate.

This is pretty great so far.

Takedown again, Angle in command, rolling Benoit about, Anklelock attempt, Benoit in the ropes. Stalemate again. Intense.

Benoit wrist lock countered into Angle hammerlock, Benoit tries to roll out, Angle keeps it on, counter, counter, headlock by Angle and Benoit gets knocked down, Crossface attempt, Sunset Flip, 2 for Benoit, Angle pin, Benoit pin, Angle pin, Benoit pin, Angle pin, Benoit powers out … it's that mega-pin-counter-chain-sequence you've seen on a million indy shows when they want a "WORKRATE~!" pop but it actually looks genuine and… well, real… here. It doesn't look like a sequence they've meticulously choreographed beforehand. Fucking Will Ospreay and Ricochet. Pile of shite.

Benoit's been knocked out of the ring anyway, and I may have forgotten this bit of the match, which is silly of me, because it's Kurt Angle and there has to be a Ringside Brawl somewhere.

Back in the ring, and he hits the same backbreaker he did in the Mysterio match. This could become part of the repertoire. 

Then they both sit down and spoon for a bit.

(It's a reverse bear hug with a grapevine, but not really. They're spooning.)

Kurt knees Benoit in the gut and he goes down again.

It may have just been the first part of this match I remembered. It's turned into usual Benoit-vs-Angle. 

Some shoulder charges work, then one doesn't and Angle goes into the ring post. Then Benoit drives him into the opposite one. If I were Kurt I'd be on the watch for my medals, he'll have them down his tights in a second if he gets the chance.

Benoit counters the various suplexes Angle tries to hit but eventually Kurt manages a belly to belly and they're both down.

Oh… the no-red-dots thing is for the HLA segment, isn't it.

Benoit German Suplex! And another! Kurt blocks the third and hits two of his own… his third's countered as well, Benoit hits another, then Angle gets out and hits another three! SO MANY GERMAN SUPLEXES. The crowd applauds.

Straps down… Angle Slam countered FUUUUUUUUCK release German Suplex and Angle flips RIGHT over.

Benoit's gone up to the top rope, Angle sprints like Dolph Ziggler up a ladder only not shit and hits a belly to belly superplex, but Benoit kicks out.

Just realised, Kurt didn't try for the pin after his German Suplexes this time. He's learning. He… remembers.

Muldoononraptors.png

Anklelock got countered while I was looking for a Robert Muldoon picture and it looks like Benoit's going for a Tombstone but it was actually a shoulder breaker and he's heading up top to give himself a bit more brain damage. Headbutt connects. "Benoit might have taken a lot out of himself", says Cole. :-(

Crossface locked in - Angle's teasing a tapout… he really wants to… the hand's reaching… for Benoit's ankle! Crossface TURNED INTO THE ANKLELOCK! ROLLED INTO THE CROSSFACE! This is another bit I must have remembered. Countered into a rollup, no, another Anklelock! Benoit teasing a tap out… he reaches the ropes. Angle does a Crossface! Great sequence.

It's taking a very long time for Benoit to counter this, but he does, and rolls Angle up - FEET ON THE ROPES - and gets the three?!?! Cheating bastard! Angle's utterly peed off and you can't blame him as Benoit grins and snarls at the same time at him. Cheap victory. Booooo. I think he was the face here as well.

Then we cut to Marc Loyd (remember him?) interviewing Brock Lesnar.

Angle-Benoit series: Angle 3 - 3 Benoit

My thoughts:

I still really enjoyed that - possibly the most I've enjoyed a Benoit match in about 10 years. If it hadn't been Benoit, I'd have fucking LOVED it. The opening and closing stretches are sublime. I'd still put this as my favourite of their matches.

Angle landmarks:

There weren't any, really… but that's to be expected nearly 3 years in!

PPV record so far:

19 wins by pinfall
7 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
14 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

We've got a cracker next time. It's the No Mercy Tag Match! Yay!

• Awards Moderator

I didn't do a match yesterday because… I didn't. Sorry.

No Mercy time. Tag Team titles, Kurt and the Dark Lord vs Edge and Mysterio. This should be a cracker. Haven't seen it for years and years. Will it live up to how I remember it?

The match:

Two things first:

1) I always loved the opening of this PPV with Kane sitting down next to Undertaker and saying "so, how was your week?" Funny stuff, that nicely played with a kind of self-awareness of how silly their respective story lines were at the time.

2) The SmackDown tag belts were GORGEOUS. Lovely classic belt look with bits of blue on them. The kind of title belt that makes you want to be a wrestler so you could win it. 

(I know at the time they just called them the Tag Team titles and the Raw ones were the Worlds, but SmackDown Tag Titles is what they were so that's what I call them)

Benoit's out first. He gets cheered, but his partner Angle gets booed. "You Suck" is loud. Cole says this is the only title that has eluded Angle, but considering they've never been defended or existed before that's a bit harsh.

If Benoit and Angle attack each other during this match, they both get suspended without pay for a year. That's a lovely touch to add to the match and to their rivalry at the same time. Stakes.

They show the bracket for the tournament. The first round, as well as featuring the SmackDown Six, showcased how fucking DESPERATE the tag division was shortly after the brand split. We complain about the Vaudevillains and the Ascension and the Shining Stars but fuck, at least we've got loads of actual teams these days. Check out some of the pairings in the first round:

Rikishi & Mark Henry

John Cena & Billy Kidman - does anyone remember these guys teaming? Was it a one off? Were they an actual team for a bit? What a mad pair to put together.

D-Von & Ron Simmons - now this one I do remember, Simmons had shite all to do and was effectively pinned off while they tried for a month to make Bradshaw a singles star on Raw (then gave up, then broke my spirit when they did it again in 04 and made him WWE Champion) and D-Von was faltering as the Reverend and they hadn't yet given up and just put the Dudleys back together again. Actually, they may have been feuding at this time, I remember a Reverend D-Von promo about the evils of masturbation and Simmons coming out to announce he wanked all the time. This definitely happened.

Brock Lesnar & Tajiri - BROCK LESNAR AND TAJIRI WERE A TAG TEAM FOR SOME REASON. BROCK AND TAJIRI.

But if I had a chance to get one of those lovely blue belts I'd team up with any randomer who wanted me as well.

WHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAFADEOUT WHO'S THAT JUMPING OUT THE SKY

Rey has his trapdoor this month and already looks both shorter and broader than he did at Summerslam.

Edge, meanwhile, still has his Zombie music. The people LOVE Edge. You wouldn't have thought at the time that he'd only properly reach the top as a heel. I'd argue it was moving him to Raw after the year-out injury to resume the babyface push that killed it for him as a goodie. SmackDown was his natural place. Sticking him straight into a Kane feud probably didn't help.

Benoit gives Kurt a friendly tap on the back and Angle's going to start against Mysterio. Angle is 1-0 against Rey on PPV but Mysterio's got the better of him and Benoit on SmackDown recently. Kurt outwrestles Rey to start. He's got a cocky grin on his face. He picks him up and just chucks him away, indicating he wants him to tag Edge in. Rey says no.

Circling, lockup, Kurt gets a waistlock which Rey gets out of by stamping on Angle's foot and starts to use the speed to counter everything and then does a lovely top rope leapfrog rana. Angle is annoyed now. Rey was like the man of 1000 ranas at this time. Edge tagged in.

Edge is 2-1 against Kurt at this point. Lots of back and forth until Edge gets control with a hip toss and dropkick. Benoit tagged in and I'll stop until Angle comes back.

Or if something noteworthy happens. Or if I have a thought.

Like this one - Benoit loved taking that 'knee to the gut, flip bump' move, didn't he? Just about every match he had with Kurt they did it, and Edge just did it for him there.

Benoit whips Edge into the ropes just where Angle's standing and Kurt knees him in the back. To gain revenge, the next time they do it Edge Spears him off the apron and to the outside. To gain revenge for THAT, Angle pops back up the third time they do it and does the 'boing your face off the top rope' move. Angle tags in and just whoofs Edge in the abdomen with a kick and stomps on him a bit.

Edge and Mysterio should have the major advantage in this match because Edge + tag teams = a no brainer, really. He was already an 8-time tag champ at this point. He'd won them with Hogan three months before this.

Chinlock City, but with a bit of a grapevine/waistlock added to it. Bit different.

Before this project, I had never thought of Kurt Angle as a chinlock guy but it really was one of his signature moves. Like the belly to belly, which he just hit Edge with. "Woo!"

Benoit back in, see you in a bit.

(Edge just got the Bret turnbuckle bump treatment, three Germans, and Benoit goes all heelish by knocking Mysterio off the apron. Benoit wasn't heel at this point was he? Because between that and the way he won at Unforgiven you'd be forgiven (ha) for thinking it)

Angle's reaching out for the tag after an Edge superplex to Benoit. Edge gets his tag first and Rey comes zooming in and his first move's to knock Kurt off his apron - okay, maybe that's not so much a heelish thing then - before going after Benoit for their first interaction in the match.

Kurt jumps back in to get Rey a short time later after he's basement dropkicked Benoit's head off but gets dropkicked out again. He jumps back in again to break up a pin, but Edge clotheslines both Angle and himself out again.

Edge hops back in to break up the Crossface, but Angle drags him out and Ringside Brawls him for a bit. Edge must have got the upper hand though because he's able to break up Benoit's powering out from the 619 and turn it into a pin attempt. Rey goes up top but Angle sprints up for the belly to belly superplex and dispatches Edge again. Korderas has NO control over this match! Benoit pins, Rey kicks out, Angle wants in. They take turns attacking Rey's back and Kurt's legal again. Short sharp stamps to Mysterio and the backbreaker returns, fighting for its place in Angle's regular repertoire of moves.

Suplex for two. It's interesting that the match is carrying on, you'd expect following the big-moves-tag-breakdown sequence that the finish would come soon but it hasn't. Rey's been in a front facelock which he's able to counter but is sent flying with a belly to belly. Benoit tagged in again.

Double hot tag and we're on Angle and Edge again, Edge gets the hotter of the tags, hitting a back body drop and an Edge-o-Matic that Benoit breaks up the pin for. Tazz says it doesn't matter who wins because both teams are great. He's not wrong, but it doesn't sound like the most sensible call at the same time.

Angle gets plonked on the top rope, Edge throws Rey up for a big rana, Benoit tries to hit the headbutt to break up the pin but Edge moves and he hits Angle! Edge goes for the pin again - Angle just kicks out! Big noise from the crowd. Edge of your seat (ha) stuff.

Kurt hits a German, but Edge fights back by flip-throwing Mysterio into him, knocking him outside the ring. Benoit locks the Crossface on Edge but I'm not sure why - no time to think though because Rey broke it with a 619, Angle Slam, straps down, countered, Edge pin, near fall, BIG pop, Spear, pin broken up, Benoit dropkicked out, Edge moonsault-powerbombs Rey out of the ring onto Benoit, Edgecution, countered, Anklelock! WHAT a sequence!

Anklelock countered into Edge's own Anklelock, countered again and Kurt re-locks it in, EDGE TAPS, Angle and Benoit, tag team champions! First ever!

Those belts are so shiny I'm surprised Benoit hasn't shoved his down his pants yet.

Angle 2 - 2 Edge.

My thoughts:

Yeah, that match was as good as I remembered. All the combinations of people just worked so well together. If you had to nitpick, it maybe breaks down from regular tag team rules a little too often for it to mean enough at the end, but those closing sequences are so absolutely red hot that you just get caught up in it all. Either team could have won at any point, and it's great stuff.

Angle landmarks:

First 2-on-2 tag match on PPV

First Tag Team title match (SmackDown)

First Tag Team Championship win (SmackDown)

PPV record so far:

19 wins by pinfall
8 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
14 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

• Awards Moderator

Straight on to Rebellion 2002 then. Notable for Edge's first PPV main event, taking on Brock Lesnar for the WWE Title, and for being the first SmackDown only PPV.

Kurt, however, is defending the tag titles against Los Guerreros.

The match:

This, believe it or not, is Kurt Angle's first time wrestling Eddie Guerrero on PPV. You'd have thought it'd have come earlier, but no.

(Los Guerreros at this point don't have their name or matching tights or music yet.)

Kurt gets a better reaction from the UK fans, but still gets a "You Suck". It's the effect of the gold medals, I think, back when you had to be Steve Redgrave to win one as a Brit.

Or Jonathan Edwards.

He and Benoit still have their separate entrances. You're tag team champions, enter together, guys. I know that in this case it's because they hate each other but even so. The suspension threat is still there from what Cole says.

Unlike at No Mercy, the two of them are arguing over who gets to start, the crowd seems to be half chanting for Angle and half for Benoit, which is, I'm saying it, THE BEST DUELLING CHANT THERE'S EVER BEEN. It actually serves a purpose that adds to the story being told in the ring.

The Guerreros, meanwhile, are posing with the belts and taunting Angle and Benoit. Eddie gets a shove in on Angle which seems to help them decide Kurt's starting. They circle but Eddie tags in Chavo before anything happens. Crowd is definitely on Angle's side. He takes Chavo down quite easily. Lots of rope running, Angle uses his power against Chavo and gets rid of Eddie as well. Benoit tags himself in and they shout at each other a bit.

Crowd chants "we want Angle". Okay, maybe they're a bit annoying - though were the Guerreros heels at this point? This was before those 'Lie Cheat Steal' vignettes that turned them face, wasn't it? Maybe it's forgivable then. Tazz says "sorry, UK fans, you can't have him, he's ours" which is quite funny for Tazz.

Benoit/Eddie bit.

Angle tagged back in again, so is Chavo. We haven't really had Angle/Eddie yet which is a shame but Angle did just kill Chavo with a German Suplex so that was good. Eddie interferes and Benoit Germans him (Eddie BOUNCES when he lands) and then Angle and Benoit face off like they're about to hit each other, but instead hit simultaneous Germans on the Guerreros!

Chavo still being dominated by Angle as Benoit Ringside Brawls on behalf of his teammate with Eddie. Angle tags Benoit in by chopping him across the chest.

Benoit/Chavo bit, then Eddie. They do some shenanigans and the ref won't let Angle break it up and gets distracted telling him off which means the Guerreros can do it more. The referee's Brian Hebner so that isn't surprising.

"We want Angle" chant resumes.

More of the Benoit/Chavo bit.

The Guerreros beat up Benoit on the outside but Hebner is too busy telling Angle off for trying to get in the ring which means they can beat him up more. He's already almost as bad as his dad. I prefer the Korderas 'ah fuck it just let them get on with it' approach to refereeing.

Benoit/Eddie bit, then Chavo, then Eddie again, and then Chavo one more time. Benoit's been in ages.

Finally Angle gets past Hebner to knock Eddie down, but of course it's when Benoit's trying to pin Chavo so he misses it. Eddie tries to hit a Frog Splash which Hebner's fine with but hits Chavo. FINALLY Angle gets the hot tag, so does Eddie, but Angle's taking them both on at the same time! Back body drop for Eddie! German Suplex for Chavo! "Woo!" Belly to belly for Eddie! Chavo breaks up the pin but Benoit gets him with the Bret bump and starts hitting Germans on both Guerreros. It's a suplexfest, says Tazz, because Brock hadn't come up with "Suplex City, bitch" yet.

Benoit hits a headbutt and Angle tries to pin, but Chavo breaks it up. Eddie tries a pin on Angle but he just kicks out in time (the crowd don't really buy into it because UK PPV and the titles clearly weren't changing hands). Eddie signals for the Frog Splash, Angle goes up for the belly to belly superplex, Eddie knocks him down, hits the Frog Splash! Benoit breaks it up, Chavo gets involved again, Benoit knocks him away, Angle Slam attempted, Eddie knocks Angle into Benoit!

Ref bump because he's a Hebner and he has to. Angle hits Benoit! Intentionally! But I guess since it was in the UK it doesn't count for the suspension. Anklelock gets locked in, Chavo breaks it up with a belt shot to Angle, Hebner shoved back in, Angle kicks out. Angle Slam with a bit of Benoit assistance and that's your three count!

Angle's been the guy to get the win in both the Tag title matches so far.

"They're still arguing", says Tazz of Angle and Benoit as they shout at each other again post-match "I love that about these guys". They're about to smack each other one but the Guerreros sneak in to try and nick the belts and this unifies the rivals who see the sneaky thieves off.

My thoughts:

Good match. Not up to the standards of No Mercy - or Survivor Series, which I'll come to tomorrow and is awesome every time I watch it - but it's good. Notable for the first Angle/Eddie interactions on PPV, but Kurt doesn't do a whole lot in the match. Fine stuff but nothing you need to go out of your way to see again.

Angle landmarks:

Final UK PPV appearance

20th successful PPV pinfall!

PPV record so far:

20 wins by pinfall
8 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
14 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

Archived