The Kurt Angle Match Marathon

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Anyone still reading this? Not that it matters, because I've started this thing and I'm going to finish it regardless, but if anyone's still out there, thanks!

We finish 2001 with Vengeance, and the first match in the tournament to determine the Undisputed Champion. It's Kurt Angle vs. Stone Cold again.

The match:

An Undisputed Champion. What a thing that was. And should still be. Bloody Universal title.

This first match is for the WWE Championship. Then the World Heavyweight was on the line in match 2, and then the final was for both.

Austin's Champion here so Angle is challenging. He got a bit of a confused reaction because of all the turns he'd had the past couple of months, I expect. Austin finally has his proper music back.

Frank Gotch and George Hackenschmidt are being name dropped. Undisputed = big deal.

The two rivals face off. They know each other pretty well after the last six months. They look like they might kiss. Angle looks angry. Maybe because they haven't kissed.

Makes a change for an Austin-Angle match to start in the ring and not with a brawl on the ramp. That's the kind of order you get when Chioda's referee. They respect the rules.

Lockup and they go straight into the corner, neither wants to let go. Chioda's counting to five, can you imagine if he called a DQ 30 seconds into the match for one of them not breaking a lockup?!

They go again. Very equal so far. Oh hey, I've just realised Jerry Lawler's back on commentary! "Angle sucks" chant. An Austin knee takes Angle down, stompy stumpy stompy. Kurt slides out of the ring for a breather. Sensible. He knows about tournaments, does Kurt.

Chioda starts a count out. Like referees should. Angle gets back in the ring and they lock up again. Angle gets a takedown and this time Austin rolls out for a breather.

He gets back in and flips Angle off. Another lockup, this is surprisingly grapple-based up to now. I'm enjoying it more than their other matches.

Some chops from Austin, because Ric Flair's in the WWE now. Angle tries the Anklelock, Austin rolls out of it, Kurt tries for a German, Austin turns it into an arm wringer… but then thumbs him in the eye and starts choking him in the ropes. What a Hogan.

He's chosen Angle's left arm to work on, but Kurt fights back only to get thrown over the top. Ringside brawl, Austin does exactly what he did at Summerslam, throwing Kurt repeatedly into the ring post (but this time he's aiming to hurt the arm not just his face). This is going at a nice slow pace and I quite like it for that.

"What" chants, because that had become a thing. Angle kicks out of a pin attempt, but using the arm Austin's been working on. Many chops from Austin. Angle does a neat little roll and locks in the Anklelock… drags Austin away from the ropes… but he gets there.

Michinoku bump from Kurt as he heads outside again. Now Austin really is doing what he did at Summerslam, hitting Kurt's head off the announce table. Austin got lured back in the ring and Angle gets him by the leg and works it against the post, ready for another Anklelock in a bit I expect. Time for some Angle chops! Everybody's chopping tonight. 

Then Angle does a ring post assisted Figure Four! They are LOVING Ric Flair tributes at Vengeance! Anklelock applied again, Austin breaks out. Belly to belly.

After lots of punches, Austin does the Bret Hart turnbuckle bump and it's time for some German Suplexes. Kurt tries for a pin after 3 and Austin kicks out. And to think Blackman stayed down after one.

Kurt goes up for the Moonsault aaaaaaaaand despite the super height on it, he missed. Can't blame him for trying, that move has connected a few times this year. It is quite a slow moonsault, gives guys loads of time to get out of the way.

Austin's on a comeback now, spinebuster for 2. He hits some German Suplexes of his own and hits Kurt with FIVE. It's as well they downplayed German Suplexes for a few years, Summerslam 2014 wouldn't have had half the impact when matches like this routinely had eight of them in it.

Austin kicks out of the Angle slam. Angle does his jumping up and down tantrum thing. That's a new one. Austin hits a Stunner, Kurt stays down first time this month, Austin advances.

My thoughts:

I think that's my favourite Angle vs. Austin match. Probably the least talked about one they had, but I really like it. Worth checking out, absolutely.

Angle landmarks:

None, really. Standard procedure in this one.

PPV record so far:

16 wins by pinfall
5 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
11 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission
1 loss by unconsciousness
1 team loss (Survivor Series)
5 multi-man match losses (Angle not defeated)

2001 is finished! Moving on to 2002 soon, with Kurt's first Royal Rumble match. (I'll only be watching from his entrance to his elimination)

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Definitely reading. In this stretch there's not much to say while he cements his main event legacy, but it'll take a different turn as we transfer into the Smackdown Six era.

The 9/11 timing was sensational for Kurt. Austin had to dig deep into heel (hence the awful music (always thought they would give Rollins a decent tune when he turned, would help his reaction massively)) to allow Kurt to become the true American hero. Crowds were desperate to cheer a totem and Angle was there with all the history he needed. The poster was a bright white with Angle standing proud all red white and blue. Still the atmosphere was weird at the PPV, like they weren't ready to properly lose themselves in the moment.

Great memories Harmie, keep it coming.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm still reading. I got first paragraph into a post this morning about the state of my head trying to sort out Kurt's defection, being a spy, the logic holes therein and why he and Vince became the heels and Austin a babyface the night after Survivors. But then I thought "only you care about this stuff" and sacked it off.

• Awards Moderator

Cheers everyone!

Onyx - I agree, there's not much that particularly stands out in the second half of 2001 but he feels like a bona fide main eventer after dealing with Austin for six months.

Raid - I'd like to read that post - rewrite it please!

ElCece - good effort!

So, 2002 begins, and we go straight to partway through the Royal Rumble. Quite a lot of the way through the Royal Rumble, in fact, as Kurt is Entrant 26.

The match:

Skipping through the match to find the right bit, I realise I haven't watched the 2002 Rumble for a few years. I normally get through a load of them every January and I'm sort of regretting not doing 2002 this year. I watched 1994 for goodness sake!

Anyway, the lay of the land at the point of Kurt Angle's entrance. Lots of Stone Cold and Triple H going at it, Mr Perfect is in as well.

(Tangentially, what a damn shame Perfect's 2002 run didn't work out. What could have been.)

Kurt gets some mild booing as he enters (throwing the medals down onto the entranceway, confident in the fact Benoit's still out with his broken neck and won't stick them down his tights again) and, as he enters the ring and goes straight for Triple H, the crowd chants "You suck!" along with his music!

This, believe it or not, is the first time that's happened on PPV. It's one of the things I've always associated with Kurt Angle and it wasn't a thing until more than two years in!

Which must mean it developed some time between Vengeance and the 2002 Rumble. When, though, when?

Angle's stomping Triple H in one corner, Perfect and Austin in another. Perfect and Angle vs Austin and Triple H, Perfect and Angle as a team generally, can you imagine? What a shame for Perfect. He was dead by 2003, wasn't he?

Austin and Angle somehow manage to time chopping their opponents at exactly the same moment. This will be Angle and Austin's last time sharing a ring on PPV for some time (possibly ever again, actually).

Angle suplexes Triple H and tries for an elimination. I predict he will not be successful. Austin stops the elimination and gets a belly to belly. Will we get some Angle and Perfect? Who knows because Big Show's coming out. Will Angle get his revenge for Backlash 2000? Will we see the continuation of his interruption in the Rock match from No Way Out 2001?

No, we will not, as Show headbutts Angle clear out of the way and then chokeslams Mr Perfect.

Kurt Angle project chokeslam count: 12 (5 to Angle)

The double chokeslam to Austin and Triple H didn't work out, though, so he has to settle for loads of clotheslines instead. Kurt's lying down in the corner, but it was a ploy! He's up and tries to German Suplex Show, but gets picked up over Show's head. Press slam elimination? No! Triple H saves him for some reason. Kurt goes for another rest in the corner. The other four guys are basically taking it in turns to take a move from Show, then they wait in the corner for their next one. Triple H eats a chokeslam as Kane comes down at 28.

Kurt Angle project chokeslam count: 13 (5 to Angle)

Now the four guys are all having a lie down while we get the set-up for the 2015 Rumble with Kane and Big Show going at it. Only a lot more people liked them at this point. Well, I liked them more, anyway. Kane eliminates Big Show and gets a Stunner, which is Kurt's cue to hit an Angle Slam over the top rope to the floor, eliminating Kane!

We've seen the move from the apron INTO the ring, but never the other way round. Angle goes back to fighting Triple H as the crowd goes MENTAL for Rob Van Dam! RVD gets straight into position to hit a Five Star Frog Splash on Kurt, and then takes out everyone else. You could have got away with RVD winning this whole match if they hadn't had to have Triple H win it. He cements his position by cutting RVD off and killing him with a Pedigree. Know your place, Rob, it's my time.

Angle's still down. He and Perfect still haven't made contact.

No wait! They have! Perfect stuck on the ropes, they exchange punches! Angle vs. Perfect at WrestleMania!

Oh, that would have been great. We got Angle vs Kane, but Angle vs Perfect, would have been a lovely little match.

Anyway, Booker T is number 30, after a Perfect suplex (but not a Perfectplex) Kurt and Perfect are lying in opposite corners. Booker just eliminated RVD who was still dead from the Pedigree 10 hours ago. Know your place. Booker gets booed but then he gets taught his place as well by Austin who chucks him out with absolutely no trouble. This is quite soon after that supermarket brawl that loads of people have fond memories of but I absolutely hated because it went on for about half an episode of SmackDown and it just happened to be one of those rare times when my dad wouldn't leave the room when the wrestling came on. My efforts to explain it wasn't all like that were in vain. Bloody Austin.

Kurt just tried the Angle Slam elimination again, Austin countered, tried a Stunner, Triple H gets involved, he gets an Angle Slam of his own, Angle pulls Austin off Perfect and starts hitting Germans. For a man with such neck problems he must have had so much trust in Angle to not kill him with those. He gets three in before Austin hits a low blow. 

Angle and Perfect almost eliminate Austin! They're teaming up on him! Angle and Perfect vs Austin and Triple H? Did that happen on a Raw around this time? Should have done. I'd have taken that at No Way Out, quite happily.

Angle eliminates Austin! He has the final say in their epic six month feud!

Austin's a bitter twat though and pulls Perfect out of the ring to keep attacking him, Angle teaches him a lesson by chucking him into the steps. 

We're down to the final three now, and the Angle/Perfect alliance is cemented as they beat up Triple H until Austin hits them both in the head with a chair (Angle gets a hand up) and does the same to Triple H because he's a twat. And he's not even a heel anymore.

People complain about Hogan acting like a heel - especially at Rumbles like 92 - but Austin's just as fucking bad. Booooo Austin.

Kurt's first to his knees but Perfect's first to his feet. They try and eliminate Triple H and it almost goes wrong and Kurt nearly eliminates Perfect! But Perfect hits a PERFECT PERFECTPLEX ON KURT ANGLE and the world is great, until Triple H eliminates him.

BOO.

Angle vs Triple H. Straps come down. This won't last long, there's only 3 minutes left on the show on the Network at this point. Triple H takes a belly to belly. He beat Triple H at the Rumble last year, can he do it again? Of course not, but let's believe for a moment. I'm still shocked at how easily Triple H put down RVD.

They both get to their feet, Angle's right in the centre of the ropes by the hard cam, he thinks he's eliminated Triple H and starts celebrating, facebuster staggers him, vicious clothesline and he's eliminated - Triple H wins the Rumble.

My thoughts:

Good showing by Angle for his first Rumble. Eliminates Kane and Austin, makes it to the final two. He was never going to win but there was certainly a 'what could have been' with Perfect and Van Dam there. And it marks another piece of the complete Angle puzzle falling into place - "You suck, you suck" etc. 

Angle landmarks:

First Royal Rumble

First "You Suck" chants during music

First Rumble elimination (Kane)

First Angle Slam variation over the ropes to the floor

PPV record so far:

16 wins by pinfall
5 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
11 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission
1 loss by elimination (Royal Rumble)

Angle vs Triple H in their third singles match on PPV is up next, I think.

• Paid Members

I loved Perfect's showing in that Rumble. And I also wish they'd done Angle vs Perfect at WrestleMania.

Like E says above though, I remember Perfect's run going to shit almost immediately after the Rumble and he was relegated to mostly appearing on Sunday Night Heat fairly quickly. Shame. I think he wrestled Austin on Raw in a singles at some point (losing, obviously) and I know he had a match with RVD as well on either Raw or Heat. Nothing else springs to mind.

Well, apart from him teaming with Bossman a bit in a 'it's not 1990 but we don't know what else to do with these two' tag team. I actually liked that pairing and they were close mates in real life so you'd think they'd have great chemistry if more would've been done with them. It wasn't like the tag team scene was on fire in early 2002. You still had the Hardys and Dudleys but you also had Tazz and Spike winning the titles. Perfect and Bossman as a proper team could've had some legs to it, I reckon. Well, it'd have been preferable to what ended up happening with Perfect's 2002 run anyway.

There was plenty of stuff that half writes itself with Perfect.

You could have had:

Perfect taking exception to Angle being the new "work-rate guy", and wrestling him to see whos the best of the two.

Challenge for the IC title, to get back "his" title.

Enter main event to get the title that eluded him his whole carrear, imagine the matches with Angle/Taker/Triple H/Rock etc.

I presume he was having personal issues or something that meant they couldn't rely on him?

• Paid Members

Bruce and Conrad covered it in the Something To Wrestle With podcast on Perfect but I can't even remember much about what they said about his 2002 comeback. I wasn't expecting a main event run for Perfect. And let's face it, he wasn't going to get one when you had Hogan, Nash and Hall soon to return, you still had Rock, Austin, Triple H, Angle, Undertaker, Jericho etc. Plus Brock Lesnar was about to debut on TV as well. Perfect wasn't getting a look in with that lot about. But a little mid card run, chasing the IC title or something would've been nice. Oh well. It was never going to be a long term anyway with him dying the following year.

:(

Oh and I'm still reading all your posts in here as well HG. In fact, on your recommendation I rewatched the Austin/Angle/RVD triple threat from No Mercy 2001 the other day. Really enjoyed it. Hadn't seen it since it aired live.

• Awards Moderator

So, No Way Out 2002, Kurt Angle vs. Triple H, but I couldn't help watching the nWo debut at the start of the show first. I know it didn't work out but this was bloody cool on the night (or the day after, which is when I would have watched it). I think I've still got the WWE magazine with them on the cover. I wasn't watching WCW to see them first time round - and so the cool bits, and I missed the decline - and this, yeah, it's just cool. Hogan, Hall and Nash in the WWE as the nWo!

It's just cool. At least until they start talking, I only watched the entrance. But I'm not here for the nWo, I'm here for Kurt Angle.

The match:

Triple H out first. Oh, no, hang on, Stephanie McMahon is out first! I wondered why Motorhead wasn't playing. And she's the guest referee. This is Steph's Massive Boobs era. I want to say this is the first Kurt match with a special referee.

Kurt's actually out first. "You Suck" has stuck. He's got the full stars and stripes get up. Stephanie is applauding him, which is not very impartial but I bet she's still better than Hebner. This match is for the No 1 Contendership for the Undisputed Title match at WrestleMania, so I have to assume Triple H is winning this since he (1) was in the match at Mania and (2) won it.

Odds clearly stacked against Triple H here. He got a decent pop when he came out. Stephanie's been faking a pregnancy or something. Triple H has got his water all over him. He looks huge.

He confronts Stephanie and Angle goes straight to rollups which Steph counts as quick as he can, and she doesn't count for Triple H when he does the same. Punches in the corner.

If I remember correctly, Angle and Triple H are 1-1 in singles matches to date. Rubber match!

Corner stomps from Triple H now, and a short-arm clothesline. The crowd's chanting something, don't know what but it has a clap clap clap-clap-clap so it can't be anything worth trying to make out.

Back suplex to Triple H, but the next sequence sees Triple H duck and Angle hit Stephanie with a VICIOUS clothesline that sends her over the top rope. Seriously, that looked NASTY. She's out cold and I'm not surprised. A load of referees go out to help and Triple H sends Kurt over the top himself, then grins at Stephanie's unconscious body because he's a babyface.

Angle's back in the ring, Triple H hits a neckbreaker, TIm White's taken over ref duties and counts 2. Triple H waves with glee at the limp body of his half-dead wife as she's carried away because he's a babyface.

Kurt hits a German Suplex, and a second, will we beat the current record of 7? No, just three, two count. Stop trying to pin people off the German Suplex Kurt, it hasn't worked since '99.

They pop outside for a super brief Ringside Brawl ("Keep it in the ring or I'll ring the bell on ya" - Tim White) and head back in, but Angle's distracted by the "Angle Sucks" chants. Not that distracted though because he's able to hit a belly to belly for 2. I like how Triple H gave him a little slap on the back just before the move - I guess that's what they do to say they're ready?

Angle hits another two of them (you don't hear the slaps these times) but can still only get 2. He's more in control here than he's ever been against Triple H. I guess this is one of the first times there's been a clear face-heel dynamic with them. 

Kurt locks on a sleeper hold, which is not something he's tried before. He's great at a chinlock but this is uncharted territory. Triple H down to his knees, they don't even do the two-hands-down-third-hand-up spot before he fights out of it though. Angle goes for the 10 punches in the corner (another new one for Kurt) but it's countered. Both men down. 

It takes them until 9 to get back up, but the rest's done Triple H good as he hits a high knee and a spinebuster which means JR gets to namedrop both Harley Race and Arn Anderson. Facebuster, Kurt goes down, 2 count. Kurt rolls out of the ring and it's a Benoit-esque chase around the ring.

Kurt gets back in the ring and twats Tim White in a blatant attack. I assume this'll be a DQ finish then. Low blow and an Angle Slam, he goes for the cover and STEPHANIE'S ALIVE! She runs down selling the neck but Triple H keeps kicking out! He also has to keep looking over at Stephanie because she's not hitting the mat very hard and he probably can't hear her doing the count.

Angle tries for the Anklelock but Triple H kicks him into Steph and she's down again. DDT by Triple H, Tim White's still down as well, Triple H tries to get him up but he falls through the ropes instead. No wonder he knacked his shoulder.

Why aren't more referees in the Hall of Fame? Get White in there, Chioda, Robinson. Not Hebner, obviously, but there's a few worthy ones. Teddy Long's a good start.

Something with a chair, Triple H making a cover, STEPH breaks up White's count by dropping an elbow on him and stamping on his cock. Triple H advances on her, he grabs her by the head and tries to hit her with a Pedigree because he's a babyface. Angle whacks him in the back with a chair, then in the head, then an Angle Slam, Stephanie counts three...

… and Kurt Angle becomes the No 1 Contender to the Undisputed Title at WrestleMania?

That's not … but … urgh, horrendous visual of Triple H drooling there … what happened to get Triple H back in the main event then? 

I genuinely don't remember this bit of the story.

My thoughts:

S'alright. As good as their other matches, I'd say. Kurt is now 2-1 against Triple H in singles.

Angle landmarks:

First match with a guest referee (Stephanie McMahon)

PPV record so far:
17 wins by pinfall
5 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
11 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

The Kane match isn't very long, is it? I could get through that tonight as well, couldn't I?

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, why not.

First, a few WrestleMania X-8 thoughts.

1) Most disappointing show in history. For me, anyway. My first proper WrestleMania experience had been X-Seven. I mean, I knew about WrestleMania and I'd have seen matches from other ones, I imagine, but for watching the full show, as close to live as possible, X-Seven was my first one. And it was the best.

This show, if I saw it for the first time today, would probably have been fine. But with only X-Seven to properly compare it to … it did NOT hold up to my expectations. I thought EVERY WrestleMania was as good as X-Seven. This show was a CRUSHING disappointment to me in that regard. I remember thinking Undertaker vs Flair was the best thing on it. (I might still think that, actually). The SkyDome just didn't cut it for me. I'm over it now, though. Totally.

2) The BEST thing, hands down, about this WrestleMania was the nice big thick souvenir magazine they did. It went through every WrestleMania to date - and of course made them all sound amazing and incredible and like nothing else ever - in detail, full cards for them all, in the first half, and the second half was pictures of EVERYONE. The entire roster of the time. The big stars got full pages, then it went down to half pages, then multiples on one page when it got to referees and agents - the agents! - and it even featured my very very very first glimpses of Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton who were both in there.

God, I LOVE that magazine. That's probably my favourite wrestling related possession.

Onwards...

The match:

Angle makes it onto the poster for the event along with Austin and Rock. It's not the poster I remember, but it's the one on the Network so it must be the real thing.

Kurt's always come out pretty well against Kane. Kind of. He eliminated him from the Rumble, at least.

The SkyDome makes some noise for Angle here, but "You Suck" is still there. That's a proper part of the routine now. It looks big time, this. Not as big time as the Astrodome, but it's still big. I have such vivid memories of how I felt watching this event.

It's a lot darker than most WrestleManias.

THE PRE-MATCH MIC BIT IS BACK! This has been a long time coming. It's certainly not happened since "what" became a thing because they're chanting "what" after everything.

Kurt's clearly lost his No 1 Contendership somehow. This match felt so thrown together. Even Edge and Booker T got the shampoo thing as a reason to fight.

Kane makes the fire go kaboom before Kurt's finished on the mic. I'm not super clear why they're fighting, nobody's really said yet.

Kane does the turnbuckle fire thing - which Angle uses as an opportunity to launch a sneak attack and smack him in the head with the ring bell! It doesn't result in a DQ because they haven't rung the bell - I assume because Angle had nicked the bell!

It means he gets first advantage and hits a German Suplex. Kane's down, stompy stompy, but Kane fights back. I think this show felt darker because of the black ropes and black apron, but that can't be right. I don't know. Am I just used to WrestleManias in daylight now?

Kane's fight back ended in a failed chokeslam attempt. Will Kurt be hit with one for the sixth time on PPV? We'll find out. Kurt isn't doing well, until he hits a belly to belly (which Kane takes very nicely) and then a clothesline. They're going for a 'head trauma' thing for Kane here. Another clothesline and Angle's back in charge.

AH! JR just explained why they're fighting. Kane cost Kurt the No 1 Contendership. I don't know why. But he did, and it makes sense that that's why they're fighting. And it also makes sense that I couldn't remember why, because I hadn't remembered Kurt was No 1 Contender in the first place.

Back suplex, 2 count. Front face lock by Angle. Nice to see some variety from the classic chinlock. Kane powers out of it, Angle goes flying.

Is it because Kurt's singlet is so dark tonight? And loads of other people were wearing dark clothes? 

I don't know. I should stop fixating on this. Maybe I just wanted that lovely blue from 2001 back.

Kane hit a sidewalk slam, anyway, but Kurt fought back with three Germans. Kane kicked out. Stop trying for the pin after that Kurt, we've had this problem before. 

Angle goes up top but not for the moonsault - he connects with a flying clothesline! "Woo!" He heads up again, this move has a 100% success rate, can't say I blame him, and now it has a 50% success rate because Kane countered it. Both men down.

They trade punches and Kane goes into hot tag mode - big boot! back body drop! tilt a whirl slam! - but Angle kicks out.

Why did Kane cost Angle the title shot? Why did Angle put the title shot on the line, for that matter?

CHOKESLAM!

Kurt Angle project chokeslam count: 14 (6 to Angle)

Angle gets his hand on the ropes. 

Kane signals for the Tombstone. Kurt's what the SmackDown games would call groggy. He pulls at Kane's mask, which puts him off considerably because he still thinks he's disfigured, hits the Angle Slam but Kane kicks out.

STRAPS DOWN INTO THE ANKLELOCK! It's the classic sequence but we haven't seen it on PPV before! Anklelock applied!

The Network's very close to a red dot. Does Kane tap out here? Nope, he counters… nope, it's locked back on… nope, he reaches the ropes. Kaneziguiri! 

Kane's limping, but he's heading to the top rope himself… super sprint by Angle to hit the belly to belly superplex! Hoiked Kane right off the top there. Angle Slam countered, chokeslam countered, rollup, Angle's feet on the ropes, 3 count! Angle wins!

The crowd looks nonplussed. That did come a bit out of nowhere. But we don't linger on it for long because we cut to Hurricane sneaking around backstage having just won the Hardcore Title, while random ladies take their clothes off. 2002. He's got a mop and it looks like an erection. Oh, they're Godfather's ladies. He chases Hurricane off. And we're off to Undertaker vs Flair.

My thoughts:

This one is the kind of match that has set the WrestleMania Midcard 'here's two relatively prominent guys but we didn't have anything big for them this year so here they are against each other' template which we see so often in recent years. It's a forerunner to your Punk/Mysterio, Orton/Kane, Styles/Jericho kind of match. Which means it's fine, but you can't help but think at least one of the two involved should have had something more substantial for Mania.

Angle landmarks:

First time 'straps down' = Anklelock!

PPV record so far:

18 wins by pinfall
5 wins by submission
1 win with ladder
1 win by DQ
11 losses by pinfall
5 losses by submission

By the time of the next PPV (Kane, I'm guessing, not having had his revenge for the loss here), the brands will have been extended, Kurt will be on SmackDown, and he's about to make Edge a star. At least, that's how I remember the Edge feud going. I felt Edge was a top guy for SmackDown coming out of the Angle feud at the time. The first big success of the draft era, arguably. I'm looking forward to seeing these matches again - I had Judgment Day on DVD because of how much I loved that HIAC match, so I've seen Hair vs Hair a few times, but I haven't watched the Backlash match since 2002. This should be good. SmackDown Six: Origins!

Archived