The Kurt Angle Match Marathon

HarmonicGenerator

It killed me we didn't have Sky Sports so I could see it

Wasn't it on Channel 4??

Im sure Armageddon was one of the 4 events they showed that year

Great Match though and your write Up does it justice, at the time it really felt like the biggest thing ever imaginable

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Couldn't wait for you to get here, watched Armageddon last week in anticipation!

Pretty sure I hadn't seen it since watching it live. I was so impressed at how every participant had a reason - multiple reasons! - to be in there. And Vince topping it off with the "protecting his investment" angle have it another level. Excellent booking. There's not much padding either, the multiman formula today is everyone-take-a-powder-bar-two so you end up with a series of traditional one on one matches. Really entertaining watch, though I'm not sure everybody needed to blade.

Harm, that was fantastic. I love that match so, so much. I've watched it that many times it's daft but it always makes me feel like I'm watching it for the first time aged 15 with my younger brother. The entire match is chaos but in the best possible way. Everyone has their roles and plays them perfectly, nobody feels like they're in their for the sake of it or that they're just taking it in turns to be in the ring like Onyx mentioned. Fuck it. I'm watching it again when I get home from work.

• Awards Moderator

IT WAS ON CHANNEL 4 THE WHOLE TIME?! The last sixteen years have been a lie.

2001 begins with another Triple H match. I'm not that enthused but this may be because I've got a horrible cold and this watch will be done with Lemsip.

The match:

Triple H is out first! This is a surprise. And for the first time on PPV, he's got Motorhead's song playing for him. This means...

Angle's

Out

Last!

Finally, the Champion gets some respect! And Trish Stratus apparently, who is with him probably because she's fighting Stephanie at No Way Out? Not a lot of reaction for Kurt here.

Steph and Triple H have both got permascowl on at the moment. 

They start by checking each other out, and a lockup turns into some arm work from Triple H. Angle does a kip up, fireman's carry and reverses it. They back into the corner and break the hold no they don't, headlock into a shoulder block into a hip toss and sends Triple H over the top rope. If he'd done that the following year he'd have won the Rumble.

"Angle sucks" chant but that's probably the most technical wrestling we've seen from him in months and months. He hasn't put the straps up yet which is new. Triple H works him over for a while but a back body drop turns it back to Kurt and he continues working on the arm. Because if Unforgiven taught us anything he won't beat Angle with the Pedigree if he's only got one arm.

(If you can't remember that far back, he actually did).

A trio of suplexes from Angle has Triple H reeling. Let's call them the Three I-migos.

Traditional Ringside brawl. There's a very young child in the front row. I wouldn't have taken a four-year-old to see 2001 WWF but there you go.

Drop toehold and a leg submission from Triple H (we're back in the ring now) - it's that one he always had in the SmackDown games but I don't know ever got a name in real life. Dragon Screw and Kurt's trying to sell the leg but Hebner keeps getting in the way. Enziguiri from Angle and I'm not really paying attention to commentary because it's mostly Steph/Trish/Drew Carey.

Triple H takes the nasty over-the-top-rope corner bump like he did the other time, there's a guy dressed as Steven Richards at ringside. I approve.

Triple H tries to crotch Angle on the ring post but it's countered and he goes face first into it, then gets sent into the steps.

Of course, the guy could just be wearing a shirt and tie, but RTC's such an easy costume you've got to think that was what he was going for.

Time travel paradox and we're back at the ring post, this time Angle's injured left leg is being driven in the ring post. Stepanie distracts Hebner - WHY DOES HE KEEP FALLING FOR THIS - and Kurt gets whacked with a chair in the leg. Hebner turns around, sees Angle writhing in pain, sees the chair right next to him and Triple H looking fine, and… ASKS WHAT'S GOING ON. HEBNER YOU FUCKING … Bring on the brand extension. BRING ME CHARLES ROBINSON.

Angle's heel here, right? Because he's certainly being worked over like a babyface in peril. Triple H targeting the leg again and again, this is probably where the 'cerebral assassin' stuff started to be a big part of his act.

Kurt's leg's put on the bottom rope and Triple H does a big elbow right onto it, then does it again, and I just can't see Angle getting a clean win here, he has been dominated for almost the whole match, he's going to do a sneaky win which won't feel on his level.

Facebuster gets 2. Knee goes up, knee goes down. Triple H's hair is looking good. STOP PUTTING EARL HEBNER OVER, JR. Triple H does a brutal knee onto the back of Kurt's which is tied up in the ropes then locks in a Figure Four. It's essentially a squash at this point. Triple H then uses the ropes for leverage, Trish tries to break it up, Stephanie isn't happy, slap fight! They're rolling over the announce table. Out pops Vince, he'll sort this out… no he won't. Triple H utterly distracted in the ring by the looks of it, quick roll up and a 3 from Angle? I'm guessing here, the camera's not been on the match for a couple of minutes now. You sort of get the impression the WWE Title match wasn't of primary storyline importance on this show.

Ah! There we go! Triple H tried for the Figure Four again, Angle got the rollup, only got 2 and we're right back to working the knee. Angle fights back and hits a DDT!

German Suplex! The Blackman Killer does not end Triple H. Angle's having super mega trouble with his leg but appears to be going for the Moonsault anyway which is stupid on multiple levels. Triple H HITS THE RAZOR'S EDGE. WHAT. Angle does not stay down. RAZOR'S EDGE!

How long was he using the Razor's Edge for?

Series of counters leaves both men down. Angle's going up top again. Will he hit it? 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

HE HIT IT

HE HIT THE MOONSAULT

HE HIT IT

MOONSAULT

MOONSAULT

MOONSAULT

HE ACTUALLY DID IT

I'M THRILLED

Where were we? Triple H just jumped off the apron but Hebner got hit because he was in the way again so we have a ref down. Now Triple H is going up to the top, Angle sprints up to meet him and hits the BIIIIG Arm Drag!

Earl was just recovering when Triple H threw Angle into him and mashed his head into the steps. It explains why he's such a poor ref, I guess, if he's so addled from all the bumps he's taken as a non-Professionally Trained Athlete.

Belly to belly from Angle, who's got hold of the title belt (Triple H brought it in though so it's his own fault if he gets hit with it). Pedigree! Gets a big pop but Hebner's dead so no joy there. 

STONE COLD STONE COLD! I mean, they could have sent another referee, but yeah why not, send Triple H's nemesis out instead. Belt to the head from Austin to Triple H! Le blood. Stunner.

That'll do you Kurt. Wakey wakey Earl. I love how REF INSTINCT kicks in when they wake up and they start counting like it's a reflex action or something.

That's a 3 count and Kurt once again retains the title through tactics. I don't think he's retained that title clean once.

My thoughts:

LOADS better than the Unforgiven match. Really, really good. It's not without issue (Triple H is really dominant for a lot of it) but you get a great match followed by various Attitude shenanigans at the end. Great stuff, exceeded my expectations considerably!

Angle landmarks:

First time on a PPV poster (group)

First PPV match where he gets to enter last!

First PPV match wrestled entirely with the straps down (I think)

First time the Moonsault connects!

First PPV use of the top rope arm drag

PPV record so far:

12 wins by pinfall

3 losses by pinfall

1 loss by unconsciousness

4 multi-man match losses (Angle not defeated)

Next time; there's no way out for Kurt at No Way Out. He'll not be hanging onto that title much longer...

• Paid Members

The only thing I remember about that match was Trips hitting the Razor's Edge. I believe that's the only time he used that move but could be wrong. I definitely don't recall him doing it on PPV aside from this match anyway. Maybe he used it on TV though.

I was never really into the Angle vs Triple H matches myself. I don't know what it is but I just never really felt like they clicked and it seemed like something was missing chemistry wise. Your review there makes me want to go back and watch this Rumble match though as it sounds loads of fun.

My memory of the big matches around this time is very hazy. I remember liking Angle vs Rock at No Way Out though so I'm looking forward to reading your next post. First thing I think of with that one though is Kurt putting Rock in the ankle lock and screaming "I'LL BREAK YOUR FUCKING ANKLE!!" at the top of his voice.

• Awards Moderator

Straight on we go, Kurt Angle vs. The Rock, part 2. No Way Out!

I have strong memories of this one. I was in year 9. We were in the history classroom. Middle row of tables. My friend David was on my right. It was about 11am. I knew No Way Out had happened the night before, and David had Sky Sports. If any of you fuckers tell me this one was on Channel 4 as well I'LL BREAK YOUR FUCKING ANKLE. He'd seen the show that morning before school, and he'd taped it. The announcement comes over the tannoy - something about snow, ice, frozen pipes, that sort of thing. School is cancelled for the day. My parents are both at work and I was a bus journey away from home. 'Come to mine', said David, 'we can watch No Way Out'. So as the snow fell outside, I saw the first half of No Way Out. My dad worked in the same town as my school so he picked me up as he was heading home for lunch, and I took the tape and watched the rest that afternoon. 

People talk about 'where were you when 9/11 happened' or 'where were you when Kennedy was shot'. But where were YOU when you saw No Way Out 2001?

The match:

Kurt's back to being out first again. He's being booed, and in a flashback to Rebellion, we have JR and Tazz on commentary, because Lawler did that angle with RTC and The Kat that meant we didn't see him again until November. 

You can buy Kurt Angle's music on WWF: The Music, Volume 5. I had that CD.

They're already talking up WrestleMania at the AstroDome. It's going to take some willpower for me to not just sit down and watch that entire show. Favourite.

This match feels like a proper main event, as well. It got the first focus in the opening video. It didn't feel like that at the time because of Austin vs Triple H, but I was thoroughly not keen on Austin so this was the big match I looked forward to more. (and being totally honest, it was the Brothers of Destruction and Haku and X-Pac on this show I was most interested in, so the tag title and IC title matches respectively - I think).

While I was writing that The Rock made his entrance. They're staring each other down and Kurt's talking smack to Rock, who's just staring him down looking like he's made of granite. Mike Chioda is the referee, and I rejoice at this. Angle tries to kick off with a belt shot, Rock ducks it and gets the first advantage.

Angle's started doing matches with the straps down now, clearly, he hasn't put them up this month either.

They're exchanging strikes in the early going but they're both bumping BIG for them. Bodies bouncing off the mat with each hit. They're not laying into each other with stiffness, necessarily, but they way they're landing makes these simple moves look way more impactful.

"Angle sucks" chant, as he gets a drop toehold and THE ANKLELOCK HAS ARRIVED ON PPV! First time we've seen it!

The cameraman at ringside just fell over for some reason.

I remember the Anklelock being introduced into Angle's arsenal in the lead up to this show. After many months of playing as Ken Shamrock on the first SmackDown game, it still felt like Ken's move, but I grew to love it as Kurt's.

Exchange of belly to bellys leaves both men down. That's as close to wrestling moves as it's really got at this point, it's been predominantly punches and kicks up to now.

Sharpshooter applied, Angle reaches the ropes. Samoan Drop for a near fall. I'm beginning to think this match might NOT get a ringside brawl.

Back Suplex which The Rock doesn't bother countering, but has the wherewithal to blatantly protect his head for. I'm happy for him to do so, rather that than land on his head,  but it looks a tiny bit odd. Superplex by Rock for another near fall. 

This has been so much more equal than the Triple H match. It's making me go off the one I watched last night, actually. Triple H gave Angle nothing, Rock is giving him everything here. And they're going at a right pace, as well (makes me wonder if they were running short on time).

Rock's thrown to the outside and it looks like he's hurt his leg. Kurt does NOT brawl at ringside but puts Rock back in the ring, only to get a DDT. 

WEEEEEELLLLL

I remember this. It's Big Show! The Hardcore Champion (who has his straps down too, perhaps in solidarity to Kurt) who looks fucking MASSIVE by the way, has strolled on down to the ring and immediately chokeslammed Chioda!

Kurt Angle project chokeslam count: 6 (4 to Angle)

And he just did it to Kurt as well!

Kurt Angle project chokeslam count: 7 (5 to Angle)

And to The Rock!

Kurt Angle project chokeslam count: 8 (5 to Angle)

And he's off again. Not quite sure where that was meant to go because Show didn't really touch the main event again for ages after this (if you don't count Winner Takes All at Survivor Series) but you know what, I liked Big Show in 2001. He was massive and he did chokeslams and sometimes that's all I want from my wrestling.

Fuck's sake, Hebner's out. He looks like he's pickpocketing Chioda's unconscious body, but I think he's actually putting him in the recovery position and rolling him out of the ring so he can hog the limelight. And it was all going so well. Hebner is so determined to ensure no competent referee gets to be in the main event that he's taking Chioda away, but then decides he'd rather do it himself and slides in for a two count and then goes back outside again, I've lost patience with this man now.

Rock smacks Angle with a flying belt shot and Hebner's decided being the ref is more important than Chioda's well being, and counts 2 and 87/88s - Angle kicks out JUST at the last moment and I think a lot of the crowd thought that was it. 

ANKLELOCK! Big time Anklelock! He drags him away from the ropes, and SLAMS the leg down before applying it again! This is an INTENSE Anklelock! They're both screaming, it looks excruciating, Angle's yelling "TAP YOU SON OF A BITCH", they've bleeped "I'll break your fucking ankle" but he definitely says it, "Rocky" chant, he reaches the ropes and Angle just hangs his head, distraught. That was his chance. He stamps at Rock's feet so Hebner goes to tell him off, allowing Rock a chance to recover. You know what, it'll be a relief when Angle goes back to the mid card for a bit so I don't have to put up with Hebner.

Rock's hit the Spinebuster but both men are down. The people are standing for their elbow… he hits it! 1, 2, ANGLE KICKS OUT. Tazz just said "champeen". I'm sick of writing about Hebner's ineptitude so I'll skip a bit here, but Angle's exposed the turnbuckle, countered a Rock Bottom, driven him into the exposed turnbuckle, hit the Olympic Slam but Rock kicks out!

(I think that makes two No Way Outs in a row that it's been kicked out of.)

Rock starts laying the SmackDown so Kurt stamps on his foot. But it goes wrong because he gets driven into the exposed turnbuckle now, and then hit with a Rock Bottom. 1, 2, oh FUCK'S SAKE EARL HEBNER WHAT NOW. Angle blatantly didn't kick out of that, but Hebner just stopped counting so Rock has to do it again and this time the referee JUST DOES HIS FUCKING JOB and The Rock's the Champion, Kurt's lost, Rock vs Austin at WrestleMania, Kurt's heading into a series with You-Know-Who.

I haven't been looking forward to the Benoit series because I can't disconnect those matches with the fact he murdered his family, but if those matches aren't refereed by Earl Hebner then they'll be a blessed relief.

Angle weeps as he leaves the arena. That WrestleMania 17 sounds like it'd be a bit of alright though, doesn't it?

My thoughts:

Rock and Angle work really well together. Rock just feels, I dunno, just so much more unselfish in there with Angle than Triple H or Undertaker have done. They felt like equals. It was all going splendidly until the Chioda bump and, much as I love chokeslams, the utterly unnecessary and ultimately pointless Big Show run-in. I don't hesitate to say that at this point Earl Hebner is actively ruining my enjoyment of some of these matches.

Angle landmarks:

First appearance on a PPV poster (solo)

First use of the Anklelock

First title loss (WWE)

PPV record so far:

12 wins by pinfall

4 losses by pinfall

On my very slow re-journey through early 2000's PPVs I'm up to Vengeance 2002 which my only recollection of is that the triple threat main event between Angle, Rock and Taker was one of the best matches ever up to that point. I'll be curious to see how that holds up when you get to it.

• Awards Moderator

I'm going to try and power through as much of the Benoit series as I can tonight. I know objectively they're good matches but I unapologetically can't be objective about Benoit anymore.

But this is not about him, this is about Kurt Angle, so, for the next four posts, I present Angle vs. Benoit, one on one for the second, third, fourth and fifth times!

First up, WrestleMania X-Seven. I will not give in and watch the whole show I will not give in and watch the whole show I will not give in and watch the whole show...

The match:

Everything about this show is beautiful. The set and the graphics and the logo and the colour of the apron, it's set in my mind as what the Best Show Ever should aspire to be, and I don't think anything will ever top it. 

Pre-match mic bit getting on Texas' case. You can see a guy in a sleeveless vest with a flabby arm waving it in anger at him. "And lose the cowboy hats", he tells the crowd, because they're not 7 years old anymore. In a wonderful twist of fate, Kurt himself will soon be donning one. I know this, but Paul Heyman doesn't (he's on commentary, another thing I love about this show - the Heyman/JR pairing was excellent, I thought) so he uses it as an opportunity to have a go at JR.

Angle's wearing a very nice white-fronted singlet tonight that's red on one half of the back and blue covered in stars on the other.

Lots of wrestling to start. That's the best way to describe it - they wrestled each other down, and got back up again in a stalemate. They have another go, it's another stalemate, and the crowd approves. They wouldn't have got away with this in 1999. In 2017 there'd be a 'this is awesome' chant already.

Angle takes Benoit down, it's reversed, and again, and again, and again, they both try for a pin, no shoulders down, reversed again, and again, they get tied up in the ropes and another stalemate. Lovely crowd shot looking towards the ring.

These descriptions aren't doing it justice but there's some gorgeous chain wrestling taking place, it's just hard to describe.

Benoit tries for the Crossface, Angle reaches the ropes. He attempts it again, and again Angle escapes. Heyman's selling this as if either one locks on their big submission fully, it's over. They want to outwrestle each other. A simple motivation that doesn't always work but here, it really does.

A third Crossface attempt, Angle again reaches the ropes and hits Benoit with a cheap shot to the back of the head because it's time for the Traditional Ringside Brawl! See ya, chain wrestling. Shame, that. Benoit into the steps. "Woo!" says Angle.

Now, for the first time, Kurt has the proper advantage. Suplex for 2. Back Suplex like the one he did on Rock last month. Benoit does not cover the back of his head when he braces for impact. I wish he had done. :-(

It may have snuck up on me gradually, this, but for the first time Angle looks really bulked up. Especially in the neck, shoulders and upper body. Maybe it's been like that a little while, but it's pretty obvious he's been beefing up here.

Couple of belly to bellys to Benoit but a clothesline takes Angle down too.

Heyman was so great at selling everyone on commentary. You listen to him and you believe Angle is the greatest there ever was. JR's going on about Jack Brisco instead.

Benoit kneed Angle in the gut and hit a snap suplex so he's in charge now. This match has lasted longer than I remember it doing.

They've gone up top for a BIG superplex, another great camera shot showing how MASSIVE the AstroDome is by shooting them from below.

You know what's great? No shaky cam, no constant cuts. It's great.

Angle takes the Bret turnbuckle bump for the first time in MONTHS and then gets hit with two Germans but he reverses and tries for the Anklelock, Benoit pelts it to the ropes, gets dragged back, Benoit reverses, locks one on himself, Angle reverses, Benoit goes for the Crossface, Angle counters into a pin, Angle locks in the Crossface himself, the crowd's enjoying it because both these finishers have been built up as big deals.

Ah no, ref bump. Please don't bring Hebner out please don't bring Hebner out...

Crossface got locked in again, and again Angle has tapped but nobody saw it. It's not official! The Olympic Slam - which JR just called the Angle Slam, but then corrected it again, so I don't think it's officially changed yet, but then Heyman used it, so maybe - which got kicked out of.

He's going for the Moonsault. Two hits in a row? NO! Of course bloody not, Benoit gets the knees up and goes for the Concussion Headbutt. "Benoit using his own head like a weapon…" begins a JR call. :-(

Rollup, Angle's got the tights, 3 count! Angle wins!

Angle-Benoit series: Angle 2 - 0 Benoit

My thoughts:

It's a very good match. If you're happy to watch Benoit, watch it. Then watch the rest of the show because it's WrestleMania X-Seven and it's just the best.

Angle landmarks:

First stadium show

First use of 'Angle Slam' rather than 'Olympic'

PPV record so far:

13 wins by pinfall

4 losses by pinfall

• Awards Moderator

Angle-Benoit III is at Backlash. This is the Ultimate Submission match. 30 minute time limit. Like an Iron Man but just for submissions. Did they ever do another one of these - either before or since? You'd think it was something that could come back.

Anyway, Kurt has never officially submitted on PPV, nor has he made anyone else submit. I sense this is about to change.

I'm going to count each separate submission as a 'win' or a 'loss', because a fall is a fall.

The match:

Angle out first. Pre-match Mic Bit to get the crowd back offside. He's definitely been bulking up. He looks BIG.

"It's true, it's damn true!" finishes the mic bit. He hasn't said that on PPV yet … Not in the ring anyway. It's going in the landmarks. Why not.

30 second rest period between decisions in this match. JR and Heyman again. And Chioda refereeing. All good news.

Lock up, neither man wants to give it up, Chioda breaks it up. Angle takes Benoit down by the leg, Benoit tries an arm bar, stalemate.

Angle tries for the Anklelock again, they're in the ropes but they don't let go. Are there DQs in this match? Angle takes Benoit down again, many many reversals until the Crossface almost connects and Angle reaches the ropes and slides out of the ring for a breather. (27 minutes left)

Benoit invites him back in the ring, Angle looks either disgusted, worried, or a combination of the two. Another takedown, into the ropes again. Kurt frantically escapes another Crossface attempt.

Yeah, Angle's a whole other build now. It's the shoulders, neck, upper torso area. They're outside the ring, Benoit locks in the Crossface, Angle taps, but he's outside so it doesn't count! Angle's getting a bit desperate already because he's got a chair. "Put it down", says Chioda, "shut up", replies Kurt. Might just be buying himself time though. (24 minutes left)

He's complaining of a shoulder injury, he's faaaaking, takes Benoit down, locks in a knee bar type move, Benoit realises he can't get out and TAPS!

Kurt Angle has made someone tap out on PPV! Only took him a year and a half.

He's targeting the knee now, which is very sensible, but Benoit tries to get the Crossface, turns it into a cross arm breaker, Angle TAPS!

Kurt Angle has tapped out on PPV!

So Kurt's going for Benoit's knee, Benoit's going for Angle's arm, he locks the arm breaker back in, Kurt rolls out and decks the camera with his foot. Shoulderbreaker by Benoit. Bret turnbuckle bump by Angle, and a nasty chop, then another Bret bump, and Benoit shoved Chioda to the ground. "Losing his composure somewhat," says JR. If you only knew :-(

Angle just hit Benoit with a chairshot to the head. He didn't put his hand up. Why Benoit why :-(

Anklelock in now, anyway, and Benoit taps again! 2-1 Angle in this match (I may be counting each fall separately but in the 'series' this will only count as one)

Angle locks in the Crossface, Benoit taps AGAIN! 3-1!

He's got his confidence back now (18 minutes to go). Back Suplex, and again the back of Benoit's head clatters on the mat. :-(

(Sorry - you can't help but notice these things more when it's happening to Benoit.)

Ringside Brawl time. Well, for a tiny bit, they're back in the ring again.

AAAAAAH, he just got flung over the top rope and tried for the Michinoku Bump but couldn't quite get it and his legs just folded up under him. Ouch. Ringside Brawl part 2 lasts a bit longer, Benoit into the steps again. Anklelock on the outside, Benoit taps but it won't add to Angle's tally - I guess it hurts Benoit more though, or incapacitates him since we've just reached the halfway point.

Back in the ring, Angle goes for an arm submission of his own but Benoit's clasped his hands together, he can't get out, horrific visual of Benoit's sweaty face between Kurt's thighs there. Prepare yourselves for that if you watch this match.

Abdominal Stretch time! It gets countered and we're back to the arm breaker, Angle reaches the ropes. (13 minutes left and they're getting tired now - but they still haven't done the modern day thing of lying motionless for 10 minutes at a time between big spots)

The crowd wakes up as Benoit locks on the Sharpshooter! He reaches the ropes AGAIN! So Benoit just smacks him full on in the face with his boot. Angle tries a German, Benoit rolls through, turns it into a Half Crab, Angle taps again! 3-2.

Kurt scarpers, Benoit tries to follow him, Kurt scarpers again, gets caught this time and chops his chest off. Angle shoulder first into the steps. Kurt doesn't want to do anything more, he's got this won if he doesn't do anything. So he scarpers again. Gets back in the ring, rakes Benoit in the eyes and chucks him out, then tries to keep him out. Sensible.

(9 minutes to go)

He's let him back in now, but suplexed him and is going for the Anklelock again, Benoit gets to the ropes. And another time. Benoit gets chucked out again. Suplex on the outside. Ringside Brawl part 3 (7 minutes to go)

The pace has sloooooooooowed now. Really, really sloooooooowed.

It is, dare I say, getting a bit 'not that exciting'. I'll be honest, I'm getting a little bored.

Angle locks on a weird as hell hold, not sure what that's meant to be. Oh wait, I think it's a chinlock. 

2 hands down, third hand up I expect. Yup. (5 minutes left)

I mean, I don't blame them if they spend most of the final stretch in a chinlock because they must both be exhausted, but if this is building to a big dramatic climax I'm not sure this is the best way (I know it's Angle running down the clock but that by its very nature is the opposite of thrill-a-minute). Benoit hits a jawbreaker to break the hold. 

Belly to belly and a "woo!" from Kurt. He's very confident now. And another. (3 minutes)

Kurt does the Bret turnbuckle bump again (!) and Benoit follows it up with two Germans, third one blocked, Anklelock attempted, reversed, Benoit gets it on Angle and Angle taps again - 3-3 with 2 minutes to go.

1 minute to go.

Another German, this time Kurt counters with a low blow and goes for the Anklelock again, 30 seconds to go but Benoit won't stop getting to the ropes. Back Suplex straight into the Anklelock, 5 seconds to go, the clock reaches zero and the match ends 3-3!

It's a draw? 

Nope, it's sudden death. Angle is upset. Benoit wants to go. Belly to belly on Benoit. Angle does another weird stretchy hold, but it gets countered in the Crossface, Angle TAPS. Benoit wins 4-3.

Angle-Benoit series: 2-1

My thoughts:

First half, excellent. Second half, I'm afraid my interest waned. Mania match was better.

Angle landmarks:

First "it's DAMN true" on PPV

First time making someone tap

First defeat by submission

PPV record so far:

13 wins by pinfall

3 wins by submission

4 losses by pinfall

4 losses by submission

I haven't the energy to do Insurrextion and Judgment Day as well tonight. Two 2-out-of-3 Falls matches will do me in! Next time!

Archived