It's today then ... (Trump thread)

On 10/22/2020 at 12:43 PM, Carbomb said:

One reason to be wary is, as someone pointed out on Al Jaz (and I'm sure others have pointed out elsewhere), "shy Republicans", like we had "shy Tories" here.

The numbers of shy Trump voters would have to be pretty astronomical to undo Biden’s lead.

I think a lot of people are once bitten twice shy after 2016. Biden is absolutely winning this barring either an unprecedented turn in the polls in the final week or pretty widespread vote suppression by the Republicans, though again this would have to be on such a scale to imperil the result that I don’t think its plausible.

Even the worries about the Supreme Court deciding a tight race in Trump’s favour seem unfounded after they ruled in favour of Trans rights to the Republicans’ consternation several months ago. The bottom line is Trump has blown it and there’s no plausible way back.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So here's what to look for if you watch on TV. The Very Basics If Biden wins huge, we could get an "official" call during tonight. If Biden wins clearly/comfortably it may well be clear

Is it Tildeguy? 

If Biden does eventually prevail, I imagine Trump will shove the White House down the front of his trousers and shout 'NOBODY CAN FUCKING HAVE IT NOW CAN THEY'.

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Even the worries about the Supreme Court deciding a tight race in Trump’s favour seem unfounded after they ruled in favour of Trans rights to the Republicans’ consternation several months ago. The bottom line is Trump has blown it and there’s no plausible way back.

The Supreme Court's just ruled against an extension of vote counting in Wisconsin during a period of USPS postal delays caused by Trump's installed lackey, so that votes posted before election day but received after will not be counted.

One of the SC judges, controversially appointed by Trump, voted for this despite arguing for the opposite as a lawyer during a prior election, which helped Bush win.

• Moderators

I think Trump will lose, but they going to paint it as a crooked election and try their best to overturn it. Unless the public collectively turn on them, meaning GOP voters actually get turned off not just angry democrat voters, then it's going to be absolute chaos. I'm sure they'll be riots and all sorts.

His latest Supreme Court appointee, rushed into the role last night before partying at the White House, has declined to recuse herself from any litigation over the election results. So Biden and the Democrats need to win with decisive margins to avoid the courts having a say.

If Trump loses then he ceases to be president on inauguration day, no matter what. If Biden dies in the interim then I think the job passes to the VP (Kamala Harris) and then, if necessary, to the House Majority Leader, which is currently Nancy Pelosi of the Democrats (who also takes over if no winner has been declared by that date).

Hope I've got that right, but it's definitely not just a case of offing the president-elect and staying in power. Not yet, anyway.

Edited by Uncle Zeb
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

If Trump loses then he ceases to be president on inauguration day, no matter what. If Biden dies in the interim then I think the job passes to the VP (Kamala Harris) and then, if necessary, to the House Majority Leader, which is currently Nancy Pelosi of the Democrats (who also takes over if no winner has been declared by that date).

Hope I've got that right, but it's definitely not just a case of offing the president-elect and staying in power. Not yet, anyway.

If The West Wing has taught me anything, it's that the job of President goes to the Speaker if the incumbent's removed/compromised, and there's no VP to take over the office.

3 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

If Biden dies before he's inaugurated, are all the delegates pledged to him then expected to vote for Harris in the Electoral College? I think, as you say, the Presidency would go to the Speaker instead, or else the House of Representatives would decide who wins. 

Wouldn't worry about your mistake with terminology either. The US Speaker of the House is very different role from the UK Commons Speaker, and the position is even less neutral than the name implies over there. Pelosi is in effect the leader of the Democrats in Congress, not just somebody to chair the debates. 

I’m no Ian Hislop but what are the chances of Biden winning, stepping down immediately/dying and Kamala Harris ripping off a mask Scooby Doo style to reveal that she is actually Vince McMahon. Pretending to be a black lady called Kamala has Vince written all over it plus there’s the revenge for ‘Mania.

19 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

If Biden dies before he's inaugurated, are all the delegates pledged to him then expected to vote for Harris in the Electoral College? I think, as you say, the Presidency would go to the Speaker instead, or else the House of Representatives would decide who wins.

Each candidate's VP pick is named on the ticket, so it's not like people have voted for Biden without knowing that Harris is plan B should the worst happen. Therefore I think it would be unfair and unreasonable if she were bypassed, but I'm not 100% certain she wouldn't be.

Meanwhile as we sit here hypothesising, Trump's having a normal one:

But surely that would never ha...

Edited by Uncle Zeb
  • Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

If Biden wins and dies...

...before the Electoral College vote (14 December) then the electoral college delegates would be told by the Democrat party to vote for Harris, and for a picked replacement as VP. There'd be a glitch as some state laws say the delegate has to vote for the candidate named on the ballot paper, but the Supreme Court has already said that's not enforceable if that candidate has died.

...after the Electoral College votes are cast but before they are formally counted by Congress (January 6) then Congress still has to count them up and declare Biden the winner. However, he wouldn't be able to take up his position on Inauguration Day and it would go to Harris. The same applies if he dies between Congress counting the votes and the inauguration. (In this scenario the vice presidency would be vacant and President Harris would pick somebody to fill it.)

1 hour ago, ElCece said:

Why all this chat about Biden dying. Have I missed something. 

My thoughts exactly, he looks in reasonably good nick, I'd be more likely to put money on Trump going, especially if he loses, pretty much guaranteed an aneurysm