It's today then ... (Trump thread)

They've got the main thing they wanted out of Trump - hundreds of newly appointed conservative judges, in lifetime positions, after spending years blocking Obama from filling vacancies. Their ideology now controls the law of the land, whatever happens in this election.

To keep their own cushy jobs they'll do what they've always done - see which way the wind is blowing and tell their voters what they want to hear, while enriching themselves and their mates with as much corruption as they can fit into their day.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So here's what to look for if you watch on TV. The Very Basics If Biden wins huge, we could get an "official" call during tonight. If Biden wins clearly/comfortably it may well be clear

Is it Tildeguy? 

If Biden does eventually prevail, I imagine Trump will shove the White House down the front of his trousers and shout 'NOBODY CAN FUCKING HAVE IT NOW CAN THEY'.

Posted Images

• Paid Members

Let's say Trump loses big. He goes off eventually and starts his own 24 hour news channel because he claims the "Lamestream Media" can't be trusted. That channel effectively becomes a 24/7 365 media buy for Republicans, kind of like Fox but on the really good steroids. Trump is the star of the channel, which is all he really wants anyway and anyone who wants to get elected from the right has to go on and get his endorsement. 

Provided he accepts the election result, which I have consistently said isn't a given. 

If he wins this happens 4 years from now provided he can't get enough votes to repeal the 22nd amendment that says a president can only serve two terms. Talk of that has already started. 

18 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

They are already that scummy, you don't need this to prove it.

I agree, but this would be a different kind of scumminess.

To go along with the beliefs & ideas he is having right now is one thing. But if they do a 180 after he loses and say they were never on board with it and he wasn't speaking for the rest of the party, everybody guilty of that would be on another level.

If it's a close result then I can see them sticking with Trump's narrative & ideas, but if he gets solidly smashed showing that a lot of his 2016 base has now switched over - I wonder if those left behind separate themselves from him.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

If he wins this happens 4 years from now provided he can't get enough votes to repeal the 22nd amendment that says a president can only serve two terms. Talk of that has already started. 

It's virtually impossible to repeal an amendment and the President has no involvement in the process. To propose the repeal, you need either a two-thirds majority in both houses of Congress, or a motion passed in two-thirds of state legislatures. Once you have the proposal, it needs to be backed by three-quarters of state legislatures. There's effectively zero chance one party would ever be able to do it without the other party's support.

Edited by JNLister

They're a patient bunch. Given time and opportunity, they'll happily engineer themselves into a position where just the right people are in just the right places to pull it off. Plenty of what they've already done so far was considered safely guarded against by constitutional checks and balances, until they decided to just shamelessly work the system in whatever ways were necessary.

Today’s rally which just ended was an all-time Classic.

All the video is as always on Aaron Rupar’s twitter feed ( @atrupar ) including this one:

He was mocking Biden for saying he would listen to Dr. Fauci, going in to detail about how he would do favours for Exxon if they put $25m toward his campaign, and he did the dance again at the end.

Other videos from today show him taking the piss out of reporters like this:

Certainly comes across like he realises he’s only got two weeks left in the job and is going out with all guns blazing! 

• Paid Members

To put Biden's route to victory into context:

* There's no obvious prospect of him losing a state that Clinton won.

* He's currently 6-8% ahead (and over 50% meaning Trump can't rely on undecideds) in Wisconsin and Michigan, both of which Trump won by less than 1 percent and which were not well polled in 2016. 

* From there he simply needs any one of Pennsylvania, Arizona, Florida and North Carolina to win the Electoral College. (With NC he'd be tied but would likely get one vote from Nebraska which isn't winner-take-all.)

• Paid Members

One reason to be wary is, as someone pointed out on Al Jaz (and I'm sure others have pointed out elsewhere), "shy Republicans", like we had "shy Tories" here.

• Moderators

I've heard the "shy Republican" thing recently and honestly...they don't seem to be shy about it now. Could be wrong, but anyone who is still on Team Trump seems to be very proud about it.

I was starting to feel slightly optimistic about Biden actually winning this until the other night when I heard them talking about how the Republicans are already starting to sow seeds of doubt into the trust of the vote, so for any state that goes to Biden they'll use that to get Republican governors to send alternate electoral college voters to say they are the true vote rather than the Democratic electoral college votes.

Guess who gets to determine that mess, the Supreme Court...who is about to get a Trump crony on the bench. Truly terrifying and the kind of thing that makes you start believing that there could really be a civil war.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, neil said:

I've heard the "shy Republican" thing recently and honestly...they don't seem to be shy about it now. Could be wrong, but anyone who is still on Team Trump seems to be very proud about it.

Oh, absolutely - I was thinking less about the out-and-out Trumpers, and more about those Republicans who are embarrassed by the current administration to be seen amongst their friends as Republicans, but not embarrassed enough to vote against. Although, given that there's now a contingent of more traditional Republicans who are quite vocal against him and campaigning for Biden, that may be quite a small segment of the electorate.

Edited by Carbomb