UFC 208: Holm vs De Randamie

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Cant have been, there was only 1 poor fight on the main card really.

Some people will judge cards on finishes so with there only being one finish over the course of the entire night (and very few others came close to being finished) i can see why people may think that way.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Aye. It was a perfectly decent show. I think the issue may be a lot were very underwhelmed by the card going in and, for the most part, the fights never really exceeded expectations. Definitely not a bad show at all, IMO.

Anyway, the main event was spoiled by the BBC and their "controversy" hype. I think Rogan was right to be annoyed at the shots that landed because they were significant. I thought it was a super tight contest too.

I'm pleased Silva won, even if he probably didn't. I was expecting it to get nasty out there for him, but, again, he showed he can still hang with the top 10 comfortably. It will be interesting to see if this version of Silva has got anything for the top 4.

The commentary was very good. Anik knew when to get in and out, while DC and Rogan gave us all the knowledge.

• Paid Members

I'd be happy for them to keep that commentary team for PPV going forward. Considering it was the first time we've had that Anik, Rogan, Cormier combination together I thought they all meshed very well. It was a breath of fresh air actually. Whoever this replacement is for Goldberg, I'd rather they ease him in gradually on the Fight Nights with Brian Stann and keep last night's team for PPV. On a PPV where DC is fighting, stick Stann in as the third man.

As for the show, I thought it was alright. Wasn't amazing or anything but definitely not one of the worst cards in UFC history or anything like it. Opinions are opinions but anyone claiming that is being a bit harsh, I reckon. Was decent enough, it just lacked finishes and that one really killer fight (although Poirier vs Miller was quality).

Holm vs De Randamie was a pretty solid striking match. Didn't quite come to life like I'd hoped or expected but it had its moments. Tough fight to score. A few of the rounds were pretty much dead even to me. I thought De Randamie took the first two rounds and I thought Holm finished the fight a little bit stronger. I had Holm taking round 4. Rounds 3 and 5 are the hazy ones for me. Whatever. Going forward I like De Randamie vs Cyborg. Cyborg will probably crush her but who knows? Someone has to beat Cyborg sometime and De Randamie has a stronger striking pedigree than probably anyone Cyborg's fought so far in MMA. It's likely to be a slaughter, but I'd give GDR as good a shot as anyone at pulling the upset.

Feel bad for Holm though. She had the ultimate career high in ending Ronda Rousey's streak and becoming the champion two years ago. That should've been the beginning of great things for her but weirdly that fight seems to have signalled the end of Holm as well as Rousey. She hasn't won since. She's 0-3 and now she's just blew her featherweight fresh start. Granted it was by the thinnest of margins but a loss is a loss and it's not like she's Paige VanZant and has bags of time to get back on track or change her game up. At this stage her skillset is what it is. I don't really see where she goes from here? There's not much for her at 135 now and I'd say the 145 division needs her more as it's really fucking shallow - well, practically non existent. There's, what, three fighters officially in the division currently? Maybe she welcomes a Megan Anderson or Cindy Dandois to the division/UFC. They need to build the division, badly, and be quick about it.

Anderson vs Brunson was pretty good, I thought. Wasn't exactly action packed but I love watching Anderson fight. Even now when he's so clearly not what he was in the heyday, it's still a treat to see the man fight. There can't be too many of them left so you have to enjoy him while he's here. All that said, I had Brunson winning. I'd have to rewatch it but I was quite surprised and a bit confused when Silva was announced the winner. Might give it another look later. Fuck knows what happens with Anderson now. I've heard a couple of mentions that they could try and spin a Bisping vs Silva 2 title fight but, as much as I loved the first one, that would be straight up bullshit. I'm all for making big fights and I was wholeheartedly on board when they made Bisping vs Hendo 2 because all the top contenders were out injured and that was the biggest fight available at the time. I don't think you can justify Bisping vs Anderson 2 though. Not when you have TWO absolute concrete deserving challengers waiting in line in Romero and Jacare. That plus Anderson's win over Brunson was his first win in years and even that was an iffy decision.

Actually...I'd say do Anderson vs Vitor 2 next, regardless of the result of Vitor vs Gastelum. Fuck it. Stick it on that Rio PPV under Aldo vs Holloway.

Jacare looked a beast as usual. Felt bad for Boetsch. Always liked him but from the second this fight was announced I just couldn't see a path to victory for him, for the life of me. Jacare is one of those fighters where if you get the call offering you that fight you'd think you must've pissed the management off. Jacare's got to be next for the Bisping vs Romero winner. He's just got to be.

Glover vs Cannonier was disappointing but I don't blame Glover fighting the way he did. For one it was understandable he'd be a bit cautious coming off the 13 second KO loss to Rumble. And also, Cannonier had no answer for Glover's grappling. Why not exploit that? So made sense why the fight played out as it did. Just wasn't any fun to watch unfortunately. Glover will still have his moments. This just felt very much like he needed to get back on the horse and rebuild his confidence.

Poirier vs Miller was easily FOTN. I also had Miller winning 29-28. It wasn't a robbery or anything but I thought Miller had done enough to take rounds 1 and 3 but they were both rounds that could've gone either way. Just a really fun and entertaining fight. It was the one fight on the card where you knew, regardless of the criticism of the depth of the card, this one would deliver. Shame to see Miller lose though. He was on arguably the best little win streak of his UFC career recently with wins over Lauzon, Gomi and Alves. If he'd added a win over Poirier to that he could easily have found himself in a contenders fight next. Nice rebound for Peahead though, coming off that bad KO loss to Michael Johnson.

Prelims weren't much cop. Although I did kind of enjoy Islam Makhachev's performance. It wasn't the most exciting fight but I thought he looked great. Lentz is no pushover and Makhachev pretty much had his way with him. Like Ebb said, Wilson Reis surely gets the next crack at Mighty Mouse now. Surely. He was supposed to get the shot at UFC 201 last July and he's won two more fights since then plus there's no cunt else for DJ at the moment. Has Philippe Nover ever had anything other than a dull fight since TUF 8? Hard to believe this was the guy being hyped as the "next GSP" back then, eh?

Not a card we're going to be nominating MMA Event Of The Year in the UKFF Awards this year. But it was alright. Set up potential title fights in De Randamie vs Cyborg and Mighty Mouse vs Reis, had the feel good Anderson Silva win, a really fun fight between Poirier and Miller and solidified Jacare as the nailed on next contender at 185 after Bisping vs Romero.

• Paid Members

Back when the whole Ronda vs Cyborg debate kept cropping up, I always said there wasn't enough depth in the women's featherweight ranks for the UFC to justify bringing in an entire division. As much as that sucked, because Cyborg always belonged in the UFC, that's just the way it was. If you brought that division in, you'd have to accept it was a one horse race. At least until they can build up other women at 145. I don't really know why Dana is reacting like this now. When you're building a division almost solely around someone who's had endless controversies with weight cutting and PEDs, you need to make sure you have other viable stars and enough depth to the weight class to justify a division and to keep the thing rolling if/when Cyborg inevitably fucks up again.

Saying that, they've crowned a champ now. They can't just fuck featherweight off. And it's not as bad as it was. I think Germaine De Randamie has proven she's legit. Holly Holm can hang with the top fighters. And there are a few good 145ers in Invicta they can bring in. Hopefully that'll be enough to keep them ticking over until they beef up the division.

For starters, I'd definitely be bringing in Megan Anderson.

tYdJk.jpg

She's 8-2 with 6 finishes and is coming off four straight stoppage wins. She's Australian, they run shows there every year. She's got a marketable look with the tats and stuff and she's a pretty badass...pretty badass.

She did this to ex TUFer Peggy Morgan's face not long ago as well...

JSUMq.jpg

Jesus Fuck.

They could do a lot worse than Megan Anderson as far as up and coming prospects go. They seem to recognise that as well as I read something yesterday that she'd be taking over the UFC's twitter account during Holm vs De Randamie last night. As of last night the reports from Helwani were that she was still yet to have a UFC deal in place but it's surely a matter of time.

The problem is though, she's got potential but the division is so thin that she'll likely be fed to the wolves before she's ready. Just because they don't have enough bodies to throw in there.

I thought after the first late punch, they were going overboard because it was the wholesome all American preachers daughter, the one who dethroned their biggest star. It was as if Holly was their preferred choice for the face of women's MMA. But after the second one, yeah a point needed to be deducted. I still had her losing though.

• Paid Members

Is anyone in agreement that it wasn't that bad? The strike in round 2 was hard shot but in both rounds the strikes were part of a flurry, i dont think either was intentional.

The ref needs to be diving between fighters to get them to stop in that situation but its a tough spot to be in. The ref actually did that in round 5 and Rogan complained.

The way Randamie was talking she'll be out for a while with a hand problem. Knowing Dana he's already lining up an Interim belt!  :laugh:

Personally I think Holm should get a rematch though and Cyborg can destroy some chump until she can prove she's clean for the rest of the year.

And of course pay Gina Carano ALL the money.

But yeah, that's not a card i'll be remembering fondly by even the end of this evening.

• Paid Members

The way Randamie was talking she'll be out for a while with a hand problem. Knowing Dana he's already lining up an Interim belt! :laugh:

Thankfully it's going to be hard for them to do an interim title fight in this case. There's the new champ Germaine De Randamie then there's only really two other women in the division. And one of them (Holm) just lost to the champ last night. The other one (Cyborg) still has to get her suspension lifted.

I wonder who of the 135ers will move up? I was thinking maybe Cat Zingano as she seems to be floundering a bit at 135 but she does have a win over Amanda Nunes so she's probably fancying gunning for that rematch. I'm stumped really. I mean, they've probably still got Lina Lansberg around. Who else is there? They'll probably sign Megan Anderson in the coming days/weeks and maybe poach a few others from the Invicta roster just so they've got something and can start booking fights. But it's slim pickings. There doesn't even seem to be many 145ers out there who they can bring in.

Edit - Lina Lansberg is fighting on the London card. At 135. There's no fucker in the featherweight division. It's the Mother Hubbard's cupboard of MMA weight classes. What were they thinking creating this division really? Even if Cyborg's test failure never happened, who have they even got for her to fight at 145? Two or three fights tops and she's rinsed the division dry. People were saying bantamweight was shallow when Ronda was champ but it was never this bad. This makes that division look like men's 155 in comparison.

Dana White's comments pre-fight don't suggest longevity in the lifecycle of the women's featherweight division.  

The point had to be taken away though. Holly won at least two rounds - so we might have had a draw or a Holm win had it been taken away. 

Anyway - I hope Holm's plight encourages Rousey to step back in the cage. 

How does this for a ppv? Maybe you'd take off one of the title fights, but I'd be all in on an all women's card. 

Nunes vs Shevchenko 

De Randemie vs Cyborg or another

Holm vs Rousey

JJ vs Andrade 

PVZ v Herrig / Namajunas v Waterson 

• Paid Members

Dana White's comments pre-fight don't suggest longevity in the lifecycle of the women's featherweight division.  

It reeks of a WME decision, this one. As wand points out, even when the "Ronda division" was getting started it had Lightweight division depth, compared to this. It all is very apparent it was a way to add a little spice to an underwhelming card, for a PPV.

At least with GDR and Cyborg out of the picture for a while, they have the time to get some names in and plan it out. Although by reading what you lot are typing, there is almost no one worth it.

Archived