UFC 208: Holm vs De Randamie

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It strikes me that, if the cupboard's that bare for the UFC, they might as well just bring in every featherweight that's currently fighting and do a tournament for No.1 contendership.

The division needs building up, the UFC needs a quick way to build it up before the champion needs to fight again, and, as tournaments aren't something the UFC does very frequently, they could probably get a decent number of eyeballs on it, especially if they throw money at Carano to take part. Assuming they can find 16 fighters, they can have a thing where the ones who get past the first round can get themselves a contract.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It strikes me that, if the cupboard's that bare for the UFC, they might as well just bring in every featherweight that's currently fighting and do a tournament for No.1 contendership.

The division needs building up, the UFC needs a quick way to build it up before the champion needs to fight again, and, as tournaments aren't something the UFC does very frequently, they could probably get a decent number of eyeballs on it, especially if they throw money at Carano to take part. Assuming they can find 16 fighters, they can have a thing where the ones who get past the first round can get themselves a contract.

Carano would be the 2nd biggest TUF contestant of all-time (behind Kimbo). The likes of Bisping, Griffin, and Rashad had little name value when they actually competed on TUF. I knew who Bisping was before he competed on TUF, but only through internet forums. Gina would really break the mould. She's on people's minds recently due to her war of words with D.C. I doubt it will happen though. If Gina ever came back - which seems unlikely as it is - then I think the UFC would book it on PPV. TUF is no longer the priority it once was. 

I don't think the UFC would even book a tournament outside of the TUF format. They did have a mini tournament years ago to decide the Flyweight title. I have a vague memory of Uncle Creepy clashing with Mighty Mouse twice due to the first fight ending in a draw. Other than that, the UFC have not been keen on tournaments in recent memory. There might be an example I am missing, but it slips my mind. I always felt that Dana considered large-scale tournaments to be a crazy "Pride" thing, or a hangover from the previous regime (which he wanted to distance himself from)

The Flyweight tournament was 2 semi finals with a 2_round fight between Mighty Mouse & Ian McCall ended up with Uncle Creepy winning but on the actual score cards it would have been a draw and we would be subjected to another round, they then fought again and Mighty Mouse won and fought abd beat Benavidez for the belt.

• Paid Members

Got to agree with Dana regarding tournaments. MMA tournaments have never made sense to me ... people get hurt when fighting, expecting them to fight more than once in a night is just a recipe for disaster. The early UFCs taught us that.

• Paid Members

I wasn't advocating a one-night tournament, just held over the course of, say, six months. During that time, de Randamie could fight once, but by the end of the period, she could have a few contenders lined up.

Archived