UFC 208: Holm vs De Randamie

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's a bit of a dud card compared to the cracking PPV's we've been gifted the past few months, but I really like the look of this. It's got a lot of fights that wouldn't usually apply as being obvious bits of matchmaking, but upon closer inspection are really quite fascinating.

Holm vs GDR is going to be an all-out battle between two of the decorated strikers in the entire sport, regardless of the questionable introduction of the new belt. Anderson is always worth watching, and he's involved in a genuinely interesting clash of styles coming up against Brunson, Poirer/Miller surely won't be anything other than fireworks given the track record of the fuckers, Jacare and Boetsch both looked fantastic in their last fight, and Glover is just a lovely chap.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've got a strong feeling De Randamie is going to knock Holm out. Don't know why but it's the way I'm envisioning it going. It'd be a shame to see Holm lose three on the bounce because she seems a nice person and it would really leave her in a bad spot career wise. At 35 or 36 or whatever she is, with three losses in a row and her fresh start at 145 derailed, it'd be difficult to see where she'd go from there. Holm was in such a fantastic position coming off the Rousey KO but it's just not panned out since. It's not even like she's looked terrible or anything. The Tate fight was very competitive and Holm was probably up on the cards at the time when Miesha got the choke. The Shevchenko fight was a funny one with them both being counter strikers. Shevchenko outworked her just enough to take the decision. But this is a must win. And I think De Randamie is going to be a problem. She's the more varied striker IMO, and she's got more tools. Holm isn't just a boxer, she's a good kicker as we know. But she's been a good kicker against fighters like Rousey, Tate, Reneau and Pennington who aren't the best or most technical of strikers. The Shevchenko fight showed she's not nearly as effective a kicker when she's in with a seasoned kickboxer.

Gone with Anderson by KO as well. Complete shot in the dark though. Could just as easily see Brunson wrestling his way to a points victory or even catching Anderson on the feet. At this point I don't know what we're working with where Anderson is concerned. When he's on the offence Anderson is still as lethal as ever. It's a question of him pulling the trigger these days a lot of the time. If he's close to the form he was in against Bisping a year ago, I wouldn't be shocked if we get a classic Anderson KO. It's been a while and I'd love to see it. I'm about 50/50 on this. Going heart over head with a spectacular Spider KO.

• Paid Members

Hmmmm, apparently this Cyborg/USADA situation is looking a lot better now.

Dana White;

"We did this thing because Cyborg was freaking out and didn't want to make 135 or 140. So we pulled the trigger. Then that stuff goes down with her and USADA, which is actually looking really good now, by the way. Apparently, the three things that she has is what this medicine is used for. It's looking really good. It was looking bad for a minute now it's looking better, so we're in a good place. This fight's gonna happen and I truly believe whoever wins this fight on Saturday night will fight Cyborg for the title. Then from there you make another fight, you make another fight and slowly but surely you build a division."

I too, think this might end up being full of quality fights and some surprises. No money going down on this but my gut feeling says:

De Randamie by clean KO. I'm really hoping these two just go all 'GLORY.'

Anderson by 1st Round KO.

Boetsch shockingly banging out Jacare.

• Paid Members

From the OP...

McCall vs Seery was meant to happen in November on the undercard of Mousasi vs Hall 2 in Belfast but McCall had to pull out after becoming sick cutting weight. I'm not holding my breath this fight happens, to be honest. McCall seems to spend more time pulling out of fights than actually fighting these days. Hopefully it happens this time though.

Seriously fuck Uncle Creepy. Unwarranted rep as an exciting fighter. Chatted shit for years slagging Mighty Mouse off saying he was a boring fighter and stuff, despite Mouse being way more entertaining to watch fight. And he never fights. Not only that, most of the time he waits until weigh in day or fight day to pull out. It's one thing a fighter pulling out injured. I've always defended guys like Aldo, Pettis, Cruz etc over the years when they got shit for being injury prone or whatever. But half the time Creepy's pulling out with an illness. Hopefully it's nothing serious but it keeps fucking happening.

• Paid Members

well, it didn't end up being the surprise card of the year...far from it :(

The prelim portion of the card, pretty much skippable stuff. Most notable thing happening was probably Wilson Reis winning, mainly because it may mean he's next for Demetrious Johnson, i give him very little chance of winning that but we're at the point at 125lb where DJ needs someone to fight, Reis gets the shot due to process of elimination.

* Poirier/Miller was excellent as predicted and started the PPV with a bang. I think i had Miller winning by a round but no complaints really, Poirier's leg looks to be proper messed up though.

* Glover Teixeira fought strangely against Cannonier, smart, but it was very un-Glover like. He seemed unsure on the feet and decided to use wrestling and a strong top game to win a lop-sided decision. Glover's stock stays the same for me, a statement win was needed but he just stays in that stagnant 3-5 spot at 205lb, which is a weird thing to say. Cannonier is handy on the feet but he has zero takedown defence, strange to see a guy in 2017 be taken down that easily, he's got work to do.

* Jacare did what Glover should have done. Went in against a less favoured opponent and wrecked him. Boetsch had a very narrow path to victory in this fight and Jacare didn't give him a sniff, that's how you take care of business.

* Anderson/Brunson :duh: not really know what to say. I thought the decision was bullshit, Anderson given all 3 rounds on one scorecard, but thinking about it Brunson didn't do an excessive amount of work himself, still i had Brunson winning on my card. It was good in spots but it a tentative and frustrating fight to watch. Still nothing quite like seeing Anderson getting excited and letting his shit go but nothing really came off against Brunson who did a good job defensively. That snap and precision power that Anderson used to have appears to have gone.

Not quite sure what happends with Anderson now? there's always gonna be fights there for him but i don't really wanna see him fight the top 5 guys in the division...that said, the UFC could spin some kind of crazy title re-match with Michael Bisping but that would just feel wrong at this point.

* Main event was a decent fight but not without controversy, the two stand up styles didn't really mesh for a great fight. I favoured Holly's activity and clinch work, she wasn't doing much damage but she was controlling where the fight was taking place, it really could have gone either way though...De Randamei/Cyborg is a better fight to see next though so im happy with that.

Rogan blew a gasket at the strikes after the bell and whilst i believe a point should have been taken after the second one i didn't think it was that bad, De Randemie was mid-flurry on both occasions.

Big thumbs up for the 3 man commentary booth though, Jon Anik basically did ads and filled a few gaps and let Rogan/DC do the talking. Rogan and DC had good chemistry and bounced off each other all night, DC also seems like he's having as much fun watching the show as anyone, i hope they stick with it.

• Paid Members

Is it live chat to say Holly Holm's arse is looking fantastic?

i was gonna mention that i hadn't really scored the first two rounds because i spent the majority of them mesmerised by the jiggle.

Even if a point had been deducted, I thought Holm lost all 3 rounds.

:duh:

Archived