The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

I hope Conor wins, if only to see how Mayweather handles losing. Mayweather has carefully, with varying degrees of subtly, navigated his way to 49-0 in a manner where things are always in his favour. I want to see what happens when all that careful planning goes up in smoke and he gets beaten. If Mayweather loses, the resultant meltdown might make Jon Jones’ escapades look like nothing.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

the biggest mindblower to me is that Floyd is willing to put his entire legacy on the line for this fight. $100million might make a man forget about any of that but it's still a huge risk from a guy who sells his legacy and status as much as his actual fighting ability.

I don't ever see McGregor coming back to MMA after this, i think he's out of the game after this.

Two awful things that have struck me about this fight;

1) A lot of people that know jackshit about jackshit suddenly have a lot of opinions about jackshit. I've heard people talk about UFC like its UFC 1 all over again.

2) This is going to be the best thing that's ever happened to GAD's career. He's going to be all over the UK coverage of whatever comes before the fight.

• Paid Members

A few interesting and surprising notes. The weight is 154lbs, which nobody was expecting (a lot were thinking 147-ish), and Mayweather agreed to smaller gloves. Probably still doesn't mean much, in terms of McGregor winning, but those are definitely two agreements that help McGregor. McGregor is a much larger man.

Speaks of Mayweather's confidence, as he's usually very much all about him getting the advantage.

5 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

A few interesting and surprising notes. The weight is 154lbs, which nobody was expecting (a lot were thinking 147-ish), and Mayweather agreed to smaller gloves. Probably still doesn't mean much, in terms of McGregor winning, but those are definitely two agreements that help McGregor. McGregor is a much larger man.

154lbs means they'll be using 10oz gloves. Had they fought at 147lbs, they would have used 8oz gloves. The larger gloves will, in theory, take something off of the power of the punches from McGregor.

• Paid Members

How long do we think the UFC have known about this tentatively? Just looking at their August schedule, and it's very bare bones. They have 1 smallish show on the 5th and that's about it. 

I can't believe this is happening. 

1 minute ago, Silky Kisser said:

How long do we think the UFC have known about this tentatively? Just looking at their August schedule, and it's very bare bones. They have 1 smallish show on the 5th and that's about it.

They've probably long known what time of year this fight will happen, given Mayweather's schedule; of his last ten fights, five have been in May whilst five have been in September. And with Mayweather’s pull, the fight would happen at the time of year he most wanted it to. Because of that, it was expected, and it played out like this, that the UFC would have looked to put out their bigger fights before August/September, to avoid clashing with the, at the time, theoretically most likely date for Floyd/Conor. Any PPV’s the UFC put out within a few months of Floyd/Conor will take a hit, as they did in the aftermath of Floyd/Manny, and it’s the same hit other PPV’s took, because so many people bought Floyd/Manny; PPV sales always take a hit after a major event because so many people have bought it and they’re reticent about buying another PPV so soon after

Floyd/Conor also completely buggers up GGG/Alvarez. Whatever business that would have done, and it takes place just three weeks later, is going to take a major hit.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Two awful things that have struck me about this fight;

1) A lot of people that know jackshit about jackshit suddenly have a lot of opinions about jackshit. I've heard people talk about UFC like its UFC 1 all over again.

I've already experienced this a lot. People in my office talking as if it's an even fight which either man can win, many even favouring Conor. Some even saying Floyd has, "no chance."

When people with a clue explained that, ninety nine times out of a hundred, Conor would destroy Floyd in an MMA fight and Floyd would destroy Conor in a boxing match, people were genuinely stunned. Someone even asked, "well what's the point, then?" 

Millions and millions of money, mate.

• Paid Members

I wonder who's going to show the fight over here? Sky Sports Box Office will more than likely be the destination as it was for Mayweather/Pacquiao, but there's definite questions to be asked.

Will the UFC's deal over here with BT Sports somehow give them first dibs to run it on PPV? Who knows, and then there's the commentary team. Will we just get the Showtime commentary team or will we get a team specifically for the UK broadcast? If we do, and it ends up on Sky, I sincerely hope it's someone who at least respects MMA because it will be tedious listening to a team shitting on the sport for the whole of the broadcast.

It's crazy when you think about it with these two worlds coming together. It's certainly going to be the first PPV i've purchased in about 10 years.

2 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

Will we just get the Showtime commentary team or will we get a team specifically for the UK broadcast? If we do, and it ends up on Sky, I sincerely hope it's someone who at least respects MMA because it will be tedious listening to a team shitting on the sport for the whole of the broadcast.

I haven't heard all of the Sky boxing people talk about it, but those that they have talked with seem pretty respectful so far. Who is that short-ish American fighter(?) they always talk to? I heard him talking about it early and he was very respectful of Conor.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

I haven't heard all of the Sky boxing people talk about it, but those that they have talked with seem pretty respectful so far. Who is that short-ish American fighter(?) they always talk to? I heard him talking about it early and he was very respectful of Conor.

Probably Paulie Malignaggi. Whilst he has been respectful of Mcgregor, I've heard a couple of recent interviews with him where he was shitting on the potential fight between the two. That said, I don't really know how a professional boxer could be any different when assessing Mcgregor's chances?

So I guess perhaps respect for the sport is as good as we are going to get.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I've already experienced this a lot. People in my office talking as if it's an even fight which either man can win

i had a work colleague drop some nostradamus shit on me yesterday...

"you heard it here first, Mayweather by decision"

😂

Archived