The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Echo the Paulie love. He's class, the Showtime boxing commentary team is the best of any combat sports, i love that he has a close association with Sky too because we get to hear more from him.

Feels like im the only Schaub defender here 😅 i'd like to state that im a fan of his podcast work rather than his analysis...and im yet to see any of the showtime stuff.

11 hours ago, METAL ON METAL said:

I don’t think that’s a reason that would stop either of them working this, as Fox and Showtime are working together quite closely for this fight. I think it’s more the case of who they could get (possibly cheaply) last minute after the whole Helwani situation.

Fox are showing the prelims to this show and also had the press conferences being covered live on UFC Tonight on FS 1.

Obviously the UFC have a vested interest but obviously can't be too involved like a promoter as it will violate the Ali Act (which for now is Boxing only) but Al Haymons PBC have a deal with Fox and he's Floyd's manager, so that will be why they are showing the prelims as they are in deals with both PBC & the UFC. The people commentating will have Fox Sports microphones until the PPV starts then it will be a Showtime PPV.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, METAL ON METAL said:

He was only chosen in the first place due to Dana having one of his childish tantrums about Helwani.

That's not true. Schaub was always part of the plan and the plan was initially to have a 4 person team. 

• Paid Members

there's seems go be an assumption here that Schaub is some of kind of Dana White arse licker who's got this gig due to their relationship. You seem to forget that Schaub left the UFC on bad terms, he was very anti-reebok (which was the reason ultimately left) and was fired from hosting UFC Tonight because the UFC didn't like his views on the show.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

there's seems go be an assumption here that Schaub is some of kind of Dana White arse licker who's got this gig due to their relationship. You seem to forget that Schaub left the UFC on bad terms, he was very anti-reebok (which was the reason ultimately left) and was fired from hosting UFC Tonight because the UFC didn't like his views on the show.

Yeah, Dana called him out on his sponsorship numbers after what he said on the Rogan podcast about Reebok as well, didn't he?

53 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Yeah, Dana called him out on his sponsorship numbers after what he said on the Rogan podcast about Reebok as well, didn't he?

Yeah, but I think he ultimately got proved right on that.

I don't like Schaub particularly, though he's better than Callen, but I can see why he's been given the gig. For whatever reason, he's a pretty big deal at the minute.

I echo the love for Paulie. His scorecards are baffling at times, but he's usually entertaining to listen to. Seems like a nice enough bloke as well. 

Oh, and this page has established that UFC/Dana hate Helwani more than Schuab; despite the latter leaving the UFC on bad terms. It's funny because years ago Dana and Helwani had a similar relationship to what Kugan Cassius and Eddie Hearn have today. I remember Dana breaking the news that UFC had bought Strikeforce exclusively to Helwani. He even flew Helwani out for an exclusive interview from what I remember. How things changed. 

• Paid Members

Paulie Malignaggi is great. I enjoy him much more as an analyst/commentator/interview etc than I ever did as a boxer. He's really smart when it comes to boxing, he's entertaining to listen to, opinionated but in a good way and he argues his case with logic, and he doesn't take shit or mince his words when he feels strongly about something. He's not scared to throw his opinions out there. 

I've got a lot of time for Paulie. Like Johnny Nelson on the UK side of things, he's pretty much my go-to guy for boxing interviews. When something big is going down in boxing, I usually get on YouTube and see what Paulie has to say about, followed by Nelson...followed by Teddy Atlas for a chuckle.

On the subject of commentators - I assume Mauro Ranallo is getting the gig of play by play. Thoughts on that? I love the Sky Sports guys to be honest, I don't know if they'll be doing their own broadcast if SKY are taking the PPV rights.  However here in Aus we'll get the Showtime feed. 

TBH I'm gutted it is on Showtime because of  the ring announcer. HOW GOOD would it have been to do something with Michael and Bruce Buffer? 

"Iiiiiiiiiiiits TIMEEEE to GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUMBLE!" 

Archived