The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian Stann & Rashad Evans are both employed by Fox through the UFC, Brendan Schaub isn't and I think his work on the Bellator PPV was a one off.

Ariel Helwani is more of areporter but his actual in cage analyst isn't that great by his own admission, even though he's a bit arrogant Luke Thomas is a lot better, Pat Miletich would have been even better but he works for the RFA who run almost every Friday.

I think Randy Couture and Frank Shamrock both work for Bellator or at least paid to show up to the events and meet and greets ambassadors.

1 hour ago, the_mole said:

Brian Stann & Rashad Evans are both employed by Fox through the UFC, Brendan Schaub isn't and I think his work on the Bellator PPV was a one off.

I don’t think that’s a reason that would stop either of them working this, as Fox and Showtime are working together quite closely for this fight. I think it’s more the case of who they could get (possibly cheaply) last minute after the whole Helwani situation.

Fox are showing the prelims to this show and also had the press conferences being covered live on UFC Tonight on FS 1.

Yeah Luke Thomas is a cunt too. FWIW I don't really mind Schaub - he's a charismatic and nice-sounding bloke - and I've enjoyed some of his Big Down Breakdown podcasts.  But you just need to take him with a pinch of salt.  No real analysis or intellect about him, but he has good enthusiasm. I don't know about you lads - but I certainly don't feel the need for him to protect MMA like I would if he were talking about my football team.  Boxing doesn't care for any of this anyway.  So fuck it. 

I found it interesting that Fox Sports 1 and the UFC are advertising 'prelims' before the Mayweather-McGregor card. What is that? I've never heard the word 'prelims' used before in boxing.  Is it a UFC card that's airing before Mayweather-Mcgregor PPV card? Is it the pre-pre-card of the boxing? What is it?  I'd laugh a bit if they stuck Demetrious Johnson on it if it was the Octagon. Probably filmed in the TUF gym! 

• Paid Members

They've picked Schaub to because he's very popular. His podcast is huge and he's selling out his stand up shows all over the place.

Personally i like Schaub. A lot of the hate carries over from his fighting days, but he's done incredibly well for himself since (has his own range of trainers out for fuck sake). My thoughts on him as far as analysis goes is that he's not great, but he's opinionated and charasmatic and they need someone pushing the MMA agenda (even though Schaub is very much pro boxing too).

He had Paulie Malignaggi on his Big Brown Breakdown this week, should be a good listen.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

I still maintain Cruz was the best man for the job. He may have actually had something relevant to say.

1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

Nah, not having it. Schaub is a fucking knob. A big manchild who thinks he's way smarter than he is. 

Both of these.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, OzExile said:

I don't know about you lads - but I certainly don't feel the need for him to protect MMA like I would if he were talking about my football team.  

I never asked that he "protect" it - I said he's representing MMA when up on that stage giving analysis from the MMA side, and it'd be great if he came across like he didn't have an IQ of 80.

Because when Conor loses, it'll look like nobody in MMA thought it could happen because Shaub was the only MMA voice out there in the mainstream.

• Paid Members

Brendan Schaub is just fucking horrendous. I don't doubt he's done well for himself, but he's just god awful. I think he's at his worst with Rogan in all honesty. Just kisses Rogan's ass the entire time.

In relation to Helwani and the role, whilst what Dana did was awful, he certainly wasn't the right person for the role either. As great as an interviewer Helwani is, he's just not great as a presenter. Even as part of the MMA Beat he has major flaws. And then there's his MMA Analysis which is pretty terrible to say the least. He thrives in an environment where he can listen and get the best out of the person he's interviewing.

If the timing was better Cormier would have been my pick. For me he's the best of all worlds. Has charisma, can break a fight down, well spoken, and is just a bloody great guy. I also agree with shouts for Evans and Stann. In regards to Cruz, I just can't get past that monotonous voice. After a while he just begins fade into the background where only dogs can hear him. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Helwani is a good interviewer but his analysis is terrible - really hasn't a clue, TBH. And Luke Thomas is pure arrogant and unlikeable, even though he has good fight analysis. You really need a fighter for that role. Evans, Stann, Cruz, Cormier, etc.

I know nothing about boxing people, but Paulie Malignaggi came across really well. His analysis was great & he was likeable too - I warmed to him immediately. He gave Conor his due in MMA, but was also a realist re this fight. Isn't he training with Conor now? Anyway - MMA needed a guy like that up there. Not some bro-science donkey. "But nobody moves like Conor, bro!" ain't gonna cut it. Paulie was being respectful to Shaub but shaking his head inside.

Paulie has been a revelation as a boxing analyst/commentator. He was kind of a loud mouth, abrasive trash talker for most of his career. Talented fighter but I thought he was abit of a pillock tbh. His work as a commentator has completely changed my view of him.

If this fight was on HBO it would be Max Kellerman doing the press stuff, he knows his boxing but is a slimy dickhead. He probably wouldn't have much patience with Schaub though and would likely start taking the piss out of him, which would be amusing.

Archived