The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I take it the "third party hold up" is the company who McGregor is contracted to, and who he can do nothing without? And this story belongs to The Sun, reported on in The Independent? I don't think anything is any different than every other time they've been talking about it.

Neither guy has a fight upcoming in their own sport, yet they need their names to stay in the press, and being linked with each other is the best way for that to happen I imagine.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

So apparently the fight is agreed: http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/conor-mcgregor-v-floyd-mayweather-reach-a-deal-over-megafight-report-35450042.html

Conor is going to get his dick kicked in, isn't he?

Mayweather has finished one fight in the last 10 years, right? So, no, probably not. He'll probably lose* though.

*'Lose' meaning make a shit load of money and then stroll back over to MMA with his MMA reputation still mostly undamaged meaning he can still have a huge fight again Ferguson or Khabib and then the Diaz trilogy.

• Paid Members

So apparently the fight is agreed: http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/conor-mcgregor-v-floyd-mayweather-reach-a-deal-over-megafight-report-35450042.html

Conor is going to get his dick kicked in, isn't he?

like every other time it's been rumoured?

Safe to say, until the UFC announces it, it's not happening.

• Paid Members

None of the big boxing sites are reporting it either.

Who actually runs BJPenn.com? There's tons of fighter related pages on facebook that runs bullshit articles all day, i always have to un-follow them.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's all bollocks. If the UFC/Dana White aren't reporting it, reputable boxing sites aren't reporting it, Ariel Helwani isn't confirming it, proper MMA news sites aren't running with it...it's not real. Every time the internet vomits up one of these bullshit 'Mayweather vs McGregor IS ON' articles, I get people at work telling me it's definitely happening this time. Despite them telling me the same thing months ago when it was also 'confirmed', only for fuck all to come of it then either. The fact that McGregor is under UFC contract renders the whole discussion pointless. The only way it can happen while McGregor is contracted to the UFC is with the UFC's cooperation. That wasn't likely anyway, for a long list of reasons. It's even less likely when McGregor's going around being all "FOOK THE UFC".

The day Helwani or Dana confirm Mayweather vs McGregor, and announce a date/venue, is the day I'll buy into it. That's also probably the day Biggie and Elvis, on the backs of pink elephants, appear on my front lawn to deliver me the winning quadruple rollover Euromillions ticket.

• Paid Members

Yeah he's been tweeting but it's basically amounted to what we all knew anyway. That Floyd and Conor are both saying they want the fight. I've always said I believed there were probably real discussions between Mayweather and McGregor about this, but 1) I still think Floyd's playing a game and 2) even if he's not, it doesn't matter that they've been talking because they've still got to get the UFC to OK it. All I've seen from his tweets that I didn't know before is that he said Conor's plan was to meet with the NAC to get the all clear from them, then meet with Floyd's people, then meet with the UFC.

Sounds nice until you realise like we've all been saying, the UFC are only going to let him do it if they're heavily involved. I don't think the UFC will be too impressed that they're playing third fiddle to the NAC and TMT either in Conor's plan of meetings. The NAC bit will be easy. They've shown plenty of times they'll sign off on almost anything if it lines their pockets. But getting Floyd and the UFC to work together is going to be the problem. The UFC would obviously want to control it as much as possible and have their hands all over the promotion, production etc. Floyd's not going to let anyone have say over the ins and outs and details of one of his fights. This is a man who gets a cut of the money if you buy a beer or a hotdog at his fight. He's not about to make concessions for the UFC or McGregor.

And this is going on the assumption that Floyd is even serious. I still don't buy that he is. The x-factor here is the UFC's new owners. We still know very little about them. Under the Fertittas/Dana reign there's not a chance they'd bend over for Floyd's demands. I wouldn't expect the new owners would either but who knows? I just think in the end, there's too many obstacles and too many egos involved for this to be realistic.

It's probably never going to happen, and that doesn't upset me one bit to be honest. Mayweather vs McGregor would make a great Countdown show, a fun press conference, a goosebumpy weigh in...but the fight itself would likely shit the bed and the knock on effect would likely be Conor losing badly but raking in millions and millions. All leading to Floyd the cunt having bragging rights forever and Conor having so much money his retirement probably comes a lot sooner. Shit all round. I get why Conor wants Floyd, he'll cash up big time. But as a fan, give me Conor vs Khabib or Ferguson any day over this tedious tired old Boxing vs MMA, 49-0 vs 0-0 superfight bollocks.

The talk about this has not died down like I thought it would. However, I still don't think it's going to happen. 

The UFC are not stupid. Why would they sign off on it? Their biggest drawing card would more than likely be schooled in a way that would make MMA look bad. As long-term MMA basher Lou Dibella told Sky Sports -

"If Floyd smacks McGregor all over the ring (which is my best guess as to what would happen) that doesn't hurt boxing"

Also, from what I've read, this would be a pure boxing match. Floyd and his team are renowned for not taking unnecessary risks. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the finest boxers of the modern age, but he never leaped into the lion's den like Sugar Ray Leonard and others did. Pac Man was past his best once Floyd dealt with him. He also avoided risky style match-ups (Margarito and Khan), which he would have probably been able to overcome in any case. 

Floyd isn't going to give McGregor any leeway with the rules. Kicking and takedowns would be prohibited. Boxers aren't as ignorant towards MMA as some might think. A speculated reason why the Tyson vs Sapp fight never occurred in 2004 was that both knew they would need certain rules to win. This was 2004, and Mike Bloody Tyson's management team. 

It would be a great spectacle, but little else. 

• Paid Members

What actually are the specifics of the UFC contracts? Am I right in thinking fighters are allowed to fight in grappling events without UFC permission, would a boxing match not be the same, or is boxing specifically singled out as part of the contract?

Archived