The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Honestly, the most satisfying match up is a pro-wrestling match. They can deliver all the hype, a couple of electric angles, then in the end have a smoke and mirrors match that ends in a no-contest so that both guys save face. Something simple, like two goofs running in, Jericho and Owens for example, and then McGregor and Floyd fight them off

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Helwani, who's always been of the stance that it's bullshit that'll never happen, now considers it as a very slight possibility. He's calling it the exploratory phase, in that everyone wants it to happen, but there's still a million hurdles to overcome.

The hype would be unreal, but the fight would be so shit and it'd definitely damage Conor when Floyd drags him into a boring, crap fight.

Maybe everyone involved doesn't care though. With this amount of cash, maybe Conor is willing to look a dickhead and Dana is willing to damage his top draw. This would be walk-away retirement money for everyone, Dana included.

Out of interest, how long did Dana agree to stay with the UFC for when the Fertittas sold it? It already feels like he's got one foot out of the door, particularly when it comes to all this Interim Title shit that he used to be against.

• Paid Members

Probably still Mayweather. If it's still only boxing rules, with all other forms of combat outlawed then I don't see the glove size making much difference. Still, this is never happening. By the time McGregor should have any thought to doing it, Floyd will be in a zimmer frame. Mayweather is keeping his name active (plus probably hoping that the UFC and Conor are stupid enough to sanction it) until something half way interesting pops up in the boxing world for him to go 50-0.

• Paid Members

I've already agreed there's no chance it'll ever happen and there's even less chance that Conor could win....but still. Imagine if he did? Imagine if somehow, out of nowhere, either by fluke or due to Floyd finally getting old, he knocked him clean out. What a story that would be. The way Conor's career has gone so far, it feels like it's almost destined to happen!

He'd still have to beat Undertaker at Wrestlemania to truly be considered legit, though.

Also, god bless Ben Rothwell, who just tweeted this.

Dear @danawhite, there must be an interim title at stake between McGregor&Mayweather,otherwise I just don't find it interesting enough.Thanx

Mcgregor with non punchers boxing gloves on running after Floyd and getting picked of left right and centre would be hilarious to watch. Floyd would knock him out, no problem. Floyd has a great chin as well, even if he does get caught, which would be highly doubtful. Mayweather could end it when he wants. It would remind me of a time when some gypsy king bare knuckle fighter fought Smoking Burt Cooper in the early 90s and just got splattered.

• Paid Members

Rothwell is winning me over lately. I used to be indifferent to him but I'm enjoying the big div now. He was also recently calling out Travis Browne for using his "sugar mama" Ronda purely for money and attention. Rothwell's the pound for pound best troll in the game at the moment. And the boy can move too...

tumblr_nbjweunAIB1r3noc6o1_500.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

McGregor said during his Q&A that he's off to Vegas next to get his boxing license. He also said he thinks he doesn't need the UFC to get it done because of the Ali act, although he would like them involved only "everyone must know their place".

Dana responded about his antics at the Q&A with "If he want to go down that road with us, it will be an epic fall".

• Paid Members

Yeah but Conor could sell a toothbrush to a Jeremy Kyle guest. It's not going to happen. I've no doubt McGregor wants it, but I think to Mayweather it's a running joke used as a publicity tool. I honestly don't think he's got any intention of doing the fight. Part of me is thinking it's also a dick measuring ego thing where Floyd is doing this to show that a fight with him is the real Red Panty Night in combat sports by trying to get McGregor to chase him around for a fight.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived