The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

To clarify, the odds of 100-1 I gave for Conor were the odds I would give him of victory, not what I think the betting odds should be. Even if such odds were given by a bookie, they wouldn't last long because the rush of bets made would push it down. The fact that betting odds are primarily influenced by betting patterns is why they shouldn't be taken as an indicator of the actual odds of something taking place.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Also, how often do you see bookies offer those sorts of odds on anyone in an event with two competitors, and as such only two potential winners? The liability is far too big for their margins in a two horse race, especially in a scenario where a lucky punch could conceivably cost them a fortune. I've been out of the betting shop game for a number of years,  but I doubt big odds are something you'll see on pretty much any boxing match, let alone one with variables and unknowns aplenty.  

The most obvious one is during the Headingley test match against Australia in 1981 when at one point during the match Ladbrokes were offering 500-1 against an England victory. Then Ian Botham hit 149 not out and Bob Willis took 8-43. I doubt there were many takers at that price though except, rather controversially, two of the Australian players.

You can't have odds of more than 10/1 in a two horse race that's actually combat sports.  I think that's round about where Conor started - but the masses of bets on him forced the price down.  

Ever since Holly Holm KO'd Ronda Rousey - its very rare you find odds of more than 4/1 on a fighter. Even if its a mismatch.  And just think back to when David Haye fought Tony Bellew - who's to say Floyd doesn't get injured in round 1 and have to fight on one leg.   

The only way the fight lives up to the hype is if Conor wins. It doesn’t matter if Floyd blitzes Conor or schools him for 12 rounds; Floyd winning is such a given that it’ll feel like a letdown in comparison to the hype.

But if Conor pulls it off, the fight will not only have lived up to the hype, but it will have exceeded it. The fight could be the worst fight of the year, but the resultant shock and awe, the feeling of complete disbelief, the collective bewilderment of people wondering what in the hell happened, will actually make the hype look pale in comparison.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, lambyUK said:

This is the first truly great fan made promo I've seen. Helwani was raving about it last week.

Incredible. The hype for this fight is going to be significantly better than the fight itself. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Yeah, but Supes, what if he actually knocks him out?

'WHAT IF?' boys, thats all I keep thinking. And it makes me solid as a rock.

It'd be the best thing ever. Imagine how smug we could be after?

• Paid Members

I'm just going to continue questioning McGregor. I'm on a wonderful streak of being very wrong.

Anyway, that fan-made video is WrestleMania 17 good. Don't think I've been that satisfied by a video since 'Tori Black First Anal'.

I sent it to my brother and he could not be more excited. Wonderful job.

Archived