The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

"He just made 300M doing what he does best, why would..."

Helwani's logic does have certain flaws in it. One being Mayweather negotiating getting a big cut of his shows, like he currently does, and the other being him realising he could make another 300M in a McGregor rematch - this time MMA. Realistically, how many McGregor-type pay days can Floyd achieve in boxing? Pac-Man 2, maybe, that's it.

I'm done saying "never going to happen" with regards to Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. I was certain they would never box because, logically, it didn't make sense, at the time, but it happened.

EDIT: Mayweather has said he was misquoted and he's not interested.

Explains why McGregor posted this:

Some boy.

• Paid Members

Always looked like a non starter to me. 

Mayweather doesn't need to be chasing down this type of gig. It's a different kettle of fish than when McGregor was angling for the boxing match. 

Forget the money (which Mayweather has plenty of) this is just too much of a risky venture. Doesn't matter who he fights, if it goes to the ground he's getting stopped. Doesn't matter if it's a top star or CM Punk. The result would be the same. 

Mayweather ain't stupid. 

• Paid Members

I'm not entirely sure why it would make Mayweather stupid to take an MMA fight. It would make him a lot of money, and a loss would have no bearing whatsoever on his boxing record. Like McGregor had with the boxing match, he can always point to the fact that it's not his sport when he loses. Not to mention that the prime method to beat him in MMA, i.e. wrestling and grappling, will involve him taking much less damage. Furthermore, MMA matches are much, much shorter than in boxing; he'd be getting a lot more money for a lot less work.

And if he somehow gets an on-the-chin shot in, he's got himself the ultimate bragging rights, and the boxing purist twunts will be happy to have this apparent victory-for-all-time over MMA. 

In the final analysis, I guess it comes down to whether or not he feels he's made enough money, and also whether his ego can sustain the hit of losing at any combat sport for the first time ever.

• Paid Members

I feel like McGregor was in a different position to what Mayweather would be though. McGregor was reaching up whilst to me, it feels like Mayweather would be coming down. 

I appreciate that a loss would have no bearing on his Boxing record, but he's undefeated after 50 fights where as we'd already seen Conor lose twice before. I feel he has way, way more to lose than Conor ever did. Is a pay day worth it over your perceived image? It could be a very. embarrassing situation. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Paid Members

Either way, you know the UFC will throw everything they can at him to get him to sign. The eyeballs he'd get on them, not to mention the sheer hard cash, would be worth it for them.

Mayweather has already said he could do it but he don't want to do it, the factors in his decision are obviously a money factor and the fact he would get killed in an MMA fight.

Why tarnish his career for 1/10 of what he would earn in an boxing match, at least when McGregor boxed it made sense why he did it.

Floyd is all about image, and I doubt he would risk it by participating in an MMA fight.. For other boxers - who market themselves differently - a brave effort in MMA would do their image no harm. However, it wouldn't fit with Floyd's image at all.

Floyd isn't exactly known for taking unnecessary risks either. I doubt he would want to enter a setting where he would most likely received a humbling, and a very public one at that. I could see Floyd boxing again if the right fight came up, but MMA? No chance in hell. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Either way, you know the UFC will throw everything they can at him to get him to sign. The eyeballs he'd get on them, not to mention the sheer hard cash, would be worth it for them.

And also, just as important as the exposure, they'd get that win back for McGregor.

Floyd would get annihilated badly. Just like Conor got shown up in their boxing match. Even people acting like Floyd would win if McGregor stood with him in an MMA fight, I'm not sure about that at all. Like all the reasons we said McGregor would struggle crossing over to boxing, the same would be true of Mayweather adjusting his striking to MMA. His whole stance would have to change. The most obvious change is he'd have to deal with the threat of kicks, knees and elbows. Even just striking, Floyd's whole game could change quick after a few well placed hard leg kicks. Then you factor in he'd be fighting in a cage instead of a ring. An octagon with fencing instead of a square with ropes. That's massive when you've spent 20-odd years mastering the ring. Then he'd be barefoot. Then going from 3 minute rounds to 5 minutes. This is all before you even begin to think about grappling. 

It's not happening. And to be honest, I'd rather just move on from it now and get on with some legit fights instead of more of these weird hybrid crossovers. It was fun as a one off but, as nice as it'd be to see Mayweather get his face elbowed in or his legs kicked into oblivion, I'd rather Floyd just fuck off and McGregor stop pissing about and get back in the cage. 

I'm guessing they talked and they maybe mentioned it as a ball park number but I would assume most of it would be Zuffa Boxing related, I can see Zuffa co-promoting with Mayweather Promotions, Dibella etc and using mostly PBC/Al Haymon guys. They all seem to get on and they all don't like Oscar De LA Hoya or Bob Arum who are with ESPN & HBO right now.

Fox needs non scripted content if the Disney buyout is allowed as they won't have a in house movie/TV production studio & Boxing & UFC would fill some Saturday night slots, obviously not ahead of MLB, NASCAR & CFB and perhaps Showtime helps out as well as they show most of Haymon's fighters.

Archived