The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

One thing that I didn't like about the fight was the referee at the beginning. The shite he spouted whilst aiming it directly at Mcgregor was ridiculous. "I'm not going to wrestle you, I'm not going to grapple you". At no point was he talking to Mayweather which to me showed there was an agenda on his behalf. The crowd rightfully booed him during his ridiculous speech as it was pointed out by Sugar Ray Leonard (or perhaps his co-commentator) that the ref would have gone over the rules in the dressing room prior. 

It was completely unnecessary.

Going on from what Arch mentioned above, I rewatched the fight yesterday with the Leonard commentary and he was excellent throughout. Very balanced. Put Carl Froch to absolute shame. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

One thing that I didn't like about the fight was the referee at the beginning. The shite he spouted whilst aiming it directly at Mcgregor was ridiculous. "I'm not going to wrestle you, I'm not going to grapple you". At no point was he talking to Mayweather which to me showed there was an agenda on his behalf. The crowd rightfully booed him during his ridiculous speech as it was pointed out by Sugar Ray Leonard (or perhaps his co-commentator) that the ref would have gone over the rules in the dressing room prior. 

It was completely unnecessary.

Aye, I was going to mention that. His eyes were squarely fixed on McGregor throughout. He didn't half go on as well. It was all stuff that McGregor would have known anyway. The referee should have left at "let's have a good and clean fight, touch gloves".

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Aye, I was going to mention that. His eyes were squarely fixed on McGregor throughout. He didn't half go on as well. It was all stuff that McGregor would have known anyway. The referee should have left at "let's have a good and clean fight, touch gloves".

i felt that was a bit gimmicky, the ref was actually lenient as fuck toward Conor the whole fight, not once did he give him a sturn warning for those rabbit punches he kept throwing. The fight needed that kind of ref though cause he allowed it to play out and didnt allow anyone to really use the referee as an excuse.

Speaking of gimmicks. I heard this somewhere but it was something i felt on the night, these was a strange flatness to it. The actual fight itself didn't have much pageantry, these was no grand ring entrances, Floyd had no rapper walk him out. Even Conor's entrance was sort of botched, he was ij the ring before his music even kicked in. I dont know if it was intentional to keep it bare bones outside of the anthems or if the delay in the PPV cocked everything up but i was expecting a little more show.

I expected the undercard to feel flat because of the type of crowd attracted and on TFATK they said there were a distinct lack of Irish fans in the crowd because they'd basically been priced out, yet 5,000 seats were empty on the night. Madness.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

the ref was actually lenient as fuck toward Conor the whole fight, not once did he give him a sturn warning for those rabbit punches he kept throwing

Absolutely this, that is another reason why those punch stats were misleading for MMA fans.

EDIT - I didn't stump up the cash, I'm bad

• Paid Members

I liked the referee's talk at the beginning. He'd been introduced as a Boxing Hall of Famer, so it made sense that he'd effectively be giving a talk along the lines of "I'm too old for this shit", and come across as an old vet figure of authority who won't put up with any bollocks.

The UK PPV buys are in and it did just over a million, they are saying this is a record but I think Anthony Joshua has been selling more, it did 250,000 more buys than Mayweather-Pac (In the UK). I can see Sky putting in a decent bid when the UFC UK rights come up, granted most people don't sell PPVs like Conor.

They might not be bog fans of the sport but they aren't going to give up a potential money earner.

Also the figures released thus far are strictly Sky customers, and doesn't include neulion streaming, commercial businesses or Virgin customers.

The record for consolidated is around 1.3 million, which this has nearly beaten as strictly Sky only. It's incredible.

Archived