The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

8 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

not to always bring it back to Paulie but how he assessed it was spot on for me.

Basically back-peddaling and not throwing punches is a way to allow the referee to step in, its a way to get out. Conor can say he wanted to go out on his back all he wants but by the end he had stopped fighting back, thats why Byrd stepped.

Go watch Cotto-Kamegai from the weekend and you'll see a guy trying to win at all costs despite being highly outclassed and losing badly. If you want an example of a guy being willing to go out on his back, look no further. Saying it and doing it are two different things.

Personally, I think the official stepped in earlier than he would have if it were a different fight. I think he knew in his mind that McGregor was a boxing novice and wasn't going to allow him to take any unnecessary shots, probably the right thing to do.

What people seem to be forgetting here is that it was, for all intents and purposes, an exhibition bout. I said that way back at the start of the discussion and was hammered for it due to it not "technically" being an exhibition in true terms. But, that's what it was. We all know it.

Funny you should mention Kamegai. As I said in the boxing thread, he's possibly the dumbest man who's lacing up gloves today. An absolute fucking chump of the highest order. Going out there and getting his skull rattled in a fight he was never going to win? Absolute madness of the highest order.

Now, I know that kind of mentality is lapped up by the boxing masses, as it proves him to be a "real man" or some other bullshit, but if we're pointing at that kind of thinking as something for McGregor to aspire to, then I honestly don't know what to say.

Conor didn't "bottle it", and he didn't "look for a way out", he went in there and did what he was capable of doing, which, funnily enough, ended up being far more than anyone really imagined he could do. 

He blew his load trying to force the fight early on a gamble that he'd perhaps manage to catch Floyd with something and score an upset. It didn't work, and he gassed badly as the fight went on. We knew that would happen. I was sitting there watching, and as we hit the 5th and 6th rounds I knew in my mind that he had even less chance of winning than he did at the outset.

He was gassed, he was being caught with punches but he was still standing. Did he backpedal? Sure he did. What would you rather he did? Walk forward whilst dazed and confused blocking punches with his face like Kamegai did? Fuck that shit, that's moronic and, quite frankly, uncomfortable to watch.

He did what he could, and he'd have continued fighting had the official not stepped in. You can't ask any more from him, and for anyone to now fire shit at him after the fact after enjoying the ride in the build up is pretty poor to be honest.

Oh, and fuck Paulie Malignaggi. In the grand scheme of things he's a fucking nobody. If Conor hadn't brought him in he'd just be another retired, mid-level alphabet champion working as a talking head for Showtime. He can chat shite about how Conor didn't do this or that, but what did he do against Mayweather? That's right, he didn't even get the fight.

Who has Paulie beaten? His last meaningful win was over Zab Judah. Almost four years ago. You want to talk about a bottler? That twerp has bottled every big fight he's been in. 

Fought Cotto? Lost. Fought Hatton? Lost. Fought Khan? Lost. Fought Broner? Lost. Fought Porter? Lost. Fought Garcia? Lost.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Remember as well, Conor was 'backpeddling' like fuck in the second Diaz fight too at times when he was hurt and tired in the middle rounds. Then he got his second wind late on, finished strong and ended up taking the decision. I think it's just something he does when he's trying to regroup and catch a breather. It's not the best way to do it granted, because you're effectively running away avoiding the fight. But I think it's a part of his game to buy time when he's gassed. Gustafsson does it too, not so much for being gassed but to create distance and reset, you can see it in the Cormier and Teixeira fights. It's not something I particularly like seeing but if it's a choice between that or eating punishment when you don't have to, you do what needs to be done don't you? In this case, Floyd's just too good for that, recognised McGregor was dazed and flagging badly conditioning wise and swarmed all over him. 

I genuinely don't think there's anything more to read into it than that. I think some people are just looking for negativity and reasons to hate on McGregor, to be honest. He was  in a boxing match with a much, much, much better boxer. He got schooled but he actually still did better than I expected. He just wasn't equipped to see out the 12 rounds is all. It's as simple as that. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, David said:

He did what he could, and he'd have continued fighting had the official not stepped in. You can't ask any more from him, and for anyone to now fire shit at him after the fact after enjoying the ride in the build up is pretty poor to be honest.

i hear that.

Im not really throwing shit at Conor, i think he put up a commendable effort but its not without its holes. My issue is at the reaction to the fight. I mentioned initially that i was very surprised at the positive reaction, i expected more shit to be thrown but fans have rallied behind him (which is pretty amazing in todays day and age, again thats what my inital posts were surrounding, Conor's bond with his fans).

I got annoyed at MMA fans attempting to gain some kind of one-up on boxing by throwing  stuff like them ridiculous figures out there that Conor landed more punches than Manny Pacquiao. Ariel Helwani has been flaunting it but anyone with any kind of knowledge of either sport knows that they are completely irrelevant given the the circumstances. Then there's the stoppage, people have rallied around Conor's post fight comments and are claiming it should have continued, which again, to anyone with any kind of brain is nonsence, it was a justified stoppage.

For a first fight Conor put in a great effort, but he came nowhere near close to pulling off what he predicted or what his fans predicted did he? he tried but he didn't come close. Weren't 90% of bets made placed on Conor? these people didn't he'd put up s better than expected performance, these people genuinely thought he was going to win! it has to be the best sell job in sports history, has to be.

We're just gonna go around in circles with this.

Ariel Helwani daren't say a bad word about Conor though. Nor should he really.  

The whole thing was a bit anti-climatic for me - but that's because the fighters did a hell of a job promoting this fight and bringing McGregor into shorter odds to beat Mayweather than were placed on Canelo others.  TBH - there was such a small chance of this being anything other than an anti-climax that I'm not mad. Got to give it to Conor - yes he will go home very rich from this - but he just stepped in with the GOAT and gave it his best.  I was disappointed with the way he was flurrying with his shots though. I was hoping he would attempt to pick his shots a little more, be more measured. 

20 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Joe Rogan has done a breakdown of the fight with brendan for his podcast. They don't focus for very long, more like little snippets of stuff, but there's a very interesting bit where they basically suggest the fight wasn't tested and both guys were probably on something.

I'm pretty sure that's nonsense. The Sun printed it was the most tested fight ever.

13 hours ago, David said:

Who has Paulie beaten? His last meaningful win was over Zab Judah. Almost four years ago. You want to talk about a bottler? That twerp has bottled every big fight he's been in. 

Fought Cotto? Lost. Fought Hatton? Lost. Fought Khan? Lost. Fought Broner? Lost. Fought Porter? Lost. Fought Garcia? Lost.

You're right about some of those fights. Khan, Porter, Hatton and Garcia beat him convincingly. However, he was unfortunate not to beat Broner. A lot of people thought he should have gotten the nod that evening. He also showed the heart of a lion against Cotto. 

Elsewhere, take this with a pinch of salt, but Dana has claimed the fight did 6.5 million buys. That would shatter the previous record set by Floyd vs Pac (4.4). I'm sceptical about that number, I think it will be in the region of 4-5 million at the most. 

Oh and Ebb, I am sure you will appreciate this. 

8 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i hear that.

Im not really throwing shit at Conor, i think he put up a commendable effort but its not without its holes. My issue is at the reaction to the fight. I mentioned initially that i was very surprised at the positive reaction, i expected more shit to be thrown but fans have rallied behind him (which is pretty amazing in todays day and age, again thats what my inital posts were surrounding, Conor's bond with his fans).

I got annoyed at MMA fans attempting to gain some kind of one-up on boxing by throwing  stuff like them ridiculous figures out there that Conor landed more punches than Manny Pacquiao. Ariel Helwani has been flaunting it but anyone with any kind of knowledge of either sport knows that they are completely irrelevant given the the circumstances. Then there's the stoppage, people have rallied around Conor's post fight comments and are claiming it should have continued, which again, to anyone with any kind of brain is nonsence, it was a justified stoppage.

For a first fight Conor put in a great effort, but he came nowhere near close to pulling off what he predicted or what his fans predicted did he? he tried but he didn't come close. Weren't 90% of bets made placed on Conor? these people didn't he'd put up s better than expected performance, these people genuinely thought he was going to win! it has to be the best sell job in sports history, has to be.

We're just gonna go around in circles with this.

Sorry Ebb, but it seems like in the build up you were backing team Conor and had your MMA fan hat on, and now that he eventually came undone you've jumped the fence to the boxing side, giving it the "he didn't even come close to doing what he said he'd do", and "MMA fans are talking nonsense, and so is Helwani for raising the punches landed" chat.

I know you like to back your boy Paulie, but that don't mean you gotta flip flop from side to side like he does ;)

The reason Helwani is raising the punches landed point is because there were people on the boxing side of the divide who were claiming that McGregor wouldn't even land one fucking punch! That's the kind of absolute bullshit we've had to listen to from the dinosaurs who frequent that sport!

Truth is, people put bets on Conor, for the most part, because it really was the only viable option. The majority of those bets were made by folk who were watching the fight, maybe with some mates and a few beers, and who wanted to throw down some dough. They weren't gonna back Mayweather at shite odds, were they? The automatic response was to go for the upset, and see if you can win a few quid in the process. I seriously doubt that the vast majority who made those bets actually thought Conor was going to win.

• Paid Members

Para 3: Exactly, David. It's why I brought it up. Max Kellerman etc. were of the opinion McGregor wouldn't even land a punch, never mind winning a round. While you can't dispute a lot of McGregor's output wasn't efficient, he still landed some decent shots. Again, not bad for someone fighting one of the best to do it.

Anyway, I came in here to post this:

31 minutes ago, seanz25 said:

Video online of Dana saying this did 6.5 million buys presumably in the US. 

Here's a question. How do we know that these numbers aren't just bullshit? I heard someone (can't remember who now) talking before the event, and they said that mooted numbers for May/Pac were never verified by the actual PPV providers? Is that right? 

• Paid Members

Chael Sonnen was saying something to that effect on the MMA Hour this week, which makes me more likely to think that the numbers were legit rather than doubt them. They may not have been verified as you mentioned David, and Chael could possibly be right with what he said but it's the old boy who cried wolf scenario with him.

Just now, WeeAl said:

Chael Sonnen was saying something to that effect on the MMA Hour this week, which makes me more likely to think that the numbers were legit rather than doubt them.

He may have read the same article as I did then. I can't for the life of me remember where the article was, but it was a legit boxing publication from what I can remember? Anyway, they said that the PPV numbers, much like attendances and so forth are mostly nonsense, and are never really backed by the actual PPV companies who provide the services.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

Sorry Ebb, but it seems like in the build up you were backing team Conor and had your MMA fan hat on, and now that he eventually came undone you've jumped the fence to the boxing side

I know you like to back your boy Paulie, but that don't mean you gotta flip flop from side to side like he does ;)

negative.

I was team neutral in the build up. I was made to lean more toward Mayweather's side toward the end though because i consistently had to listen to fans banging on about how McGregor was gonna spark him and they wouldn't listen to anything otherwise. 

I fucking loved the build up to this, i even enjoyed the fight. Ive said it many times here before, i watch combat sports for the entertainment factor, i love hype and i love build ups, for me its just extension of being a lifelong pro wrestling fan. What i got miffed about post-fight was some outrageous claims and some people acting like it was more competitive than it really was.

The whole post-fight reaction has been an odd one, and ive definitely swung toward the boxing side because of it. Carl Froch was crucified for given his honest opinion on the Sky broadcast for example, was what he said really far off the mark? i dont believe so, Conor fans just didnt like it because he shot their man down.

All that said, im still as much a fan of both and i cant wait for the fights coming up. More talking points the better :)

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, seanz25 said:

Video online of Dana saying this did 6.5 million buys presumably in the US. 

On The Fighter & The Kid this week they said the fight was streamed illegally by over 100 million people! dont know if i believe that figure.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

On The Fighter & The Kid this week they said the fight was streamed illegally by over 100 million people! dont know if i believe that figure.

Surely there's no way to actually know that figure, is there? The best they could hope for is data on the increase in streaming during the fight and make some random calculations off that. 

Archived