The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

the weight things goes against all usual logic though because its always been believed that a massive weight cut leads to cardio issues.

It's the reason I said I don't think he can make that weight anymore, or certainly not without an even bigger struggle.

Mcgregor is certainly bigger and more muscular than during his cage warriors/FW UFC run. He beefed up for that RDA fight and he's not looked back really.

I still like Paulie, even if he's made himself look daft lately. 

I don't think Conor looked for a way out at all. If he had committed a series of blatant fouls, and got himself DQ'ed on purpose, I might agree. But he went out on his shield. He was fucked from round 5 onward, probably earlier to be honest. Plus, don't forget, Conor went through some very dicey moments in the 2nd fight with Diaz, and managed to weather them. I could never question his bottle or heart. His gas tank? Yes. 

Joe Rogan has done a breakdown of the fight with brendan for his podcast. They don't focus for very long, more like little snippets of stuff, but there's a very interesting bit where they basically suggest the fight wasn't tested and both guys were probably on something.

• Paid Members

not to always bring it back to Paulie but how he assessed it was spot on for me.

Basically back-peddaling and not throwing punches is a way to allow the referee to step in, its a way to get out. Conor can say he wanted to go out on his back all he wants but by the end he had stopped fighting back, thats why Byrd stepped.

Go watch Cotto-Kamegai from the weekend and you'll see a guy trying to win at all costs despite being highly outclassed and losing badly. If you want an example of a guy being willing to go out on his back, look no further. Saying it and doing it are two different things.

• Paid Members

The full fight stats make for some interesting reading.

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/901676316025425921/photo/1

In round 2 Conor landed 6 of 33 power punches vs Mayweather's 4 of 8. Total strikes was 8 of 42 vs 5 of 10. Yet 2 of the 3 judges still gave the round to Mayweather. I remember thinking that weird at the time and the stats just make it look more bizarre.

Round 3 is a similar story. 9 of 39 total for CM vs 5 of 12 for FM.

It really does show you the volume CM was throwing early and how much he was being made to miss. I just don't get how 2 of the 3 judges gave rounds 2 and 3 to Mayweather!

• Paid Members

Because his percentages were much higher than McGregor's in those rounds. Conor threw a shitload of punches comparatively to Floyd, but was massively less efficient with them. Boxing is judged on 'effective aggression', ring generalship, and defence not just the total number of punches landed.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Because his percentages were much higher than McGregor's in those rounds. Conor threw a shitload of punches comparatively to Floyd, but was massively less efficient with them. Boxing is judged on 'effective aggression', ring generalship, and defence not just the total number of punches landed.

That makes sense then. I'm used to MMA scoring.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

not to always bring it back to Paulie but how he assessed it was spot on for me.

Basically back-peddaling and not throwing punches is a way to allow the referee to step in, its a way to get out. Conor can say he wanted to go out on his back all he wants but by the end he had stopped fighting back, thats why Byrd stepped.

Go watch Cotto-Kamegai from the weekend and you'll see a guy trying to win at all costs despite being highly outclassed and losing badly. If you want an example of a guy being willing to go out on his back, look no further. Saying it and doing it are two different things.

In fairness though, you can't compare Cotto vs Kamegai to Mayweather vs McGregor. Kamegai is a pro of 12 years with 33 fights under his belt. McGregor was making his boxing debut against an undefeated 49-0 boxing wizard. Conor just didn't have the tools to fall back on. Plus he was gassed and hurt at the time. Kamegai eating haymakers without any defence was insane. You wouldn't find many experienced boxers fighting like that much less a guy making his debut. 

He stopped fighting back at the end but that doesn't have to mean he was quitting. He was exhausted and eating a lot of pinpoint shots. He was just outclassed by a much better boxer and he didn't have any answers. Put yourself in his position in the 10th round there. It's easy for people to say he quit but what would you do in that position? Stand and trade when you're already rocked and gassed badly? Or backpeddle and try to get out of the way and survive the round? I don't think it's anything more than that. I think McGregor was simply in trouble and trying to put distance between himself and Floyd, hoping to regroup between rounds. The problem was while he was doing that, Floyd was still fresh, constantly closing the distance and picking him apart at will. And the ref had seen enough by that point. 

I'm a big fan of Paulie Malignaggi and I really enjoy his analyst work. But on this, I'm taking everything he says with a pinch of salt. 1) he's got an axe to grind with McGregor, so although he was professional on the live broadcast, he's going to put a negative spin on it now it's all over. And 2) he's angling for a fight with McGregor on St Patrick's Day 2018 at MSG. I think part of this is that he's talking shit to goad McGregor into giving him that last payday. 

• Paid Members

i get your point of view Wand. you may be right, but im seeing it a different way is all.

The Cotto-Kamegai reference is a little off but im just trying to highlight the differences between someone showing real grit and determination and someone back pedalling to survive and possibly looking for a way out, the HBO team wanted the Kamegai fight stopped but they said that the way he was fighting he simply wasn't giving the ref any chance to step in, Conor did none of that. Conor himself claims he wasnt hurt he was simply tired and that he gets wobbly when he does. I aint having that, i just dont think he showed the kind of suds that some people seem to think he did.

I really need to watch it again though.

• Paid Members

I don't know if it was a lack of bollocks, or more a case of self-preservation tactics, but I agree that Conor was effectively tapping out in his actions. That stoppage was as good an outcome as he could realistically hope for at that point. He put the ref in a postion to put a stop to it before he was put on his arse, which gave him the comeback he needed for his promo post-fight. I thought he really showed himself up with his words after the fight, but no doubt his followers will have lapped it up.

Archived