Lowest number of WWE fans since 1996/7?

Maikeru

• Paid Members

TV ratings are on their arse. The highest rated episode of Coronation Street in 2016 didn't have as many viewers as the lowest rated episode in 1995. There isn't a Coronation Street network to help bolster their viewing either. If there was one I'm sure the internet would be full of forums swooning over Albert Tatlocks work rate.

TV obviously means nothing more than a 3 hour advert for the Network, if they get paid for that then they are doing OK, and TV obviously means nothing or I wouldn't be seeing so much of Titus fucking O'Neil.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are more eyes than since tv had three channels on wrestling. Be it social media, all the video on demand Services, live events, there must be as much content being consumed than ever before. Tv is a dying platform. With on demand tv and better Internet, old style broadcasting services are on their way out.

The money WWE gets for the TV deals in America alone makes up a quarter of their overall revenue. You better believe they need that money and the only way they're getting that money again is if they get those numbers up. In the space of 18 months the WWE lost 1.5 million TV viewers in America alone. Sky Sports ratings are way down.

TV is not a dying platform at all. There are many shows that bring in millions in advertising and sponsorships.

Social media does not make any money. Neither does Youtube so they don't matter. They might matter to Vince McMahon but go and talk to someone at Sky Sports. Go and talk to someone at the USA Network and see if they give a damn about you watching on Youtube or Hulu. They don't care. Why? Cause they don't make money from it. Same with the WWE Network, the last time I heard it's not even started turning a profit yet so that doesn't matter either and anyone with a brain would just create a new email address every 30 days and get another free month. No one in their right mind would pay $10 for a month when 5 minutes creating a new email address gets you the whole thing for free.

2019 will be the big year. I've been saying it for a while. That's the year Sky Sports will say no more Smackdown, not as many repeats of wrestling and we'll just stick with Raw. USA Network is getting Smackdown for free, the WWE are footing the bill for it and I think they'll do the same, we don't want Smackdown, thanks all the same but we'll maybe stick with Raw.

And in 2019 nothing will be different. There will still be Youtube and internet and DVRs and you know what? TV companies will still only care about the viewers that watch the show live. Why? Because live viewers cannot fast forward through the adverts and it's the adverts that allow TV channels to pay for content. There could be a bazillion people watching Raw on Youtube. A patrillion watching on DVR and it wont matter one bit to the USA Network or Sky Sports, the only way they can charge big money for the adverts is by large numbers watching on their TV channels LIVE and the money they offer WWE now that the numbers are in the shiiter will absolutely affect the WWE's bottom line. And thing with TV viewers is it's hard to get them back, once you tune out of a TV show that's usually it, people don't go back. The WWE has lost 1.5 million viewers in the span of 18 months. Those people are gone. They're not coming back so now way are they getting the same money they did a few years ago when the number was over 4 million.

From over 4 million people to 2.7 million people in the space of 18 months. If it was any other TV program it woulda been cancelled or there woulda been some serious closed door meetings finding out what has went wrong but of course wrestling manages to skate by and survive the thin ice. Every year some amazing shows get cancelled due to low ratings.

And of course it's niche. You all know that. No one talks about wrestling or mentions it to you in your real life do they? The ratings reflect that. Society has moved on. You take a good look at what is on TV after 8 oclock at night and then look at WWE and TNA. Babyfaces and heels. The ref can't see what's going on behind his back. People jumping through middle ropes. No one swears. No one bleeds. No one speaks or acts like they would do in real life. Matches run for 10, 15 minutes at a time.............and you've got world class actors on other channels? Actual original programming? Programs where actual effort has been made? Society has moved on and Vince McMahon will be 74 in 2019, I really think that's why no effort is being made. I think we're in the last 5-10 years of WWE wrestling being on mainstream TV and some of you might think that's no issue, just put it on the Network but they would go out of business. A quarter of the companies total revenue comes from American TV alone and those numbers are freefalling, I expect that number to dip below 2.5 million in the first half of this year. Interesting times for sure.

And regardless of what happens. I've seen the best wrestling has to offer. Hulk Hogan was a good actor in the 80s, some of the best actors in the 90s like Steve Austin and The Rock, later in the 2000s John Cena. I've seen them all live in person. It's like being able to say you seen Mohammad Ali box in person or you seen Madonna in her prime. You seen the big rock metal bands play in their prime in the 70s. You saw the Beatles! That's what wrestling is like now and all the good ones are either retired or dead. And regardless of what happens to wrestling on TV, I'm glad that I can say I got to see wrestling when it was proper wrestling. I'm glad I can say I got to see it in the 80s, 90s, to the mid 2000s. I'm glad that I can say I got to see the best wrestlers in the world, not just on TV but in person and those memories will live with me forever and it'lll never be that good again. Never. That's why I have no hatred for wrestlers. A lot of people get sick of RIc Flair or Hulk Hogan. Or on Raw some didn't like Shawn's appearance but for me I think to myself, just enjoy it, even though the writing is bad and the scripts aren't good just enjoy it because you don't know when their time is up and that's them gone forever. You just wont see people like that again.

And that's how I see it. I want it to do well. I want all wrestling companies to do well but In the last 10 years it's just not been the same and it wont be the same again. It's like all those other things I mentioned, the young people today like to latch onto things like it's new but when you've seen the originals you know best. And like those other things I can say the same with wrestling. I saw the best 30 years wrestling had to offer.  I certainly hope it's around for another 30 more. I really do. Not for my sake. I've seen the best. For the young people that have made it a niche product, for their sake I hope it's around.

Yes I do. I would say from the mid 80s too. I would say well up until 2006. Wrestling was always about the show. A show. A glorified carnival. That's why I never had an issue with wrestlers taking steroids, it's not real, it's just for show. It's not different than strippers is it? The good ones put on a show. Then men have the 6 packs. They have the baby oil. They do a bit of dancing. It's a show. It's not regular punters up there doing it. Wrestling was the same way, you had men and women that had costumes, accents, finishing moves, they had an act, it was an act and then you had the stories. The reason they wanted to fight from the silly to the serious. We all loved following the stories. In a weird way, we believed in it. It's no different than watching a Batman or Superman movie, we are taken in by the characters and their costumes and then we see the reasons why they are after the bad guys aswell as their interactions with everyone else and we are hooked, we believe in it.

Wrestling now is nothing like that. Very few stories. A lot of them are FIrst Name Last Name. Very few characters and the inring aspect is not believable. No one sells either.

So if you watched the 30 years of wrestling I did and you saw it in person like I did and now you see regular looking people with First Names and Last Names and no one pretends to be hurt and every match is just there for the sake of having  a match it's a very very hard thing to wrap your head around. No doubt that is why WWE has lost so many viewers in America and even over here the numbers have dropped. And if I had to get right down to the nitty gritty of it all, I think for myself and millions of others, the matches didn't matter. I've watched for 30 years, I'm lucky if I could sit here and name 10 matches to you that I remembered. The matches didn't matter, the moments did and I bet you some of the matches that I could name off the top of my head where also big moments, the matches where someone won that was built up and built up and you were rooting for them.

It's almost unrecognizable. And again for a lot of young people, maybe even up to around 25 years old, they wont know that and they wil turn on me. It's like the Lady Gaga fans against the Madonna fans or whatever. Sometimes the older people have seen it all before and seen it done better and when you've seen it done better you can see all the faults and wrestling right now has many. I don't get annoyed at it because it is just my opinion but I can't win those arguments. Those people that have never seen as much wrestling as me or experienced it know more than me. They know more than I'll ever know. That's the attitude and that's fine.

And I don't take anything away from anyone that loves WWE and TNA right now. If you sit and watch Raw and Smackdown, NXT and 205 Live, that's a good 7 hours of your life a week and if you enjoy all that that's great. There's things I like watching that I'm sure many of you wouldn't like but when I'm on forums or I see Youtube and Twitter comments and videos I just get this feeling that they can do no wrong. WWE and TNA can do wrong and if you saw what I saw, if they seen what I seen they would realise how far it's fallen and they would see glaring holes in everything, holes that in  just a few years could cause a lot of problems. SOme of you talk about your friends watching it or used to watch it. Think about that for a second. Why did your friends stop watching it and you kept on watching it? There's a reason for that. There's a reason why 16 years ago 10 million people watching WWF and WCW on Monday Night in America and now it's 2.7 million on a Monday night. The other 7.3 million are just watching other shows. For them it's just a TV show, your friends? Just a TV show. And it is a TV show and it should be considered one and that's another issue that is clear as day.

The WWE is focusing on giving a product that only die hard mat wrestling fans will watch. When we talk about Raw, Smackdown, NXT, 205 Live. Who is gonna watch that? Wrestling fans will. Wrestling fans will always watch wrestling. If the word WRESTLING is in the program name or the synopsis THEY WILL WATCH IT. They watch everything so why would you book a wrestling show that only wrestling fans will watch and alienate everyone else? People watched Hulk Hogan. They watched Roddy Piper. The Macho Man. Shawn Michaels. Steve Austin. The Rock. John Cena. They had no issues watching them in a scripted fight. Why did they stop watching? Because there are no stars left. What is a star? A Star is it not a regular looking man that looks like a fan.

If I didn't want the wrestling business to do well I wouldn't talk about it or give my opinions on it as much as I do. I know how good wrestling can be. I know what wrestling looks and sounds and feels like when it's done right and has the right people involved in it.

I know things wont get better because the people that are in charge of wrestling companies just now are wrestling people and that's the same for Dutch and Jeff over at TNA. Wrestling people only know wrestling. The world moved on from wrestling in the mid 90s, it was only when Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo took the model of wrestling and presented it in a different light that society accepted it once again. Once that was over in 2001, Vince McMahon went back to what he knows, wrestling and it's been the same ever since. Wrestling should be treated like a TV show.

And that's not to say they are all wrong. There's elements there which should be used but it's largely from a bygone era. How many of you on here work? How many of you on here have ever worked in a company where your boss was there for 20, 30, 40 years? How many times have you worked for someone or with someone that does things an old fashioned way, not that's wrong but you know there's a much easier way, a quicker way to do it but you don't say anything because you just do what you're asked to do? It's the same thing. You have many people in society that work in companies and they have done the SAME JOB for so many years that they would never entertain anything different, nothing new, no new ideas, this way works and this way alone. Same with bosses. They do things the way they were taught to, no one else matters, no opinions or ideas, they do what they know.

They do what they know. We all do it in some part of our lives.

But in the case of wrestling, it was brought back to life by Eric Bischoff in the 90s, it was then revived even further by Vince Russo and rather than allowing another young person with fresh ideas to take the reigns, McMahon not only put WCW out of business but he turned his own show which was drawing huge numbers back into an old carny wrestling show and the numbers went down and for the past 15 years they have continued to go down. It's now down to 2.7 million viewers in America. We're now at house shows drawing 3-5000 people and it's still falling because it's 1970s wrestling, it's not TV pro wrestling. And look at the future. There is no 30 year old with fresh ideas. It's Stephanie McMahon in her 40s and Triple H in his 50s. So the 70 year old passes it to the 50 and 40 year old. And what do they all know? Wrestling. So it's the same thing. Nothing new. Nothing different. And you will get regular people, regular TV viewers flipping the channels and they will flip right past. People don't watch the Big Bang Theory to see geeks. They don't watch Walking Dead to see zombies. Those are just hooks. Millions watch them because of the characters and they care about what happens to them. Same with Game Of Thrones. Same with Breaking Bad when it was on. People care about characters. All the WWE and TNA have are wrestlers. Wrestlers that look like regular men and have first and last names to try and make them sound like real men. The only people that will watch that are wrestling fans but when you dress it up with larger than life characters and everyone looks and acts and speaks different and you have over the top storylines and drama involved, giving them all a reason to be angry at each other, all of a sudden everyone that watches TV gives it a chance, because it's not about the matches, it's about the people, the characters and how they interact. But when all the show is is regular looking men and women, average at best really, very few are even nice to look at and all they do is 1970s hokey wrestling, all it does is drive people away. People aren't gonna sit there and have their intelligence insulted in 2017.

Archived