2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I immediately thought of yourself and Chokey, D-Mal. Mad, isn't it?

I've watched Aliens thrice since October (once with the live orchestra, which blew my bollocks into my mouth) so I think I'll go True Lies or One False Move tonight, Frailty and Navy SEALS tomorrow and take it from there.

I promised Jake (me son) I'd hold off til I got him the weekend and we'll watch Weird Science and Predator 2. He was a major Paxton fan himself.

I mean, this alone tops/bottoms all of 2016 for me.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about Aliens and True Lies and Even Predator 2.

In the end I fired up the old Vhs and put on The Vagrant. It still holds up as quite an offbeat horror comedy and Paxton plays his part brilliantly. Amazingly the recording of it I made from it being a Sky movie premiere one Saturday might back in the nineties. And then this afternoon I find it in 3 parts on YouTube. Bugger.

Bill Paxton was an actor who when he pops up in things brought a big smile and cheer to me. I especially liked him popping up in Marvel Agents of Shield and was looking forward to seeing Training Day. Very very sorely missed.

• Paid Members

Did an Aliens Special Edition / Frailty double bill in the end last night and I plan on watching Tombstone, Trespass and Near Dark this week.

There was a link on Twitter from Variety or the Hollywood Reporter that had pooled all the tweets from celebrities about him. Turns out he was notoriously awesome and apparently the nicest guy ever which was great to know.

• Paid Members

Jim Fuller, guitarist with the Surfaris and writer of Wipe Out, Point Panic and various other surf classics has died.

For some reason, a myth went about for years that Morton Downey Jr. was the composer of Wipe Out. Great tune.

• Paid Members

Jim Fuller, guitarist with the Surfaris and writer of Wipe Out, Point Panic and various other surf classics has died.

I would hazard a guess that this has some particular personal importance for you, given your old forum name?

• Paid Members

I would hazard a guess that this has some particular personal importance for you, given your old forum name?

It does indeed, but regardless of that I'd argue that Wipe Out is a bona fide iconic piece of music. Even those that don't know it, know what that sound signifies, and it's imitated even now in shit films when they want an excuse to stick women in bikinis.

• Paid Members

It does indeed, but regardless of that I'd argue that Wipe Out is a bona fide iconic piece of music. Even those that don't know it, know what that sound signifies, and it's imitated even now in shit films when they want an excuse to stick women in bikinis.

Oh, no argument from me. It's a real anthem of a track. Immediately think of summery fun when I hear it.

• Paid Members

Remember when they roped in the Beach Boys to harmonise their way through some chorus bits to the Fat Boys' Surfaris sampling 80s opus Wipeout. Right before they roped in Chubby Checker for a similar track relating to The Twist?

• Paid Members

Remember when they roped in the Beach Boys to harmonise their way through some chorus bits to the Fat Boys' Surfaris sampling 80s opus Wipeout. Right before they roped in Chubby Checker for a similar track relating to The Twist?

Yep, with Frank Zappa's son playing the guitar.

I don't think I've ever heard a reinterpretation of Wipe Out that wasn't horrendous.

Weirdly, the Fat Boys version is probably one of the best.

Johnny Lewis, Half-Sack from Sons Of Anarchy, was found dead this week after falling/jumping from the roof of his apartment complex following him apparently murdering his elderly landlady and dismembering her cat....it's been said they were drugs and drink involved. He was a good character in SOA...didn't realise he was as young as that.

Archived