WWE UK Championship Tournament

Onyx2

I really enjoyed the shows, and as someone who's now 28 years old I curse that I've just missed out on the possibly big UK boom.

WWE was always the intangible goal, but you bet if I was starting off watching wrestling at 11 years old and they had a tournament like THIS i'd be signing up for a wrestling school.

In some ways this show reminded me how much I love this sport and how much I want to be involved in it somehow, although not in the ring now obviously. I guess I'll carry on making my custom videos on YouTube and see what happens!

Kudos to WWE though, a tremendous event in a beautiful venue. I love the Winter Gardens and the Empress Ballroom really lends itself to wrestling.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DDP started in his mid 30s didn't he? if you've got the dough and something to offer, give it a go. it's not like most sports where you have to be practically a pro before the age of 16 to stand a chance

• Paid Members

Trent Seven is in his mid-thirties, 28 gives you plenty of time. Batista started in his 30s, so did loads of others. Bad News Brown for example was in his mid-thirties when he started (although he was an Olympian, so maybe not a great example. Basically, age is not a barrier. 

Drop Scotswizard a PM mate.

Haha. I would but from what I can gather he's too busy saving the business to reply!

And to mim731 and sj5522, you're both right. Truth be told I don't think I'd be any good whether I started now or when I was 8 years old, I have all the athletic ability of a one legged cow! If I was ever lucky enough to get involved at any level I'd certainly be behind the scenes.

I was just thinking "aloud" about the tournament and the rejuvenated UK scene. It truly is wonderful for all involved for there to be a somewhat clear path to your dreams. When I was at school the only show I ever heard about in the UK (other than Revival which was the first show I attended) was a show featuring a fake Undertaker, a fake Kane, a fake Rock etc and headlined by the REAL Gangrel..

Really enjoyed it and hope it becomes a weekly show because it has the potential to be great. I liked the way the competitors and their motivations were introduced before the matches, as well as the little stories and angles that were introduced throughout rather than just matches with 16 new wrestlers and no meaning. It made the tournament much more enjoyable to watch. The Empress Ballroom was a fantatic, unique looking venue too.

Wasn't too keen on Tyler Bate winning the thing when I first saw him, I've not really seen him much and I guess I wasn't a massive fan of his look but he won me over with his ring work. Outstanding for a 19-year-old.

• Paid Members

So, Pete Dunne, Mark Andrews & Trent Seven have been pulled from a live Q&A session/podcast recording in London next Saturday "due to their new WWE contractual obligations".  Question over whether they'll still be at the wXw London show they were scheduled for later that same night.

Not sure whether this means they're needed for NXT Takeover that day (shown sitting in front row???) or just WWE saying what bookings they can/can't take.

There's PROGRESS the next day too (same day as Royal Rumble) that you'd think they'd still be at.

So, Pete Dunne, Mark Andrews & Trent Seven have been pulled from a live Q&A session/podcast recording in London next Saturday "due to their new WWE contractual obligations".  Question over whether they'll still be at the wXw London show they were scheduled for later that same night.

Not sure whether this means they're needed for NXT Takeover that day (shown sitting in front row???) or just WWE saying what bookings they can/can't take.

There's PROGRESS the next day too (same day as Royal Rumble) that you'd think they'd still be at.

For whatever it's worth, Pete Dunne has been liking tweets asking WWE to put him and Tyler into the Rumble.

If they have to be in the Rumble, then make it worthwhile. Just showing up to get flattened does no one any favours.

Have Tyler eliminate Luke Harper, Dunne eliminate Kofi Kingston, then eliminate each other and scrap to the back.

Who are these guys? Tune in to the new Network show launching soon to see more.

• Paid Members

As it was due to air on FloSlam, Pete Dunne has also been moved to a dark match on the IPW UK show this weekend (where he was in a big advertised match with Matt Riddle) and Joseph Conners has been taken off entirely. The same has happened with the upcoming Lucha Forever show on FloSlam where Dunne was supposed to be a contender for their belt in a big ladder match.

It's their prerogative of course, but the 16k deals WWE has these guys under, now exclude ITV, WCPW, anyone on TV such as WAW/5Star and seemingly anything on Flo Slam (which could include Evolve but we will see). Oh and podcasts, presumably.

Be interesting if restrictions apply the other way when ICW, Progress etc wind up on the Network with their TNA, ITV and WCPW guys.

• Paid Members

And since I posted that, anyone with a Vimeo service too.

MORE ON WWE UK TALENT RESTRICTIONS GOING FORWARD

By Mike Johnson on 2017-01-20 09:14:00

As we reported yesterday, there have been a number of talents from the European wrestling scene who are no longer able to appear on the certain independent events that are streaming online on streaming platforms competing with the WWE Network due to signing WWE deals to appear in the UK Championship tournament.

The talents being pulled from events continued today as WWE UK talents Pete Dunne, Mark Andrews and Trent Seven were due to appear at a live "Working a Resthold" podcast Q&A ahead of a WXW show in London next week, except organizers announced today that they needed to be removed due to their WWE deals.

We are also hearing that talents cannot appear on events that would be posted online on services such as Vimeo and that in some cases they are being moved to dark matches for promotions or being finished up altogether as some promoters don't want to have their hands tied in how they can use talents with WWE restrictions.

As I wrote, the ripple effects of the new WWE deals were going to be felt. There are some in the scene upset about the situation but at the end of the day, talents were given a chance to work for WWE and very few are going to turn that opportunity down. The opportunity, as all contracts do, some with certain restrictions. Unfortunately, the fallout of those restrictions are certainly going to drive independent promoters nuts, especially when they have no grace period and previous plans had been made with advertising put in place.

If you enjoy PWInsider.com you can check out the AD-FREE PWInsider Elite section, which features exclusive audio updates, news, our critically acclaimed podcasts, interviews and more, right now for THREE DAYS free by clicking here!

Archived