Would WWE & Anthem working together benefit the biz?

tiger_rick

I don't think anyone is clamouring fora Lashley return to the WWE are they? I mean if he were a surprise rumble entrant he wouldn't even get a nostalgia pop. Hurricane would get a bigger reaction.

I dunno, he was a fairly big name, him and the president shaved Vince's head that one time. It'd certainly garner some interest

It's amazing that sentence is a thing that has actually happened in real life.

The thing is, TNA haven't been known for bringing in that calibre of wrestler in years have they. Styles, Roode, Joe, all of them were in TNA nearly 15 years ago and WWE's changed a lot since then, moreso than ever since they launched the network.

Agreed. But yet they still, for how utterly shit they are, develop guys who people want to see in WWE. Like EC3, Spud, Lashley, Bully Ray. 

See thats the thing though, do they? 

EC3, I think is a fair shout as he's shown he has "something". Lashley, is a bit of a meh choice for me and I'd be suprised if people to legit remember who he is.

Spud is perfect for places like TNA or ROH, not to say he couldn't be in WWE, but the WWE audience (or at least the non die-hard fans) have no idea who he is, so it'd be building from the ground up rather than "OH MY, IS IT...IT IS! ITS SPUD!!" sort of stuff in a royal rumble, for example.

And as for Bully Ray, to be honest, I like that character in TNA, but I just don't think it works in the context of WWE. Due to his history there, as Bubba Ray Dudley, he'll alwasy be Bubba Dudley...a tag team wrestler. Not that it's a bad thing, but because very few of the larger audience in WWE will know anything of his run in TNA, you'd again have to basically do the entire storyline again: breaking up from D-von, going singles etc, which I don't think they'd have the time to do, to build him up.

• Paid Members

Yeah I was thinking about Spud when I thought he had actually left TNA recently as I thought he'd be a good addition to 205 Live or NXT (which he clearly would). But if he made a surprise appearance at the Royal Rumble? Cricket city. I think the same would happen with EC3. He could definitely add value in WWE, but they would need to build him up as I don't think he would garner a reaction from fans based on his TNA run. Not a big one, anyway.

Styles was different, he's built a reputation for himself for 15 years and was been one of TNA's very top guys for the entire duration, almost everyone knew who he was. I always said there were two guys that had never wrestled in WWE (contracted, not including Heat and Velocity appearances) that could make an impact if they signed with WWE- Sting and AJ Styles. Possibly Joe, too. Although you could argue that Joe might have needed that NXT run to build his profile with the wider WWE audience first, similar with Roode. As this is what they've essentially done, there is no way of knowing. They would both get a massive pop if the appeared at the Rumble, but I don't think the pop would've been anywhere as big had they not had their NXT run first.

Looking at TNA's roster, the only guys that I think can make a significant impact if they were to suddenly appear on Raw or Smackdown are Matt and Jeff. Abyss probably might too, but that would be based on appearance more than anything- his size and look. A bit like how Strowman got a reaction the Raw after SummerSlam 2015. Quite a lot of the roster would make an impact if they were to appear on NXT, however.

Abyss could have made an impact in WWE when it was rumoured he was offered a role in 06-ish, possibly something culminating in Taker at Mania and stuff (although that's never something to lay your hat on, remember Hade Vansen and his apparent team of X-Men-like mutants?). He looks worn out and shit to me now though

I think some big-fans would quite like to see guys like Lashley and Galloway back, but particularly in the case of Galloway who was a joke when last seen on WWE TV, it would take some genuine commitment from the company for it to be worth a damn.

I think who I wanna see most of all is EC3 back on NXT, just let him be entertaining Derrick Bateman much as he was before and he'll get over there in an instant. Was it an injury/injuries that caused him to be released originally? Quite short sighted if so, can't imagine looking at him and not wanting to make him an important part of the company's future

Galloway I think is a bit different, as due to many things (his travelling about, his overall size/look, plus his history in WWE [former IC and tag champion]) it wouldn't be hard to build him back up as a decent player on the roster.

As for TNA as a whole, there are very people involved I'd like to see in WWE at all.

Wolves, as a tag team.

Hardy's, although without this "delete" shite.

Maybe EC3 + spud as just random additions to the lower or mid card

and that's about it. Every body else, is either pants or just not really worth it. Abyss would have been fantastic, 10 years ago, but is just wasted garbage now in TNA.

• Paid Members

Pretty much why they shouldn't bother going to WWE. Let's face it, like the Dudley Boys, they're going to have a nostalgia run as the Hardy Boys like it was 1999 and nothing happened since.

(Cue, "it was TNA so it never happened lolz")

• Paid Members

I think if you're gonna class TNA as producing a star like Samoa Joe, despite him being well known from his ROH days prior to being there, then Kevin Owens surely has to be a shout for coming through NXT

Member how gutted Christian looked when he got loaned to TNA for one night? It was awkward and embarrassing and shit, imagine someone having to do that for six months. Imagine doing it with 20 people sat in the crowd and surrounded by other wrestlers who had been presumed retired

Surely that was more to do with the awkwardness of the situation rather than being in TNA? He had a good run down there, but he was probably worried about putting TNA over and doing something to rock the boat. He mumbled something about TNA fans being great from what I remember,

Pretty much why they shouldn't bother going to WWE. Let's face it, like the Dudley Boys, they're going to have a nostalgia run as the Hardy Boys like it was 1999 and nothing happened since.

(Cue, "it was TNA so it never happened lolz")

It just another one of those things where if they did do it, they'd have to properly re-do the whole thing for the wider audience to get it, when there's just no point, or probably enough time to do it and make it look alright.

Get Matt back in as a mid card guy, and have Jeff in the running for a title run again. 

Bully Ray's not working TNA right now is he? I'm still holding out a smidge of hope he'll be a surprise Rumble entry again. I can understand not wanting to do a big turn on D-Von or anything like that, but it's a simple enough story to tell for him to come back to do things His way

I think if you're gonna class TNA as producing a star like Samoa Joe, despite him being well known from his ROH days prior to being there, then Kevin Owens surely has to be a shout for coming through NXT

Member how gutted Christian looked when he got loaned to TNA for one night? It was awkward and embarrassing and shit, imagine someone having to do that for six months. Imagine doing it with 20 people sat in the crowd and surrounded by other wrestlers who had been presumed retired

Surely that was more to do with the awkwardness of the situation rather than being in TNA? He had a good run down there, but he was probably worried about putting TNA over and doing something to rock the boat. He mumbled something about TNA fans being great from what I remember,

The awkwardness of the situation was being in TNA. When he signed they were the company hiring great wrestlers from the indies who everyone was pulling for. People wanted them to succeed. By the time he went back they had become a joke, it only got worse from there.

Now I can't imagine anyone would choose to be in TNA over WWE.

Its kind of like asking whether Manchester United would be better off having a feeder club in the conference so they can have good potential talent and the feeder club can stay in business. Except that United (much like WWE) would be better off investing in their own development system and if someone is good enough they will sign them anyway. 

Its kind of like asking whether Manchester United would be better off having a feeder club in the conference so they can have good potential talent and the feeder club can stay in business. Except that United (much like WWE) would be better off investing in their own development system and if someone is good enough they will sign them anyway. 

It's more like asking whether Simon Cowell would be better off using the Lost Prophets to scout and develop new up coming musicians to be fair. 

• Paid Members

It's more like asking whether Simon Cowell would be better off using the Lost Prophets to scout and develop new up coming musicians to be fair. 

Possibly best to avoid mentioning young up & comers to Ian Watkins...

Archived