TV Theme Songs and Soundtracks

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I have a pretty poor taste in television. Would much rather watch old episodes of Bergerac or Morse than the latest GOT of Waking the Dead. Despite living in the proclaimed 'Golden Age of Television' I think one area that has not improved is the wonderful world of television themes songs. 

After Ian's outstanding thread on Prince Among Men last year and the impending return of Twin Peaks, I think it's time to offer a tribute to great TV themes.

Essentially, my scientific theory based on my three nominations is that MORE RACISTS/RACISM = BETTER THEMES

If anyone can find me better theme songs than the following three from any time after 2010, I would be genuinely interested. 

In Sickness and in Health in particular is a fucking superb Chas and Dave number. 

EDIT: Shit, I almost forgot to post the song that inspired me to set this thread up. Honestly, I quite get often get back from the pub and listen to this followed up by The Soviet National Anthem. I also quite often listen to political speeches because I'm a saddo. Watch me blub to the Gettysburg Address or Ronald Reagan speaking to the nation after the Challenger disaster some time.

That's a truly superb piece of music and the sound track for Peaks in general is outstanding. 

What are your favourites and why?????

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I have a pretty poor taste in television. Would much rather watch old episodes of Bergerac or Morse han the latest GOT of Waking the Dead. Despite living in the proclaimed 'Golden Age of Television' I think one area that has not improved is the wonderful world of television themes songs. 

After Ian's outstanding thread on Prince Among Men last year and the impending return of Twin Peaks, I think it's time to offer a tribute to great TV themes.

Essentially, my scientific theory based on my three nominations is that MORE RACISTS/RACISM = BETTER THEMES

If anyone can find me better theme songs than the following three from any time after 2010, I would be genuinely interested. 

In Sickness and in Health in particular is a fucking superb Chas and Dave number. 

EDIT: Shit, I almost forgot to post the song that inspired me to set this thread up. Honestly, I quite get often get back from the pub and listen to this followed up by The Soviet National Anthem. I also quite often listen to political speeches because I'm a saddo. Watch me blub to the Gettysburg Address or Ronald Reagan speaking to the nation after the Challenger disaster some time.

That's a truly superb piece of music and the sound track for Peaks in general is outstanding. 

What are your favourites and why?????

Assuming you've seen it before, but it deserves to be posted regardless.

Edited by Bettencourt

I have a pretty poor taste in television.

Don't you dare say that Gus. You like Great Railway Journeys and Countryfile so your taste in TV is just fine.

As for modern themes, you'd do well to find one that suited a series better than S1 True Detective.

Really though, has there ever been a better theme than Grandstand? It's like a jolly Kurt Angle's WWF theme but 10x better. In fact, I can't help but wish his WWF run would've been so much better if they'd used that theme instead.

• Paid Members

I haven't, so thank's for that Bettencourt. David Lynch is such an utter mentalist, I love it. 

I honestly might have the Twin Peaks theme played at my funeral. Followed up by Dead by the Pixies and the Soviet National Anthem. My aim in life is that I have enough money to have a funeral where I get blown out of a cannon like Hunter Thompson with the Soviet Anthem blaring out at ear-splitting volume.

Steak: You are so right on S1 of True Detective. That theme was superb and the series in general chimed with me because it was only 8 episodes. I just don't have attention span for 22 episodes of anything over 25 mins. Was gutted when they had the guy who sounded vaguely like Leonard Cohen for S2. 

EDIT: Chokeout, if you do happen to see this, is there any chance at all of putting Kurt Angle's titantron to the Grandstand theme?

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Fucking hell Sergio, I thought the melody to Charles in Charge was a pop-song, not just from a slightly rubbish looking TV show!

This is fucking big time. A wrestler needs to use this as a theme song. Call him 'Richard Rightwing' or something.