How stupid is wrestling as a profession?

honor87

Wrestling as a profession isn't stupid. If you love it, then go for it. You'll have lived more than the majority by doing it. You'll have great stories to tell. It's not all glitz and glam of course - and the fame that can come with it can be overbearing and tiresome - but the moments make the gruelling parts worthwhile. That's like anything in life I guess - the shit you go through make the finer moments much more rewarding and sweet.

I'd argue it's more stupid for people to not follow their love. My enthusiasm for doing wrestling was massive as a kid - I'd scribble down feud ideas, promo ideas, ideas for sequences, logo designs, all sorts in the back of my school books. My enthusiasm waned and I simply didn't/don't have the drive and strength to cut it, but being able to perform at events like Progress, let alone WWE or Japan, would be an amazing feeling. I'm sure guys on the circuit over here must know they're having the time of their lives and will look back on it with massive fondness - even if they don't make it. The skills you acquire and contacts you make can put you in good stead for life.

Wrestling is no longer popular enough to be a financially rewarding, or even viable long-term career for the vast majority of those who try to get into it. In the territory days there were thousands of full timers about, now it's a few hundred. Chances of an indie wrestler making it to WWE these days? Maybe 1%? And then their chances of staying there for more than 5 years max? Similarly slim. For every guy that makes it big there's at least 100 who struggle along. 

• Paid Members

Wrestling is no longer popular enough to be a financially rewarding, or even viable long-term career for the vast majority of those who try to get into it. In the territory days there were thousands of full timers about, now it's a few hundred. Chances of an indie wrestler making it to WWE these days? Maybe 1%? And then their chances of staying there for more than 5 years max? Similarly slim. For every guy that makes it big there's at least 100 who struggle along.

The flip side is that it's much easier to get into. In the old days, you had to know someone, there were expectations of what you would be like and they'd try to kill you before they let you in. Now anyone can do it. There are tons of trainers, tons of "schools", anyone can pass through the shit ones and come out with a wristlock and a couple of flips and there are a ton of "promoters" who'll let anyone work. As long as you don't expect to make any money, you're in.

It's easier to get into WWE now than it's ever been. You've got to believe in yourself but also be constantly trying to better yourself and pick flaws in what you're doing. Which, again, is the same as in any walk of life. There are a lot of guys out there who are doing well on our shores, and they'll think that they have a chance of getting into WWE one way or another. They can go to the main roster, NXT, 205 Live or through this UK Championship deal they've got going on. I very rarely go to BritWres shows (something I could do with sorting out this year), but I'm very pleased and excited for the opportunities a lot of these guys have.

It's a defeatist attitude to say '1%' in my opinion. If you think like that, then there's every chance you won't make it. If you believe you have something to offer and reinforce that by getting crowds to react to you, then you can make it. Paige used to wrestle a ten minute walk from mine and I've been acquaintances with someone who is almost certainly going to be in WWE soon so I absolutely believe you can do it if you have the hunger and commitment.

Archived