Your wrestling 'defaults'

garynysmon

Have to second Kurt Angle being a WWE guy. He could return to TNA tomorrow and work another decade there but he'd still be a WWE guy to me. Same with the Hardys.

Even though I first saw them in WWE in 1999, I consider The Dudleys ECW guys. When I saw them at ECW One Night Stand, I felt like they were so much more comfortable and natural in that environment, and this was reinforced any time I've seen Dudleys ECW footage since.

Steve Austin was ALWAYS USWA until the Attitude Era.  He looked out of place in WCW.

Bruiser Brody was always a legit hard bastard no matter where he went, but I always automatically associate him with the NWA TV tapes of 1984 - 1986 not anywhere else.

Randy Savage's valet is Gorgeous George.

Two of the first shows I ever watched were WCW Spring Stampede 99 and Bash at the Beach 99. Savage really jumped off the screen and there was some sort of nonsense with George and backstage ridiculousness that grabbed me.

Savage in the black leather is what always comes to my head above any of his other looks.

• Paid Members

Survivor Series is teams of four rather than five.

This for me too. Doesnt matter to me that it was five to begin with, it was 4 on the tapes I was watching when I got into wrestling, it stayed 4 for the majority of Survivor Series through to 2004, and I've never been a fan of five. Too many eliminations to squeeze into a match unless it gets given more time than they invariably do.

Plus I felt the old school team dynamic of crossed feuds fit 8 perfectly. One main eventer or upper midcarder, one midcarder or opener, one tag team. That's a Survivors team. In recent years its felt random as fuck.

• Paid Members

Steve Austin was ALWAYS USWA until the Attitude Era.  He looked out of place in WCW.

Nah, stunning Steve in the Hollywood Blonds alongside Pillman. Team of the 90s.

Scott Steiner is Big Poppa Pump, as opposed to the young, be-mulleted brother of Rick Steiner.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• 3 years later...
  • Paid Members

Although he's better remembered for his face run, Jake Roberts will always be a dastardly heel in my book, just for that awesome 1991/92 run that left such an imprint in my childhood.

Monday Night Raw will always be about the big "RAW" letters on the isle/video screen and JR and McMahon in black and red jackets.

Eddy (never Eddie) Guerrero and Rey Mysterio JR will forever be midcard WCW guys.

7 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Eddy (never Eddie) Guerrero and Rey Mysterio JR will forever be midcard WCW guys.

I started watching in late 2002, so it's quite the opposite for me. Austin had disappeared and Rock was in Hollywood, so Eddie felt like the biggest star in the world to me. The reactions he got week in, week out far surpassed any other at that time. So I reckon for me, he's always going to feel like a much bigger star than he perhaps does for people who knew about him before I did.

A weird default for me is X-Pac. Before I watched wrestling, he was my go to character in the Smackdown videogames (the first one, I think?) and I was pretty good as him. In the end, my friend told me that I wasn't allowed to go him anymore because he was a game-only character and wasn't a real wrestler meaning that it wasn't fair. 

I didn't know any better and was young, so I believed him. 

Whenever I see or hear about Sean Waltman now, I inevitably end up thinking about that and feeling a bit ridiculous/cheated.

• Paid Members
On 1/7/2017 at 9:20 PM, Arch Stanton said:

Everybody's mum: "WF wrestling"

It took 4 members of staff about 25 minutes to find the right tape to go in my "WWF Mania: The Video" in Woolies because the first 3 had all been looking under WF not WWF in the drawers under the counter.