The 2016 UKFF50: The Results

Linus

Surprised Brookes is so low there. He's really good, although yeah, lots of people in this list are going to be really good.

The Midlands/Wales scene has the buzz right now, and a lot of what could be termed "opinion formers" live in the right area to give it attention but it isn't necessarily that widely seen yet I don't think. The other places he has worked a lot are Southside (which probably doesn't get the attention it deserves), and wXw (which is still fairly niche I think). In 2016 he worked 2 matches for ICW on English tour shows, 0 for Progress, 0 for Rev Pro, 0 for the dreaded WCPW, and 0 for northern promotions such as PCW, Tidal, FutureShock...so I wasn't surprised he is this low. I have never seen a Chris Brookes match for instance.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll add a couple of comments as I was too late to submit my last 15

Stevie Boy / BT Gunn - can pretty much say the same for both. Excellent at family shows teaming as they are anything goes opponents in icw. Both have the wrestling part down, stevie is a superior talker but definitely worth going to watch if at a show near you.

Wolfgang - as I only picked up on icw about 15 months back I was late in seeing what Wolfie was about. Hes come onto his own as a sneaky heel using brass Knucks to pick up wins instead of when he was a face mixing his strength and speed to max effect. Mainly been Scottish based but has branched out going over to Italy and will be going into the wwe uk championships in fine form. Hope to see him progress through and get a brighter light shone on him.

• Paid Members

No. 38 - Jackie Polo

Twitter: @JackiePolo

Entrance theme: “Jackie” by Scott Walker

Total 1st place votes in 2016: 0

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

Regular promotions during period:

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Target on the English/Scottish borders... Source Wrestling School in Glasgow... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Scottish Wrestling Association in west Scotland

ad8dae3e32a665cfcd8f9f9287a89e4a.jpg

One half of last year's dominant team in ICW, Polo Promotions with Mark Coffey, Jackie Polo has been overlooked as a singles competitor but nonetheless captured the Target Heavyweight title late in 2016. Part of the set-up at Mikey Whipwreck's Source training school. Highlight of 2016 has to be wrestling the Dudley Boyz at Fear & Loathing.

UKFF says: Not a word....

Linus says: This is becoming a bit of a broken record, but Jackie is another I've not seen in the last 12 months because he rarely ventures outside Scotland. Polo Promotions did have a great series of matches on the last ICW UK tour, I'm told, and he's on my list to check out during his singles run in Target. With Mark Coffey teaming with his brother Joe for ITV, singles may be his future.

• Paid Members

No. 37 - Jack Sexsmith

Twitter: @TheJackSexsmith

Entrance theme: “I Touch Myself” by The Divinyls

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

PROGRESS in London & Manchester... GOOD Wrestling in Wolverton

jacksexsmith4.jpg

First year on the list for someone with less than two-years' experience, this ProJo graduate is growing into more than just a bawdy comedy act. Widened his net in 2016 with appearances for Pro-Wrestling Legion in Chester, GOOD Wrestling in Wolverton, and Tidal Championship Wrestling in Leeds. Missed out on PROGRESS's big day at the Brixton Academy but is becoming a fundamental part of their shows.

UKFF says: “After experiencing a lot of Jack this year, I think he is one of the best comedy wrestlers in the world.”

Linus says: I love Jack Sexsmith. He is one of those rare talents that can take a crowd of non-fans and those reluctant to make noise and really lift them into participating in the show. Is developing as a wrestler with more outings and can reach the upper echelon given time to grow.

• Paid Members

No. 36 - "Number One" Damian Dunne

(aka Chief Deputy Dunne)

Twitter: @Number1Dunne

Entrance theme: “Who Gon’ Stop Me?” by Jay-Z & Kanye West

UKFF UK50 History:

21st in 2014

Southside in middle England... ATTACK! in the south west... Kamikaze in Birmingham... PROGRESS in London & Manchester... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton... VII Pro-Wrestling in Telford... IPW:UK in Kent

damian-dunne-192437725554974798787952312

Eclipsed by the sudden success of his Dunne Brothers tag-team partner Pete, Damian has quietly chipped away this year, performing regularly as a top heel for Southside, ATTACK! and Kamikaze, as well as consistent appearances for a handful of smaller promotions. Held tag-team gold in Southside & Kamikaze this year, and the TTACK! 24/7 title to boot.

UKFF says: “You almost feel a bit bad for Damian. He took Pete under his wing, let him use his name and now Pete’s off being Progress champ and working the WWE UK tournament whilst Damian’s working in an office somewhere. Arguably as good a worker but definitely a far better promo than Pete, he’s carried the heel faction, Anti-Fun Police, in Attack! for the last couple of years and had a cracking bout for title against Eddie Dennis last weekend.”

Linus says: Damian is a perfect heel for opponents in his weight-class, acting as a base for their more aerial styles, as well as being a bump machine for bigger foes. He ended the year with two outstanding performances in two nights for ATTACK!, and while his name may not be the first to excite you on a card, his presence is an assurance that there'll be at least one good match.

• Paid Members

No. 35 - Kay Lee Ray

Twitter: @Kay_Lee_Ray

Entrance theme: “War Boy” by Chris Mitchell

UKFF UK50 History:

23rd in 2014... 32nd in 2013

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Southside in middle England... Pro-Wrestling EVE in London... Bellatrix in Norwich... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton

KayLeeRay2.png

Vying for top women's talent in the UK with Nixon Newell & Toni Storm, KLR had a sensational 2016, with visits overseas for Stardom & Shimmer, and the capture of the ICW Women's title in front of 6000 at Fear & Loathing IX. Impressive in PROGRESS & Southside, and in intergender matches for Fight Club: PRO & ICW.

UKFF says: Nothing, sorry!

Linus says: Almost a complete article, KLR pops a crowd wherever she appears. Like the best women wrestlers, she is equally comfortable fighting men and women, and brings a different flavour to women's and intergender matches, switching from favourite to underdog when needed. If she's not in NXT by the end of the year, something has gone wrong.

• Paid Members

No. 34 - Joey Hayes

Twitter: @TheJoeyHayes

Entrance theme: “I Am The Walrus” by Oasis

UKFF UK50 History:

42nd in 2014... 10th in 2013... 15th in 2012... 14th in 2011... 10th in 2010... 9th in 2009... 5th in 2008... 39th in 2007... 47th in 2005

PCW in Lancashire... FutureShock in Manchester... Grand Pro-Wrestling in Wigan... Alpha-Omega in Morecambe

Joey%20Hayesjoey.png

Came through an injury-hit year to end 2016 as PCW tag-team champion, with Martin Kirby. Getting to the veteran stage of his career now, but still very much in demand across the northern indies. One half of The Models - with Danny Hope - who hold the Britannia tag-team titles and were FutureShock tag champs before being dethroned in 2016.

UKFF says: “Testament to his (for the UK scene at least) comfort and comedic ability on the mic that he makes this top 50, as injury and subsequent operation have meant he has spent most the time finding creative ways to not really wrestle.”

“Spent much of 2016 either on the shelf or half off it thanks to a torn pectoral. Clearly having the time of his life in PCW alongside Martin Kirby. Walked back into FutureShock alongside Danny Hope like he owned the place and showed incredible depth in an emotionally fraught and intense feud with Wonderland that eventually led to the Models going their own way. A veteran that's been part of the ciruit through the bleak years, when he gets his chance to shine he will shine hard. We'll see him better than ever next year.”

Linus says: Joey is another I failed to see in 2016 but he was on a list of those I wanted to! While "fun" wrestling isn't to everyone's tastes, Joey makes that his business and he's one of the best at doing it - his teaming with Martin Kirby is a natural pair that I can't wait to see in 2017.

• Paid Members

No. 33 - Lionheart

Twitter: @LionheartUK

Entrance theme: "What's Up Now" by Scary Kids Scaring Kids

UKFF UK50 History:

40th in 2013... 11th in 2012... 17th in 2011... 11th in 2010... 15th in 2009... 17th in 2008... 21st in 2007

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... PCW in Lancashire... Glasgow Pro-Wrestling Asylum... Premier British Wrestling in west Scotland... NGW in Yorkshire

04-08-13_17-30lionheart.jpg

2016 was a strong comeback year after a serious neck injury suffered from taking AJ Styles's Styles Clash. Picked up where he left off and soon discarded any sympathy from the injury to settle back into his heeling ways. Part of the set-up at the Glasgow Pro-Wrestling Asylum, helping train the next generation of ICW talent. Was part of the big Fear & Loathing event at the Hydro and took on The Ryback on his recent Uk tour.

UKFF says: They didn't.

Linus says: Yet another that I rarely, if ever, get to see, but Lionheart keeps on going when others might have given up. A strong natural heel, his promos have told stories that weaker voices may have struggled with.

• Paid Members

No. 32 - Josh Bodom

Twitter: @JoshBodom

Entrance theme: “Amazing” by Kanye West

UKFF UK50 History:

30th in 2014... 49th in 2012

RevPro in London (and the south east)... Fight!Nation across the south coast... UPW in Weymouth

joshbodom.jpg

Graduated from the FutureShock Academy in 2011 but has spent the latter part of his career down south, closer to his Bournemouth base. Had some big matches this year for RevPro, beating Donovan Dijak, Chris Hero & Tomoaki Honma but also running foul of some disciplinary issues, thankfully settled. Made his ICW debut on their recent tour.

UKFF says: “I love seeing this twat get battered. The perfect opponent for NJPW imports.”

Linus says: The ultimate marmite wrestler, Josh has his fans but not too many of them. That's fine, because he turns that genuine dislike into heel heat in a way that some others struggle to do. Heavily pushed by RevPro, in my opinion Josh needs to work more - and in more places - to step up to that next level, which is he eminently capable of doing.

• Paid Members

No. 31 - "Local Hero" Joe Hendry

Twitter: @JoeSHendry

Entrance theme: Well, that’s a thing...  :) 

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... WCPW nationwide... PCW in Lancashire... NGW in Yorkshire... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Discovery in Edinburgh

JoeHendry2.png

Hendry – who worked the opener at ICW's Fear & Loathing show in front of 6000 people in November - records his own theme music, often producing custom pieces for big matches. Appeared on Ring of Honor's UK tour in November and travelled to Canada to compete for SMASH Wrestling. A strong part of WCPW's UK roster, and used widely across the north of England and in Scotland.

UKFF says: “Continued impressive entrances, good promo, and tremendous work ethic.”

Linus says: Guess what? Yeah, I haven't seen anything of Joe in 2016 but that's to my eternal regret. He's an undoubted talent who has that little something extra to turn him from a solid hand into a star. That ROH were interested in him speaks volumes, and his star will rise quickly in 2017.

Archived