UFC on FOX: Shevchenko vs Pena - Jan 28

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So then, we might finally have a new face at Heavyweight to get excited about. This was my first proper exposure to Ngannou, and he did the business. The only issue was who he was fighting. Arlovski is a name, but as we've established on here, his comeback in the UFC has been a lot of smoke and mirrors. Beating him at this time doesn't mean that much. I really like Andrei, but each time he exchanges with another Heavyweight, I half expect it to end with him on his arse.

I saw tonight as a step in the right direction for Ngannou, and the ideal fight to showcase him to the wider audience. I'm not quite on the hype train yet, but my ticket is booked.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They're doing right by Ngannou. They clearly are readying the machine to throw some major hype his way and feeding him Arlovski while Arlovski's still semi-relevant is the way to go. It's a KO highlight against a recognisable face they can stick in video packages.

Anyway, I was very impressed with Sheva. No idea if she can beat Nunes, but she certainly looks a better version of the one that last fought her.

Cowboy couldn't get anything going and was a bit awful.

• Paid Members

Shevchenko's armbar was so satisfying to watch. Pena talked a good game then as soon as the fight started she was looking to win by doing the absolute bare minimum in the most dull way possible. As Bruce Lee said "the art of fighting without fighting". She was looking to Jake Shields the fuck out of it. So when she finally got Shevchenko down, only for Shevchenko to catch her in a textbook armbar from the bottom, it was beautiful. Excellent win for Shevchenko. She was the better striker going in, and it was thought that if she could nullify Pena's grappling she could win. But she went and did one better and beat the grappler with grappling. Lovely.

Really looking forward to Nunes vs Shevchenko 2. And I enjoyed their little moment in the cage post-fight. It's not going to be a box office smash but who cares? It's the most interesting fight in the division at the moment and Shevchenko, IMO, is the trickiest challenger out there for Nunes right now.

Shevchenko busting out the moves at the end there as well. I don't know what that dance was but she was having a whale of a time, wasn't she?

Ngannou passed the test. He's still got harder tests to come but I'd say he's the brightest prospect to come along at heavyweight in years. Probably since JDS back in 2008, to be honest. He's a finisher, he looks awesome and he's definitely got an aura and presence about him. Like Jim said, Arlovski has his faults but if you're not good Arlovski will find you out. Say what you want about Arlovski but he doesn't lose to bums. Even in 2017, if you beat Andrei Arlovski you're at least worth keeping an eye on. And Ngannou smashed him quick. Be interesting to see who they match him up with next because a win over Arlovski means he's probably going to be in with a top guy next time.

Masvidal had the probably the best performance and biggest name win of his career last night. I don't know if Cerrone was off or Masvidal was just really, really on. But no mistake that was a huge win for Masvidal. Cerrone was on a real hot streak since jumping up to welterweight plus it was in Cowboy's backyard in Denver plus Cowboy was ranked #5 going in. Massive. That should bag Masvidal a contenders fight really. I still don't like the prick and watching his post fight celebration made me a bit nauseous, but fair's fair. He's fully deserving of a title eliminator after that.

I'd still book Cerrone vs Lawler next. Fuck it. Both coming off a KO loss now. Why not? Actually, with Lawler in attendance last night it makes me wonder where they going to do something if Cerrone beat Masvidal? You know how Cerrone likes a quick turnaround. If Cerrone would've won and got out relatively fresh last night, I wouldn't have been surprised if he called out Lawler for UFC 209. Oh well. Still hoping the fight happens this year. Masvidal vs Lawler is another option but I think Cowboy vs Lawler actually makes more sense now with them both coming off a loss. Maybe they do Masvidal vs Maia to determine the nailed on top contender for the Woodley-Wonderboy 2 winner?

Jason Knight looked fantastic in stopping Bruce Leroy. This was a bit of a breakout performance for him with it being on Big FOX and against a fairly well known name. Caceres went five rounds with Yair Rodriguez so Knight finishing him decisively was impressive. It came at a good time as well because I thought the prelims were a tad flat. This fight was just what the doctor ordered to kick off the main card. Liked Knight's callout of the Korean Superboy. I'm on board with that. His in cage praying, not so much.

Prelims were hit and miss really. Alvey vs Marquardt was decent. Assuncao vs Sterling was a bit shit though, I thought. Really disappointed in that. There's always the risk when you get two guys who are predominantly grapplers, that they decide to just engage in a subpar kickboxing match. I didn't enjoy it. The Jingliang KO was good, as was the Spicely triangle finish. The prelims weren't bad actually. Just nothing really stood out much.

This show did its job though. We come out of this one with a number one contender set in Valentina Shevchenko. A new face in the welterweight title mix in Jorge Masvidal. An exciting new heavyweight in Francis Ngannou. And the potential of seeing that Jason Knight vs Korean Superboy fight doesn't upset me either. All good.

• Paid Members

What was that corner man on about in the Marquadt fight? Something about Hesitation. He explained it to Marquadt in a really strange svengali delivery. I was half expecting Bisping to jump in with an expletive.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah I forgot about that! Trevor Wittman is his name. Him and Greg Jackson both do that type of shit in the corner. Proper twats.

Even Marquadt seemed to be like "Huh!?". Witman had to repeat himself. Really strange.

It doesn't matter now but did anybody else think Herb Dean bottled the stoppage at end of round 1 in the Cerrone/Masvidal fight?

It looked like he jumped in before the buzzer (cause Donald was finished).

Definitely bottled it! Dana even said he called back to the production truck to check and they told him the round hadn't finished.

You could tell Cerrone was out of it during the interval, shouldn't have been allowed to continue.

• Paid Members

Kinda felt uncomfortable watching his team in the interval. Wonder what it would take for them not to send him out.

Doctors test just before round 2 didn't seem much either (took 2 steps forward) and was given the green light. 

• Paid Members

Rothwell would work. He'd be a logical next step for Ngannou and on paper should be a tougher test as he's durable, has KO power, submission skills and is fucking huge. If Ngannou blasted through someone like Rothwell it's really time to start getting excited.

Thought the Jingliang - Nash scrap was great fun. Then the main card was really good.  

Knight is good. Very good.  I think he could become a bit of a cult hero that they could market-  he looks like he's been brought in from a shelter but he's likable. 

Don't care too much for the Donald so didn't mind that fight. Hoping for big things from Ngannou too.

Herb Dean is a fucking disgrace to be honest. Makes more mistakes than Mike Dean. 

Archived