UFC on FOX: Shevchenko vs Pena - Jan 28

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah I probably was a bit harsh. It's just the manner of the beatings that stick in mind. Holm is a kickboxer and Nunes is a beast so fair dos. It just seems that the first big jab rolls the old eyes back in her head and it's more her legs that don't want to give out leaving her open to more barrage. I still think it's a 'little' questionable though.

I think maybe a factor that makes people question Ronda's early armbar demolition jobs is that Kaufmann and Davis (I think those two yes?) and arguably Carmouche turned out to be pretty much shit/non-entities after those losses too, with only Sara McMann starting to gain some traction now (certainly much improved last time, but again it was against Alexis Davis who'd just had a baby unless i'm mistaken). This is not my view of course. That was just the standard of the competition at the time and they are all perfectly legitimate victories in dominant fashion.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Actually, fuck all this noise. How quick do we think Ngannou is going to flatten Arlovski?

I know Ngannou is unproven and this is his first real test, but I've got a feeling they're going to be sweeping the remains of Arlovski up with a dustpan and brush after this one. Just can't shake it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Travis Browne fight has been undoubtedly the high point of this UFC stint for Arlovski.

I remember we were all pleasantly surprised when Arlovski returned to the UFC and went 4-0 in his first four fights back. But when you look back on those four wins, they're not so impressive.

1) He squeaked a decision over a Brendan Schaub who was one fight away from retirement. And I actually had Schaub winning that fight.

2) Then he KO'd Bigfoot Silva who's been fucked since the war with Mark Hunt.

3) Then he KO'd Travis Browne in an amazing one rounder. This was definitely his best win but even this, Browne has been massively inconsistent since saddling himself with Shithead Edmond.

4) Stunk the joint out in a decision over a shot Frank Mir in probably the worst fight of 2015.

He's gone 0-3 since then. Granted they were all losses to good fighters - Overeem, Miocic, Barnett - and the Barnett fight was tremendous. He's still fun to watch and dangerous with it. But I'm not sure I fancy his chances against the younger fresher heavyweights like Ngannou at this stage of the game.

• Paid Members

yeh, the Arlovski bubble burst pretty quick. It was great whilst it lasted though and i'd have loved to have seen him get a title shot in that time. Arlovski has over-achieved since coming back though, if you think of the position that he was in a few years ago, people would have laughed if you'd said he'd deserve another run at the UFC. Heavyweights never die!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just watched Valentina Shevchenko vs Amanda Nunes from UFC 196 for the first time since it aired live. I didn't remember much of it because it just so happened that Nate Diaz handed Conor McGregor his lone UFC loss the same night, which kind of wiped the undercard from the memory at the time. Good fight though. Nunes looked her usual beast-like self early on but Shevchenko was tough enough and experienced enough a striker to get through it. The second round was fucking brutal with Nunes busting her up with ground and pound and almost locking in a rear naked choke. But despite all that Shevchenko survived, escaped the choke and rallied back to win the third round, even seeming to stun Nunes with a few strikes. Of all Nunes' career wins, Shevchenko is the only woman she couldn't finish.

I hope Shevchenko beats Pena impressively next week because I really want to see a rematch with Nunes over five rounds. Nunes was noticably slowing down by the third round so if Shevchenko can take her into deep water again I think the championship rounds could get very interesting. Pena would be a fresh challenger but I think Nunes vs Shevchenko 2 over five rounds is a way more intriguing fight.

• Paid Members

If there is one weakness in the Nunes game, it's maybe that she seems to fade after 2 rounds. Granted, she's one went 3 rounds twice and is 1-1, but it will be interesting to see what happens with her should she make it into the championship rounds. Good luck getting there, mind.

As an aside, that's another winner of a sig, wand. What a pair.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I was very fond of my Goldberg/Rogan/Rashad Star Trek sig, but I stumbled across that picture and I had to have it. Who is Yoel's translator? I've been quite fascinated by him ever since UFC 205. He looks like a cross between Shawn Michaels and Don Callis. But with a man bun and with the aura of a henchman from Scarface or something. He's brilliant. Here he is training with Yoel, he's surprisingly in shape considering he's no spring chicken...

IECrf.jpg

An enigma. I can't even find the cunt's name. These two are my favourite tag team in MMA. Dodgy as fuck, the pair of them. But I don't care.

• Paid Members

This is tonight then. Completely overlooked this card really. Forgot it was even happening tonight until I noticed Road To The Octagon sitting in my planner last night. Think I'll give that a watch in a bit.

Gone with Shevchenko on points, Cowboy on points and Ngannou by KO in the poll. Main event is tied at 7-7 at the moment.

Can see Shevchenko just outworking Pena, providing she has an answer for the grappling. She's been in with better opposition overall, having beat Holly Holm, taken Amanda Nunes the distance and beat Joanna Jedrzejczyk three times in kickboxing fights. Pena has that win over Zingano but I don't know what it is about her, I'm still not fully convinced. Shev's got way more fights under her belt overall when you factor in her kickboxing career and she's gone five rounds at a solid pace with Holm. Pena's talented but still fairly green and she's never gone past three rounds. Just got a feeling she's going to struggle.

Cowboy vs Masvidal is a shot in the dark. I could easily see Masvidal taking a decision, to be honest. Especially if Cerrone can't build up a lead and some momentum early. But I'm liking Cerrone so far at 170 and I think he probably has a strong start here. Hopefully long enough to get two rounds in the bag. Then I'm hoping the UFC can set up Cerrone vs Lawler.

And I keep saying it, he's untested and it goes against my own logic with my main event prediction. But based on nothing but a gut feeling I'm expecting Ngannou to arrive as a player tonight and win via crushing first round knockout. Arlovski is nobody to play with and you can't sleep on his power. But I've got a feeling Ngannou is just going to be too quick on the draw for him tonight and he'll get there first.

• Paid Members

Been lots of people talking Ngannou up this week. Dana White saying he has the potential to win the belt and hold it for a very long time, can't help but feel people are getting a bit carried away with themselves but he is one of the more exciting heavyweights to arrive in a while. Arlovski is in trouble.

Ive gone with my man Jorge Masvidal in my acca.

Archived