UFC Fight Night: Rodriguez vs Penn - Jan 15

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

A Penn win does nothing for me. Hopefully Yair retires him via brutal headkick.  

Ditto - always hated Penn. Hope he gets battered.

Edit: okay, "battered" is too harsh. I hope he loses. He's a smug prick. "To the death, Georges" *quits on the stool*

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Felt sorry for BJ. He was totally outclassed and was like a stationery target for Yair. I think it's definitely time for BJ Penn to hang up his gloves and call it a day. He exited the Octagon without being interviewed, I expected him to announce his retirement. If he continues he's just fooling himself. I don't get the hate for BJ, arrogance and braggadocio are part of the fight game and Penn was one of my favourites back in the day. But it's time for him to call him quits. It's embarrassing if he keeps going into fights believing he's going to win when realistically he has no chance. Unless he goes to Bellator and fights some undercard guys I think it's best for him to retire. No sense in him keep going on now. Maybe transition into training young fighters if he wants to keep part of the MMA world.

• Paid Members

I think if UFC and BJ are going to continue to do business together they need to be realistic. I understand throwing BJ to the wolves goes someway in elevating a fighter like Yair, but there needs to be a level with which he's in there against. If not, the best thing to do is call it time, as BJ is just a punch bag against the top fighters, these days.

• Paid Members

I don't see UFC putting Penn back in the octagon after that. Pretty much from the get go he just looked out of place and out of touch. Genuinely found it sad to watch and was glad when it got called off.

The last Edgar fight already told us all that - so not sure what the point of this fight was.

I wonder whether UFC should have like a Legends division where the 35+ year old fighters fight so they are more evenly matched. I see no point in BJ being put up against a younger fighter again and just get beat so easily. But again it could turn into sideshow attraction type scenario where the UFC brings out the older guys who have no place in the Octagon now but want one last payday. Really when a fighter is past their best its time for them to hang it up, otherwise there is a ton of health risk(s) involved.

I wonder whether UFC should have like a Legends division where the 35+ year old fighters fight so they are more evenly matched. I see no point in BJ being put up against a younger fighter again and just get beat so easily. But again it could turn into sideshow attraction type scenario where the UFC brings out the older guys who have no place in the Octagon now but want one last payday. Really when a fighter is past their best its time for them to hang it up, otherwise there is a ton of health risk(s) involved.

Wasn't this heavily rumoured to be happening several years back? I seem to remember a lot of hype around it being centered on Couture?

I doubt it was rumoured more than some posts wanting it on message boards, most of the true legends are at vastly different weight classes or are years removed from fighting, who would BJ fight? There's Matt Hughes again at a push, Urijah Faber but he is still a top 10 guy in his division and could come back if he wanted too. Age is just a number as well, Yoel Romero is just shy of 40, he would maul guys like Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin, Werdum and a few other top heavyweights are the wrong side of 30.

You could maybe have fun older guy fights but certainly no division, Bellator is kind of doing it now..

• Paid Members

BJ won't retire off that. He should, but he won't. At this point I think he could get run over by a truck, dragged down the street through dog shit and all sorts, shredded up by gravel and left unconscious... and still he'd wake up in the hospital and say it was an early stoppage. He's delusional. He was incredible in his day but his day was about 2009. This should've been a passing of the torch moment where the young lion twats the old lion and the old lion steps aside. But I'm fully expecting BJ to be back in six months announcing his move up to middleweight to fight Yoel Romero or some equally mad suicide mission. It'll never end.

Can't even really read much into Yair's performance either off that win. Yeah he looked great but BJ was a sitting duck after the first couple of exchanges and from there it was just target practice for Rodriguez. This was a big name win for Yair to raise his profile and put a legend on his highlight reel. Now it's time to see him fight one of the top ten. Yair vs Cub Swanson wouldn't offend me one bit.

Rest of the card wasn't much cop from what I saw. Nothing terrible, nothing amazing. Oliynyk's Ezekiel choke finish was cool. His striking is awful though. Mendes vs Saenz was good. Lauzon was all class post-fight as always, saying Held should've got the decision. Oh and once again I really enjoyed Cormier on commentary.

The problem with B.J is that he feels that he should have been the greatest fighter who ever lived. He even referenced this on a countdown show back when he was Lightweight kingpin. I don't think he's ever fully admitted that it was never meant to be for him - hence why we have to endure these doomed attempts at a comeback. 

I can see why to an extent. There was once a time where Penn could have become the best MMA fighter of all-time. Instead as the 00's rolled on, he got caught out too many times. GSP and Anderson had much more consistent runs on top, and Penn was reduced to being a great fighter, but certainly not the great fighter. This wasn't because he didn't have the tools, it was more that he didn't choose to use them properly.

Watching him take apart a much bigger man in Hughes to win the Welterweight title in 2004 was the stuff of legends. Hughes was beaten on pure skill and talent that night - nothing else. However, while there should have been more nights for him like this, he instead let his ego get in the way of things. He thought his reputation proceeded him, and bought into his own hype. His ego was that big in 2005 that he offered to fight Arlovski at Heavyweight. Now there is a certain charm to this, but it's farcical stuff. His ego was present elsewhere, as he relied on his skill, and neglected to apply himself properly during stages of his career. He also had the tendency to fold in fights when they were not going his way. 

Lighter weight fighters usually have a short shelf-life in MMA. Time was always going to be limited for Penn to carve his legacy. The stars aligned on enough occasions for him to make his mark. His run as Lightweight Champion from 2008-2010 was exceptional. But still, his legacy will be that of what could have been, and underachievement. What he became as a fighter was something quite special. What he could have become was something much more. What he has become is a fighter who is trying and failing to turn the clock back - to a time where it was possible to get things just right. 

Archived