UFC Fight Night: Rodriguez vs Penn - Jan 15

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

it probably didn't take some kind of a fight analytical genius to predict it, but the fight played out exactly as expected. BJ came out fired up, looked the part and a tiny part of started to believe...then it started and it was obvious within a minute how it was gonna go.

If the goal was to get eyes on Yair Rodriguez the UFC probably succeeded, but they must have really been hoping BJ would go on some kind of fairytale twilight career run. Why they picked Yair Rodriguez as an opponent i'll never know. There's fair chance that a 2009 BJ (if at 145) would get schooled by Yair Rodriguez, just a bad stylistic matchup for him. BJ predictably went into his shell early and was a sitting duck for 5 minutes.

I think his coaches have to take some blame, they should have stopped it after the first and maybe tried talking to him and kept him away from strikers maybe a BJJ or Wrestler guy if they thought he was looking slow.

Rodriguez looked good and his kicks looked as fast as most guys punches but maybe that was BJ being sliw, he looked much better than his last fight.

I thought Marcin Held won and I'm glad Joe Lauzon thought the same but the new rule DC didn't really explain is that you can have top control for most of a round but still lose the round if the guy is close to a win by strikes or a submission, that was true in the first round and they may have thought the same in the round Joe nearly caught him in a leg lock but Held mainly out struck him in the last two rounds and out grappled him in all 3.

Just watched the card. Really enjoyed it up until the last couple of fights. 

-The Ezekiel Choke is a crazy move. Oleinik has won fights with it 10 times! 

-Walt Harris was on point, Chase Sherman did okay for himself too. I liked how the prelims highlighted a few potential heavyweight prospects.

-Nina Ansaroff had a career best night. I guess seeing your girl KO Ronda Rousey really is a motivational tool!

-Mendes vs. Saenz deserved FOTN, but Powell vs. Klose was fun too.

-Sergio Pettis came to play! This card won't go down as one of the best of the year, but fighters took the opportunity to make statements nonetheless.

-Marcin Held is looking like another Jon Fitch. The decision was a robbery in a way but I didn't mind. Lauzon with the elbows and submission attempts was actually trying to fight and finish, Held was riding the clock out without attempting to pass or go for subs, just doing enough pitter-patter to avoid being stood up. I'm all for more "robberies" if it makes these passive fighters wake up and actually attempt to finish a fight. I don't hate the ground game at all, people like Demian Maia and Gunnar Nelson are killers. It's wet blankets I can't stand.

-And the main event :( My heart said BJ, but I think my head always knew Yair would do something like that. Can't fault BJ either, he was fired up, had a better stance, in great shape, tough as hell, got in a couple of good shots... but Yair is a fucking buzzsaw. Thanks for the memories, BJ Penn.

Archived