Shit we probably won't do next year (the resolution thread)

Gus Mears

I need to cut down my weekday drinking. I don't drink loads, just a few bottled ales or three or four jack and cokes usually, but as it's freepour that's probably quadruples if you were going by pub measures so I should cut down a bit, not because i'm getting drunk and it's ruining my relationships with people just because it probably isn't doing me any favours physically and the cost adds up doesn't it. I should just say i'll not drink in the week at all but that's not happening so just "cut down" will suffice

I've decided I need to go to more gigs this year as I think I only went to five last year which is pathetic so i'm aiming on at least a gig a month (woo)

and just generally to try and have a slightly more positive attitude / outlook on life. it's sort of become my "thing" and become expected of me to be an arse and not accepting of new situations / people / places but I should probably try and be a bit... less of an arse. when I used to take loads of pills I was positive about everything, these days I assume everything is going to be shit, avoid meeting new people, avoid going places if they don't sell beer I like, avoid going to shops anything later than the minute they open, going to pubs that are busy... I should just try and cheer the fuck up a bit.

so nothing really measurable (apart from the gig thing) but at least that means it'll be harder to say that I failed.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On 30/12/2016 at 4:55 PM, Gus Mears said:

Here are my list of things I'll attempt to do.

Cutting down on booze massively to avoid my liver turning into jelly. NO

Hitting the gym again, as my metabolism is slowly going "fuck that" at my predilection with tasty meat (Williams.gif) YES

Go out with someone who isn't a hot mess with drug problems. NO

Continue to immerse myself in a policy/politics job that I love. YES

Join a shit load of clubs/societies after I've moved back to Bath next week. I have no attention span, so having too much to do keeps away the boozing.YES

Continue to try and read at least a book a week.SOMEWHAT

Haven't done too badly, all things considered. So, it's that time again where we list a bunch of worthy things that we're unlikely to do. My resolutions for this year:

(Again) cutting down on booze.

Stop catastrophising everything

Continue to play music live

Write more

Do cricket this summer

• Paid Members

Yeah mate I hear you. I was more of a rollercoaster this last year in terms of things like drinking and food, fucked it up from about Oct onwards and put on about a stone, but in general I know what I need to do for this next year, not just saying it.

- Massive cut down on booze. I fucking love my ale and some of my best mates are brewers/work in the industry due to my family ties to brewing, so it’s going to be a bit hard. But yeah, it has to be done.

- More craft work, wood and metal based projects. I aim to have several items made to sell by end of Feb, and then will hopefully be making items to order. Looong term goal is for this to be my primary source of income. 

- Finish recording and mixing albums 3, 4 and 5. It’s been 2 years since I had this as a resolution.

- be a better dad. I think I’m canny good, I want to be better.

• Paid Members
On 30/12/2016 at 9:31 PM, PunkStep said:

The boring 'get in shape' one, although there's a slim chance I'm going to power through with it. I find the gym so tedious and there are so many cunts there too, I really need to up my willpower if I'm going to get on with it. I am cycling every day though, so maybe my resolution should be to become more nutritionally aware. Cut down on the size of my portions for a start, replace a few things here and there. If I do that and also start getting back to the gym regularly, I might start getting back into this wrestling malarkey.

Failed this 100%. Well I say that, I've been having healthier lunches at work (salads, couscous, tuna), still cycling to the train station every day and playing football every week.

I lost a little bit of noticeable weight leading up to the summer (I was working out at the outdoor gym in the local park every now and then, which helped) but put it back on in the autumn. Don't really care to be honest.

My resolution this year is to cut down on 'doing lunch' with workmates. Saves money and stops wasting food that I'd already bought into work that day. The cost of one working lunch in London can buy a new pair of jeans or something. Same with those tempting ham and cheese croissants from Eat.

• Paid Members

My goals for the year are, mainly, quit smoking and lose a few stone. Those were my goals last year and I put on weight and smoke even more than I did before! So I've got a couple vapes, and I got some gum, but already I'm about to ask ny lady to go get some smokes. I don't know what to do. Utter lack of willpower!

As far as weight loss goes, my leg isn't at 100% yet so I'm really limited. We're are changing our diet - our weekly shop this week was so much more expensive than our less healthy ones tended to be - and I think that'll be easier than quitting smoking. 

Other stuff is be more motivated and procrastinate less. I don't write enough, yet that is the career I'm looking toward. I just end up getting distracted by watching Netflix or playing video games or whatever. I think I might get back on Zoloft and Prozac, or something, as I think that has something to do with my motivation issues. 

Last year I drank alcohol maybe twice or three times. This year I'd like to make it zero. As far as drug use goes, taper down my Subutex use as planned. And try to go to social things without drugs. Whenever I'm at a party or whatever, I don't drink but I find it very hard to be in those situations sober. So I end up taking speed or whatever. So I want to try and cut that stuff out too. 

• Awards Moderator
On 30/12/2016 at 6:30 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

I'm going to start printing off more photos I've taken. I feel this is an achievable one.

I did this! Filled an entire photo album, but need to keep on with it.

For 2018, I’ll echo my one from last year for trying to avoid palm oil whenever possible, and add to it that I want to use less plastic - particularly single use stuff like bottles and straws. 

I’ve also been part of a messenger group for a few months where we throw about ideas for skits and sketches, but we’ve done nothing about any of them. I’d like to change that this year and actually do some writing.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I’ve also been part of a messenger group for a few months where we throw about ideas for skits and sketches, but we’ve done nothing about any of them. I’d like to change that this year and actually do some writing.

Good... and you bloody better.

Speaking of groups, I’ve brought a couple of groups to watch your improv now. One person recently asked me when you were going to make him laugh again.

Feel free to ask the group and get back to me... specific dates and venues would be beneficial.

On 12/31/2016 at 9:59 AM, SuperBacon said:

Start a Robert De Niro film based podcast. Write more articles for football websites as I've done fuck all this year.

Neither of those two, but I have just started writing a short film script and sent off some sample movie reviews for some writing experience, so that's something.

Like @SpursRiot2012 I want to stop smoking and bought some yesterday and said "That's it, last packet" and just know that as soon as something gets stressful, I'll go and buy some. So bloody expensive and I smoke cheap ones!

I also want to join a club or develop a hobby. Currently toying with joining the Chertsey Film Society. Pretty good programme as it goes.

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Good... and you bloody better.

Speaking of groups, I’ve brought a couple of groups to watch your improv now. One person recently asked me when you were going to make him laugh again.

Feel free to ask the group and get back to me... specific dates and venues would be beneficial.

And it is much appreciated!

Well, we’ll be back at the Bridge on Wednesday 7th Feb, and every first Wednesday of the month after that. 

(Unless he meant when was I going to make him laugh again because I’ve been unfunny the last few times and I need to improve, in which case... I’ll still say 7th Feb and hope I do!)

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Like @SpursRiot2012 I want to stop smoking and bought some yesterday and said "That's it, last packet" and just know that as soon as something gets stressful, I'll go and buy some. So bloody expensive and I smoke cheap ones!

For me, it's not even stressful situations. It's just the day to day stuff that goes well with a smoke. After a cup of coffee or a big meal or sex. I'm sure it's just the habit rather than nicotine actually adding anything to those experiences. But still, it's difficult. 

Are you using any nicotine replacement or anything?

7 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

For me, it's not even stressful situations. It's just the day to day stuff that goes well with a smoke. After a cup of coffee or a big meal or sex. I'm sure it's just the habit rather than nicotine actually adding anything to those experiences. But still, it's difficult. 

Are you using any nicotine replacement or anything?

As Meatloaf said, Two Out of Three Ain't Bad...

It's just habit with me. I have quit twice before without any assistance (once for a whole year), but I've got into really bad habits. Two before work. Getting to work early to make a coffee so I can go and have another one with it before work starts. Fag at start and end of breaks, just need to cut little things like that down to be honest. That's half the battle isn't it I reckon?

• Paid Members

Guess losing a few stone is a must, had a bp issue this year that finally showed me I’m getting older and need to look after myself

finish my ta course and get s job at my sons special needs school 

Try to enjoy life a bit more than I did this year

Try and see friends more rather than isolating myself 

Be less angry and stressy with people 

• Awards Moderator
On 02/01/2017 at 9:06 PM, Onyx2 said:

I echo Surf's sentiments, I want to do more of stuff I used to, plus lose some weight.

I've almost completely cut out Coke which has helped me go to the smallest size on my belt, but I need to just not have ice cream sitting around the house, because an open pot is an empty pot. I have a free gym at the office (for now) so I need to make the most of that.

Paradoxically I want to do more with food, in terms of podcasting and / or videos. I've worked my way through just about every excuse not to do these now.

Weight loss is ok. Not dramatic but about a stone over the year which is the right direction. Could be better though. 

Not really doing more stuff than I used to. I need to change jobs ASAP but that's more an imperative than a resolution. Beyond that I want to be more present and enjoying even the smallest of moments. 

Still the bloody podcast hasn't happened. Four years I've been putting that off. What's stopping me? 

Archived