Shit we probably won't do next year (the resolution thread)

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

The boring 'get in shape' one, although there's a slim chance I'm going to power through with it. I find the gym so tedious and there are so many cunts there too, I really need to up my willpower if I'm going to get on with it. I am cycling every day though, so maybe my resolution should be to become more nutritionally aware. Cut down on the size of my portions for a start, replace a few things here and there. If I do that and also start getting back to the gym regularly, I might start getting back into this wrestling malarkey.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get in a wrestling ring on a show. Spent ten years doing ring announcing/commentary/managing around the industry, but only ever got in the ring on a trainee show at the XWA Academy.

I'm in a great place career wise, I've sorted my relationship shit out, so it feels like now is a good time to go back to wrestling after three years away. Plus, it's motivated me to get my fat arse to the gym four times a week. Lost 13kg in the past few months and the trainer I've made friends with was commenting on how much better I look than when I started.

I'm 29 now, feels like it's now or never. Don't want it to replace my day job (I love it too much to walk away), but turning it into a part-time gig would really complete where I wanted to be in life by 30.

• Awards Moderator

Honestly? I need to pack in drinking during the week. Been struggling with a few things and I've been too reliant on it. I need to lose weight, I need to eat better (although I've started to sort that) and I need to actually do stuff of an evening. I work long hours but I've been using that as an excuse for laziness for way too long. Getting in at whatever time, sticking trackie bottoms on and sitting on my arse for the rest of the night is no way to live. I also need to have actual conversations with people after 6pm. I'm forever swerving calls as I can't face talking with people.

I'm not expecting miracles as I know myself too well, but I'm honestly going to try to limit the ale to weekends and go for a run at least twice a week. Doesn't sound like much, I know, but given the mess I am at the moment I'm taking it in small steps.

• Moderators

I uhh... I don't know. I am generally content - happily married, work is fine, etc. But I need some focus / drive towards a goal of some kind. I feel a need to achieve something, but I'm not really sure what. I don't want to do something for the sake of it or just because I've said I'll do it, but at the same time I've gotta try stuff to see what sticks.

So I guess my resolution is to just try more things out and see how I get on with them. Explore a bit. Probably spend less time gaming as well, that would be a good idea.

Get out of bed, if its anything like this year.

Yeah this

I wanna go to wrestling shows, see music and generally allow myself to enjoy more things. Healthwise I could do with more energy generally as I've got one of those "this cunt hardly eats" six packs. A bit of weight on + some definition and I could feel best I've felt. But with D-Pression, its about finding that balance. Gettin out of bed is the first step and one I need to work on conquering more often

• Paid Members

Start "training" again. I've no excuse got one half of the double garage kitted out with the necessary squat rack, Smith machine, bench and leg presses but they've seen use about twice in 2016. Due to 1) laziness and 2) job growing as and legs. I've dropped 3.5kg or so in weight through not training and eating rubbish.

Aches and pains aside I might stick it out 8 weeks then get bored of DOMS/high calorie intake.

The usual.

I set myself one physical goal a year - this year was to be able to do a five minute plank (which I can now do), by NYE next year I'm aiming to be able to do a one-armed push-up. For someone who was a bit of a wreck a couple of years ago, I find these easier to do than making massive changes to diet and exercise that I'll stick to for a few days.

Goals for 2017:

- Make sure my family are happy and looked after

- Lose a bit of weight. I've not podged up badly, but I've put on a few pounds as I've been indulging in my missus' pregnancy cravings. I think the term is "sympathy bump"

- Stop drinking as much. I'm not awful, but I'll usually drink beers most Saturdays without fail. Gonna try and stop doing it as frequently

- Stop smoking. I'll do a few when I've had a few drinks but I'd like to stop it altogether.

- Start driving. I was going to last year but had a suspected seizure which prevented me from doing so. Now it's been nearly a year I can finally crack on.

Never really had my own 'home' before. Had flats and houses that were places I lived, but were full of stuff I bought because I needed, not wanted, or were full of shite the other person I lived with bought. Just moved into a new place and want it to feel like a home by next Christmas. Nice pictures on the wall rather than Al Pacino canvases. A book shelf with books rather than empty cans.

Echoing Generator's thoughts with being a bit more responsible with the environment. Similarly, I'd like to get all meat from local butchers rather than supermarket meat that's full of more growth hormones than a 1980's WWF locker room.

Obviously keeping on top of the booze is a big one. That always goes hand in hand with cutting down/not smoking, and eating properly and exercising more (not to mention how much better it is for you wallet).

I mentioned this in the other thread but I feel like I've calmed down a lot and grown up in many ways through 2016, and in some ways haven't achieved much, but I'd like to start pushing myself to achieve more during 2017.

Need to make more of an effort socially again, I've spent a lot of time by myself this year and I've recently made a point of messaging/calling in to see old mates to arrange meeting up again with them in January.

I'll be hitting the late 20's point this year so my main priority is to start doing things with a longer-term plan and getting myself in a position where I can be happy approaching 30.

Stop drinking cans of coke and other diabetes inducing shite. I've managed to reign in my proper drinking from having 8/10 cans most nights and falling asleep bladdered a year or two ago, to 4 or 5 pints socially once a month currently which I'm happy enough with as I was going down a bad road at one stage. But this soft drink stuff is much harder to kick oddly enough.

Actually stick with a job for more than a few months. I've done loads of temporary jobs this year from tech support, post office sorting to working with UPS at Christmas and I really enjoyed the fact that however horrible the job was I knew I'd only have x amount of weeks left at it. I'm expecting to be called for a permanent/pensionable civil servant office job in the new year and I have to stick at it and make it a career as I can't fuck about aimlessly forever.

Oh and fitness related shite like being able to do more than 4 push ups consecutively etc.

I'm going to tell the lad upstairs to keep his shagging volume down a bit. I won't, because I'm far too timid, but I really really want to. It's the worst thing I've ever heard. My cousin was round with her nine year old daughter the other day. The kid heard it and asked what it was. The first thing I thought of was "the man upstairs hasn't been very well recently". I shouldn't have to live like this!

So yeah, I'm either going to tell him to belt up, or I'm going to find somewhere else to live. It's that bad.

Archived