Shit we probably won't do next year (the resolution thread)

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I've got a pretty dramatic one this year. My life has pretty much come to a standstill over the last couple of years. I can't shake the feeling that I've achieved nothing since graduating university and that my life is rapidly passing me by, not helped of course by subterranean self-esteem and frequent bouts of crippling depression . I've known for a while that I desperately need a change to kickstart things and 2018's the year I hope to do that.

So I've enrolled on a TEFL course. (That's Teach English As A Foreign Language). It's something I've long investigated and contemplated doing but I've never taken the plunge. Now I am. It'll take 6 months to complete and then -if I find I actually enjoy teaching of course - my basic plan is to head over to Spain and find work as an English teacher. I'm equal parts excited and terrified. Hell, maybe I'll chicken out or not enjoy the course or move over there and fail miserably at everything but I'm really enjoying being excited about something  and having a proper  goal to aim for for a change. In any event, I'm going to give 2018 a real go! 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year I set myself a goal to read more and ended up reading 53 books throughout the year which I'm quite pleased with. 

It's a goal I want to keep up with this year. Setting myself two additional goals this year; one is to make time to watch more wrestling and the other is to get fitter. I'm fast approaching 30 and am getting fatter and more unfit by the day so want to get in better shape throughout the year. 

• Paid Members
On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Essentially I want to get back into doing the stuff I used to do and don't anymore. In 2016 I didn't wrestle a single match, do a single round of fencing, do a single gig, a single photoshoot, have anything published or exhibited and I gained no qualifications or promotions. Aside from the baby arriving, 2016 consisted of a lot of fuck all.

I also piled the weight on, which has done my already buggered knees no favours. BMI says I'm around 40lbs overweight, so I need to drop around 25-30lbs allowing for me still having a bit of muscle mass left over. I'm also finding many of my clothes aren't fitting properly, which bothers me more than my legs disintegrating. I can't wear that T-shirt with a picture of me on it anymore as it stretches me to Warwick Davies-like proportions.

I really need to look seriously at the issue work. I don't earn enough where I am, there's fuck all progression available, and my pleb-level education limits my options.

Wow, this is depressing. It's almost a carbon copy of what I would have written today. That means I've wasted two years with absolutely fuck all to show for it.

I don't think my weight has increased much over the last year, but I'm still in the position where I'm storing clothes that I like but can't fit into. Getting into some kind of decent (or at least average) shape is going to be a priority this year. There's a chance I'll have to bust one the old singlets out in May (for something non-wrestling related) so at least there's some sort of vague goal. I know I drink way too much fizzy pop, so there's several hundred calories a day I can cut out straight away.

I think I need to be a bit more selfish in order to be proactive this year, and spend less time watching YouTube videos of people showing themselves up as stupid.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:14 PM, Harry Wiseau said:

I need to cut down my weekday drinking. I don't drink loads, just a few bottled ales or three or four jack and cokes usually, but as it's freepour that's probably quadruples if you were going by pub measures so I should cut down a bit, not because i'm getting drunk and it's ruining my relationships with people just because it probably isn't doing me any favours physically and the cost adds up doesn't it. I should just say i'll not drink in the week at all but that's not happening so just "cut down" will suffice NOPE, IF ANYHING I DRINK MORE ON A DAILY BASIS. NOT BEER THOUGH, JUST SPIRITS SO I CANT EVEN SAY HOW MUCH I DRINK A DAY BECAUSE THEY'RE FREEPOUR MEASURES

I've decided I need to go to more gigs this year as I think I only went to five last year which is pathetic so i'm aiming on at least a gig a month (woo) WENT TO ABOUT 12 GIGS BUT NOT ONE A MONTH

and just generally to try and have a slightly more positive attitude / outlook on life. it's sort of become my "thing" and become expected of me to be an arse and not accepting of new situations / people / places but I should probably try and be a bit... less of an arse. when I used to take loads of pills I was positive about everything, these days I assume everything is going to be shit, avoid meeting new people, avoid going places if they don't sell beer I like, avoid going to shops anything later than the minute they open, going to pubs that are busy... I should just try and cheer the fuck up a bit. NO IM STILL A MISERABLE FUCKER

so nothing really measurable (apart from the gig thing) but at least that means it'll be harder to say that I failed. OH I FAILED ALRIGHT

so a complete failure then. This year I REALLY need to cut down the amount I drink, i'm going to try and  do at least  two days a week without booze, preferably in a row.

And the gig thing, I'm really going to try and nail one a month this time

aside from that I just need to be a bit more positive generally, I'm getting old and i'm a miserable fucker in all regards, I look for the negatives in everything and overlook any positives, I really need to try to  change that

• Paid Members
On 01/01/2017 at 2:05 AM, Tommy! said:

2017 will be more basic, improve the language, work towards the next step up in my career when the time comes in 3 or 4 years (if not sooner), pick up keeping healthy (and drop the weight I've put on these last 3 months) and travel a little while I can. I've got my aim for 2020, so I'm working towards that in little chunks.

Well, my career got fucked because no one knew what I was paid to do and there were loads of insecure people desperately fearing for their spot which in truth I had no interest in. As a result my reputation is ruined and I've lost faith for the final time. 

Learning a new language did improve a bit, but I think I'll just give up on that now. 

I travelled while I could but after my dad killed himself all my free holiday time was spent back here, and the awful work environment sucked all the energy and enthusiasm from me for weekend get aways. 

My health isn't good, I'm carrying too much weight and my liver needs checking out when I get the courage to go to the doctors as my gamma gt was high, which is likely from being a fatty again. 

My focus has changed, it was my last shot at some sort of career, that's all I ever had and it's not going to happen. From now on I'm going to do what I can to help my mom now my dad's gone and try and set up my little garden again to spend my free time there. 

• Paid Members

I don't normally bother with resolutions, but I've set myself one goal for this year: get fit. Looking at my life as a whole, the biggest problems I have can mostly be dealt with if I address my health.

Definitely intend to do a fair bit of weigh training - I remember ShortOrderCook talking about how he loves feeling strong, and I have to echo that sentiment. The strongest I ever was physically was when I was doing wrestling training, working the camps as ring crew and so on. Felt great.

Also, because I want to keep challenging my body to get better, I intend to keep mixing it up every week, as far as finances will allow, so gym two or three days a week, the odd fencing or martial arts session, a bit of climbing/bouldering here and there, maybe some swimming or jogging.

Check back this time next year to see me double my beer-belly in my "After" photo where the fat bastard fighting to get out finally won.

Archived