Which of your favourite wrestlers looked best when...

Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

I mean..

Nakamura-King-599x370.png

Yeah, he looked a boss in that crown at WK9, but I see an excuse to talk about his entrance at WK8, so I'm gonna. WK8 was my favourite show ever for entrances and Shinsuke stole it.

So, Tanahashi is already waiting in the ring, having himself been played to the ring by Marty Friedman. Nakamura comes out with girls dancing around poles and pyro befitting the main event of the biggest show of the year. Honestly, Okada and Naito would have had no chance of following this pair. He isn't wearing his crown but nevertheless I think this entrance is the strongest I have ever felt "Here comes the MAIN EVENT" in my 20+ years watching wrestling, or at the very least, since Rock/Austin at Mania 17.

Nakamura looks such a beast pointing towards the ring with the girls surrounding him during his Engrish announcement, then just as Subconscious hits its reprise, he starts pimping his way down the ramp towards the ring. My excitement peaks as he gets into the ring and does his YEAOH pose as he gets his Japanese announcement. He was God to me in this moment.

Maybe its because it's the first Kingdom I watched live, and maybe it's the fact it was the two defining stars of the era (and my New Japan fandom to that point) but the combination of Subconscious playing, girls on poles, pyro and Shinsuke at his coke-addled Michael Jackson/M Bison lovechild best, I will remember this entrance until the day I die.

Thanks to New Japan World having all the Dome Jan 4th shows up for free on the march to WK11, you can all watch it too :

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00217_1_11/e/sp/1410

• 1 year later...

Not my favourite wrestler but Triple H went from troglodytic to reasonably handsome in the space of two years between 1998 and 2000. It's amazing what facial hair can do for a person.

Vince McMahon is an example of someone who looks way better as a grown adult than as a young man. He looks like a bird in all the 80's pictures I've seen of him but looks pretty sharp in his media appearances in roughly five years between 1997 and 2002.

So for Trips and Vince, I would say 2000 and 1999 are their best looks.

I thought Macho Man Randy Savage looked class in 1998, but he always looked pretty class.

• Paid Members

I loved the Warrior's look around and at 'Mania VII. From the Sensational Sherri promo when he had the Stars and Stripes leather jacket thing on to the gear he wore to the ring and during the retirement match was the quintessential late 80's/Early 90's pro wrestler look for me...

Saying that though Rick Rude had some cracking looks during his time. I can't decide which I like best, but it's a toss up between the tights with Jake Robert's bird on them or the ones with his name on the front and Warrior's face on his arse. 

• Paid Members

That’s interesting that, because as a kid, I really wanted a figure of him in the white tights instead. Granted, he looked more Native American in the trunks.

Here’s one for you, Rick Rude with his full on Keegan or with his Mercury?

When I was younger I was 100% behind the perm, but as I got older, it was more difficult to call. The Keegan tended to fit more with his sly, slinky character, and his Mercury made him look meaner. Even though he looked fucking ace in any of the tights he wore, it’s all about the hair and I can’t decide.

9E1EF233-C0DE-4AF2-8AEC-6FFEA67847F5.jpeg

9508C171-AD12-4807-8338-ED31EC76C90A.jpeg

• Paid Members

I worked with Tatanka a couple of years ago, and nothing in five years of working in wrestling has scared me more than him handing me his head-dress at the start of the match. I was just left gingerly holding it thinking, "what the fuck do I do this?", as visions of me somehow breaking it and having to answer to him rushed through my head.

For Rick Rude I'm all about the short hair - it makes him look meaner, and like he's taking things a little more seriously. The perm always seemed a bit too OTT, though perhaps by design. I find it harder to take permed Rick Rude seriously, while short-haired Rick Rude is all business.

I have a soft spot for him showing up in ECW wearing comfortable sweaters, though.

Archived