How was 2016 for you?

Gus Mears

If you think you'll ever collect the original Xbox then do it ASAP, prices are still low but are rising. I pretty much hate the retro collecting scene now, everyone knows the "worth" of games and there are vultures everywhere with rarer games just being hoarded to keep prices up. Some American had pallets of BNIB games he forgot about and has started to spread the rare ones out to some good people, it's lowering the value and annoying said hoarders.

I'm just glad games for old microcomputers are still worth fuck all, its so easy to get some classics to play.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For me, 2016 has been a really unproductive year.

On one hand, I had a son and I took part in the Sea of Hull event

Other than that, I've done bugger all. Working daft hours means I've not seen friends as much as usual or gone out, and just generally haven't done much other than watch TV, read and get fat.

• Awards Moderator

Been an odd one. Had a complete mental collapse in February/March which resulted in some pretty dark times. Started to make plans to do myself in but, for whatever reason, a couple of mates sensed something was up and dragged me out of the hole. From that point it was pretty great until the last month or so; incredible holiday to Toronto and another to Dublin, Bruce with Butch and Houchen was next level and despite the result, the FA Cup Final was one hell of a day.

Met a girl around the same time and we had 6 brilliant months. She knew I had a messed-up brain and not a thing was affected by it, and she made me feel a million dollars throughout. Nicest person I've ever met and she made a huge difference to my day-to-day life. She ended it about a month or so ago and whilst it broke my heart, I'm feeling more positive about life simply down to how she made me realise that I can have a relationship without my problems cocking things up.

Work's been good for the most part and we have big things planned for the new year, put politically I've never been angrier. Christ only knows where we as a country and a race will be in 12 months. Backwards doesn't cover it.

And don't mention Sam Allardyce.

At least Thatcher's still dead.

• Paid Members

Didn't know you'd had a rough year Frankie. You're honestly one of the good ones and I'm glad you've ended on a more positive note. Hope,however you spend it,you have a cracking Christmas and if you ever want it, I've got a pint on standby for you!

And my dad has toasted Thatchers death twice already and is still going strong.

Honestly? 2016 has been the worst year of my life.

Seperated from wife and moved out of family home in February. Briefly tried getting back together but it just can't work. Got made redundant twice in the space of 6 months, got told I have kidney problems, out of work for longest period I have ever been, Arsenal finished above Spurs again, utter utter wank. I'll be glad to see the back of it.

2017 can only be better with the exception of possibly getting divorced...

• Paid Members

2016 has been a mixed year for me.

January, I came home from work to find my mother in tears as my step dad had walked out on her completely out of the blue. He then barefaced lied to me that he had someone else, and there was a messy-ish divorce situation for a few months, including myself and mum needing to find a new house because the cunt wanted to sell it. So we moved to a shitty flat in April.

I was also still working at my first teaching job, and had a crappy Y11 class, a wonderful Y10 class and then some mediocre other classes. Was pretty depressed and hating it - applied for three jobs, got one interview, and got given the job in Banbury. Burst into tears when I got it because of the relief - four years of trying to get a job which would allow me to move in with my girfriend.

July - sadness when I left my old job (mainly my friends and some of the students), guilt for abandoning my ma to a shitty flat on her own, but euphoria at finally moving in with my girlfriend of six years.

September - happiness that my new job was pretty good, excitement after getting a great first observation and general happiness with my life. My mum also got the divorce finalised and found a part-buy house which she was able to pay for.

December - happiness that term was ending and it'd been successful, somewhat tempered by the fact last Sunday my girlfriend had to go to a&e in agony, leading to shades and concerns of the catastrophic APS that nearly killed her in 2014 - spent the last week juggling visiting her, making sure she got decent care (for the most part she did) and trying to organise what the fuck I was gonna do about Xmas. She was released yesterday, and she's gone to her parents whilst I've gone to my ma's for the next couple of days - she's getting better, and hopefully I will be spending New Year's at her parents.

2017 the plan is to get a deposit and buy a house, get a dog and cat, and generally enjoy domestic bliss. Positivity is the key!

• Paid Members

I went a bit funny again, sorted myself out (for the long haul this time, I'm sure), finally got my house just right then got a temporary job overseas and packed it all back up again.

I also cooked some amazing Chicken Marengo and amazing chocolate mousse with ganache top.

I didn't remember getting to even 1 uk wrestling show this year :(

• Paid Members

Mixed bag.

Work six's, I continue to fail upwards most recently receiving a promotion by proxy. Uni is going good, still right around that high 2:1-1st level.

I've fallen off the wagon a few times this year. I'm trying to deal with it. I think my girlfriend is sad a lot because I don't put enough effort into things. She takes it as an insult against her if I'd rather watch one of my shows on my laptop than watch any random movie with her. It's not. But I get why she feels that way. I need to make more effort

I need to make a lot of lifestyle changes but that's veering into "resolutions" territory so I'll leave that there.

Brexit was a massive blow to me and I still can't believe it's happening. And Trump was just the pickle on the Big Mac of shit.

Nah, fuck 2016.

• Paid Members

2016 will go down with me as the year Crohn's disease, which I've had for years, really took over my life to the point I've had to scale life back until I'm sorted out.

My Wrestlemania trip to Dallas was dominated by it, to the point I did hardly anything out there apart from the wrestling shows.

Then during the Progress Super Strong Style 16 tournament at the end of May, I had to leave during the second show and I spent the following 5 days in hospital, followed by 2 and a half months off work.

Since then, I've only been doing 5 hour days in what is supposed to be a full time job, thankfully work have been excellent with me, though since October I've only been paid for the hours I actually work.

However, I'm surviving on less money as socially, I have scaled back on going to wrestling shows, and only at venues that are easily reachable, and that I already know. I don't even think about going out on a day where I have work as I just don't have the energy.

Thankfully, it feels like I'm getting sorted out soon. In late August, my surgeon proposed that I should get a Colostomy, and after getting over the news that I needed life changing surgery, I agreed it was the best option when I saw him again in late November. I'm just waiting for dates now, which obviously I didn't want to be over Christmas.

Here's to 2017, hopefully the year I get my life back.

• Paid Members

2016 was the culmination of hard work that started in 2015. Successfully delivered a transformation project for the CS, got promoted and taken my 30 staff to heights no one believed they could reach.

Personally put the house on the market in November, celebrated another anniversary and slashed my golf HCP in my first full season.

Weird position to be in as most years I'm hoping for better so next few days I'll need to have a real think about what I want to achieve in the next 12 months and start preparing for the long hours that'll likely entail.

Not been in a gym in 11 months and have dropped all mass and down about 4 stone so I'm needing to really get in about training again.

Time will tell.

• Paid Members

Not a bad year really. Nothing really terrible happened. My sister got married and I gave her away which was nice.

The only downer is I am now working with possibly the stupidest person on the planet. Started off where she was just an amusing aside, but due to her constant talking absolute bollocks on a non-stop basis, I am going to either have to kill her or get transferred to another section. Some quotes:

Be careful of gnats, you can get aids from them.

There are so many Chinese people living in Beijing, it has sunk and is at risk of falling into the sea, so all the people from Beijing are moving to England so in two years time we will all be Chinese.

You should not swim near piers in North Wales as piranhas live there.

If muslims go to a cafe, all they can eat are cheese sandwiches.

If you mix normal coke with Diet Coke, you make petrol.

The list goes on.

• Paid Members

I've had a bit of a shit year but still better than 2015 where I had a complete breakdown, was off work for 3 months, couldn't face getting out of bed every day and didn't see the point of going on. 2016 was better health wise - I'm in a better place mentally, actually have a social life and lost almost 2st - but I've been made redundant twice and had a guy make my life hell for a few months. I'll be glad to see the back of this year to be honest.

My plans for 2017 include getting a new job (one I actually enjoy hopefully) and I have a great holiday to look forward to in May.

• Paid Members

Mixed picture.Politically it was a fucking disaster, not just Brexit but another term for complacent Labour running the Welsh Government.

Work has just coasted along, nothing notable really. But on a personal level, I had a fantastic and unforgettable three weeks in France watching Wales at Euro 2016, and finally bought a house with the girlfriend.

We got the keys last month but aren't planning to move in until February. I have much to look forward to (being skint and walking around DFS/Ikea mostly).

• Paid Members

Not a bad year really. Nothing really terrible happened. My sister got married and I gave her away which was nice.

The only downer is I am now working with possibly the stupidest person on the planet. Started off where she was just an amusing aside, but due to her constant talking absolute bollocks on a non-stop basis, I am going to either have to kill her or get transferred to another section. Some quotes:

Be careful of gnats, you can get aids from them.

There are so many Chinese people living in Beijing, it has sunk and is at risk of falling into the sea, so all the people from Beijing are moving to England so in two years time we will all be Chinese.

You should not swim near piers in North Wales as piranhas live there.

If muslims go to a cafe, all they can eat are cheese sandwiches.

If you mix normal coke with Diet Coke, you make petrol.

The list goes on.

Jesus wept.

Bought our first house, through our own effort, and a new car, which is incredibly materialistic but also incredibly rewarding.

Not too keen on my job at the moment, but unsure if I'll be able to move to a new area without taking a step down, which isn't an option. We'll see.

Politically the year was a shambles, and I still can't believe Prince is dead, but overall a notable, strong year.

Archived