How was 2016 for you?

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Shit.

I've cleaned up now and I'm working again and relatively sober and "Dirty but clean" in regards to the other stuff.

I remember you mentioning how shit things had been earlier in the year Keith, glad to hear you are getting shit sorted/on the mend.

Back to the topic, i've had a great year personally. Works going well, most creative year musically and hope to be releasing some stuff in the new year, brother got married, and most importantly I became a dad in the last month or so.

The shit things were related to the birth and my dad having a bit of a breakdown.

However, both have ended well.

In terms of 2016 outside of my bubble, I echo everyone else's sentiments. It's been horrid. I've also realised that average people are a lot stupider than I believed possible and they don't mind rapists and racists.

Wonderful.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a fab 2016 truth be told.

Started from changing my name from December last year and hasnt really stopped.

Highlights include

Helping Padiham flood victims as much like those above they were left to their own devices

Set up and ran a weekly soup kitchen in Burnley until the funding got pulled.

Helped homeless at three seperate events in Preston.

Trained to be a Samaritan, just waiting on Dbs..

Aside from that, fully transitioned early January, bagged myself a new steady job for the first time in three years, got put forward for two world records, which were declined as a first isnt a record. Did some more zombie movie shoots as well. Had a boudoir shoot done.

Finally bagged myself my own place, did two OCR's as me, met me mum and most of my mates as me, ticked off a few things from life, and even bagged myself a GF..

None to shabby.

Far cry from last November when homeless jobless and dumped by the ex fiancee and overdosing for a second time.

There's a lot to still do, money is still too shit, transition is fucking expensive, but that will come next year im sure, just have to keep plugging away.

Funniest moment of the year so far has to be all three of my ex fiancees falling pregnant and giving birth to babies with a partner called Andy (not the same one) I found it amusing.

Next year focus more job hunting hopefully getting proper hormones and finishing off change stuff like driving license and passport which have been a bugger to sort. And see where the journey goes

Xx

• Paid Members

Started from changing my name from December last year and hasnt really stopped.

Do you still open mail addressed to December, though?

In the outside world, it's obviously been a right bollock, but in my personal life things have generally been good. Happier at work, happier at home, less messed-up financially, it's just been a less nightmarish life this year.

• Paid Members

Yes, 2016 has been a Good Year.

I did go briefly mental in the summer when it became clear I'd missed out on a relationship I never thought was going to happen, but otherwise have managed to stay more or less unmental all year.

Brexit, which is completely awful obviously, actually gave me a 20% pay rise over night when the Pound collapsed against the Dollar, and has resolutely stayed in that position since. Every cloud.

Moved into my own place, which was initially terrifying but has turned out splendidly for me and the kids. The kids are all doing great, I've managed to not get fat as I expected when I moved and had to do my own cooking, and I won a couple of grand in the last couple of months on bet365.

8/10

• Moderators

Year was OK. Watched the Superbowl and Wrestlemania in Liverpool with Frankie, then us twos and Houchen had a great night at Bruce Springsteen. Looking forward to seeing tjem again this year.

My darts game has massively improved as well, entering some opens next year. The change to a 25g torpedo dart with an extra short carbon fibre stem and a grip factor of 2 under the scale used by Red Dragon has made a massive difference suiting my technique of floating rather than throwing darts, rather than my former parallel 27g, medium aluminum stems with knurled points and 4 Grip. I might go to a grip of 1 but atomised. I dunno.

My year was really good to be fair. I spent last year fucked out my face a fair bit, knocking back about a grand a week of cocaine and constantly having sex with random girls. It was pretty fun but quite soul destroying. Think I also knocked a few years off my overall life expectancy.

Then exactly one year ago today I went on a first date with my current girlfriend. She cleaned me up and got me back on track. We've done loads of cool shit together, including her getting to the final five of NYX UK Face Awards (big make up artist competition.)

I've managed to successfully run my tattoo studio and built it up to a really strong team of artists right now. It's fun being the boss. I've just arranged for us to have a feature arranged for everyone at the studio in Skin Deep Magazine, and I'm getting my first solo feature in Total Tattoo soon as well. Been a goal to have my name on a magazine cover so that's awesome

I worked London Tattoo Convention as well, which has been my number one goal since I started tattooing. It's one of the best conventions in the world and super exclusive. Fuck knows how I blagged my way in but I just went along with it and pretended I fit in with everyone else.

I met Lars Frederickson at a gig not long back, he is one of my heros. Friends on his personal secret Facebook and we follow each other on Instagram too, so I'm made up about that. My plan is to tattoo him then get him to sort out me tattooing CM Punk

I got to work for the real Kat Von D for a day. That was pretty sweet. Flying out to LA next year and might do a few days work at her studio High Voltage where LA Ink was filmed. Not sure about that just yet though.

I hit 66.6k followers on Instagram a while back. That was another goal I've been aiming for and hitting it was the best feeling. It's been going up quite quick lately because of an insane body suit I just completed. Had a girl fly from Arizona to get tattooed by me and we spent two days a week for five weeks doing a second body suit over her existing one. A lot of it is solid black but I'm really happy with how it came out. The picture where I blacked her arse crack went a bit viral.

My kid's Mom has stopped being a cunt (or at least she has stopped doing it directly to me.) Still get to have him three nights a week and things couldn't be better there.

So basically, this year I competed pretty much all of my goals so now I have to come up with new ones. Got a lot of cool shit in the works next year, exciting time to be alive. Considering the mess I was this time last year that's a pretty good turn around

• Paid Members

It's been positive mostly. Still with my partner, started writing again after about five years, the acting is picking up (to the point of taking a play to New York) next year and I starred in a music video.

On the other hand, lots of deaths were sad this year and I experienced more 'darkness' than usual, which I found concerning, but trying my best to keep the most positive outlook possible, as I've too many years isolating my mind and fearing the worst option in everything.

Thanks. Just doing what needed to be done as the local authorities were non existent. Left all the locals to get on with it.

Bicurious Dad, where do you live? Do we know each other?

Inverurie, and vaguely but not really.

The politics of this year have made we worried about what's coming next but apart from that I've had a pretty good year.

Part-time degree is almost done and has been reasonably ok over the course of the year, big workload but not so bad that I missed a deadline or anything.

My son is doing well at school and his football academy. He's also one of the most considerate kids I've ever met. Given that I've worked with kids for 16 years I know that his selflessness isn't that common.

Moved in with my partner and transition was seamless. We've been together 3 years, she's known my son for 2 and a bit and we spent a few months having sleepovers to get him ready for the switch. He's got a bed that has ring posts and ropes though so that helps!

Gave up refereeing because my mum was laid up with a bad knee for a bit and couldn't babysit for me to get to games. Could have gone back after a couple of months but enjoyed the extra family time and didn't miss the grief so gave up my badge.

Work is ok but I've long outgrown the place. Got a couple of things I want to achieve in the next few months before completing my degree and hopefully moving in to regulatory work. Have also started my own business after identifying a few gaps in the childcare training market so that's also opened up some other avenues for me.

• Paid Members

Relatively self evident.

This year was wank with a side of decent. I got a new job in January, went mental in February, spent the following six months attempting to stop being mental. Got a great new job which I love last month and went mental again in September after shagging my best friend and the ensuing hilarity of abortions, arguments and visceral hatred that resulted from it. I now can't drive a car for a while because of epilepsy which is crap. I went to Boston on holiday which was tremendous and ran some half marathons. I also drank too much. 

As both a politics dork and someone who works within that field, 2016 was the worst year of my life. I am relatively sure the arc of history bends towards progress, but it's the first time where I am uncertain if i will live to see much of it. I feel we have regressed massively as a society this year and 2017 will be worse as we usher in a disgusting human being as leader of the free world. I am more fervent than ever in my belief that the world would be a better place if the majority of us didn't exist. We're an appalling stain on the earth as a race and I would just as soon leave it to the cats and badgers and all that other shit in the wild.

Happy fucking New Year.

Personally this year has been good - but politically & overall, I gotta echo the sentiments above. As a species we've literally regressed - it can be pinpointed with tangible events. I'm genuinely worried for the world with that fucktard Trump at the helm of nuclear missiles. And closer to home how Brexit is going to fuck all of us economically.

People are stupid - we need to wipe out 4 billion or so - hit the reset button. 

Archived