Were you ever scared of the Warrior?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Inspired by this post in Off Topic.

I've got a wrestling related one - this intro to Superstars:

Absolutely fucking petrified me.

I was listening to Bix's retrospective podcast from when the Warrior died not to long ago, and something really stuck with me. When Warrior won the belt, they decided to tart him up a bit. Give him a traditional blonde mullet, make his face paint less all over the place. That was the era of the little Warrior logo on the cheek. Even started wearing bandanas and shit. This was done, because a lot of kids were shit scared of him. They even did that boarding on paedo skit with Amanda Warrior on the Brother Love Show where The Ultimate Hellwig spoke quite normal.

For the life of me I never knew this. I just assumed, like everyone, he began we aring different stuff. Is there anyone in wrestling you were scared of? Or just put off by? For example, Lex Luger's whole "USA, doing it for the boys back home" stuff never related to me and I always thought he was a bit of a dick even as a kid.

Only truly unnerved by the original Mankind character, which I wrote about here in August.

I've been put off by plenty along the lines of your Luger example, but I'd say that's a separate discussion really.

I had so many nightmares of the original Undertaker chasing me through a boiler room type place as a young lad, say from his debut in '91 until I realised what was what, it was the same dream every time, it was inspired by his slow methodical, stalking movement in a match. Like a Michael Myers type where no matter how quickly I ran he was still catching me up, then i'd wake up sweating just before he got me.

I was genuinely a bit haunted by The Great Muta when I first started watching NWA on ITV in 1989. There was one squash with (I think) Ranger Ross which he won with the Muta Lock that I can still picture now. I was really worried for Ranger's safety. It was something about the facepaint and the way he moved I think. Looking back, Muta really was something very very special.

Having Gary Hart - another unnerving character - there helped a lot too.

I wouldn't say I was scared of him as I was about 13 when he debuted but Kane really did look like something out of a horror film in his first couple of months

The close ups of the mask and the red lighting made him seem terrifying, especially quick cuts of him in promos, SS97 probably being the best example

But no, was never scared of Warrior

Not really. However, the Warrior, Shango angle with the black liquid running down his face did give me cause for concern (I was 10 at the time).

In related matter, I was on Holiday in Orlando and one night I dreamt that the Undertaker and Kane were chasing me around EPCOT Centre - it was around the time they were teaming up and doing the run ins on Raw and kicking the crap out of some jobbers, so I am guessing I watched Raw on USA Network before I went to bed!

I was a big fan of Warrior but the only time I ever got a little scared by him was that very dark almost heelish Crash The Plane promo he done on Hogan in the build up to Wrestlemania 6. For those who have never seen it, track it down on Youtube/Daily Motion, the whole tone from the  low haunting background music to Warrior switching constantly from a low growl to a very loud yell to the final snarl, is utterly terrifying and made you think this guy couldn't just beat Hulk but actually kill him

• Paid Members

Nope, not of Warrior, although there were 2 things thst freaked me out about him.

One being the nlack ink/sick Shango craic and the other being his mental 'Howk Hogan plane crash' promo. Both mentioned above.

Some good shouts regarding Nailz And Mankind in the boiler room.

Zeus messed with my mind in both the film and when he turned up with DiBiase.

The Earthquake montage of him squashing Hogan on brother love. The slow motion replays with the music was horrible.

• Paid Members

Giant Gonzalez.

As a 7 year old kid when he debuted at Rumble 1993 I was petrified of this enormous man, with his weird fur-laden outfit. Between our living room and my bedroom there was a door to the fire escape that I refused to walk past for weeks in case Giant Gonzalez was outside, and made my Dad check every time that he wasn't there.

At 30, this is something my three older sisters take great glee in reminding me of at every family gathering. But fuck me, an eight foot lad ranting and raving after taking out The Undertaker seemed a logical thing to be terrified of at the time.

Vader comes to mind for me. I barely watched WCW but when I caught some of it on ITV, it was generally Vader, grizzled face obscured by weird mask, battering someone or other. I just assumed he did that all the time to everyone. And I'd never seen someone his size do those moves from the turnbuckles either. I don't know if that was his peak, maybe he was better earlier than that I'm not sure. Missed most of his WWF run, thankfully. Although I did like his Summerslam title match with HBK, despite the dodgy multiple endings.

I was listening to Bix's retrospective podcast from when the Warrior died not to long ago, and something really stuck with me. When Warrior won the belt, they decided to tart him up a bit. Give him a traditional blonde mullet, make his face paint less all over the place. That was the era of the little Warrior logo on the cheek. Even started wearing bandanas and shit. This was done, because a lot of kids were shit scared of him. They even did that boarding on paedo skit with Amanda Warrior on the Brother Love Show where The Ultimate Hellwig spoke quite normal.

For the life of me I never knew this. I just assumed, like everyone, he began we aring different stuff. Is there anyone in wrestling you were scared of? Or just put off by? For example, Lex Luger's whole "USA, doing it for the boys back home" stuff never related to me and I always thought he was a bit of a dick even as a kid.

Is this the podcast with Warrior's business partner? Or the "legend in his own mind" Summerslam 91 interview Bix did for Wrestling Observer?

Warrior definitely becomes softer after he wins the belt - miles bigger too. Even his hair gets bigger, presumably to accommodate for the mass and height Hogan has on him? This period is dead interesting for me. Reading through Scott Keith's (sarcastic and unfunny) Wrestling Observer 90-91 recaps, some of the plans for this time include Piper turning heel and challenging Warrior at WMVII, Savage challenging, and of course Hogan/Warrior II with scenarios of Warrior as face, and heel.

Back on topic! I was never scared of him, but I can imagine kids being terrified of him, especially if he did turn into a slow-talking monster heel.

Saying that, I can remember a dream where Kane in full costume waded through a ball pit to come and fuck me up at the Wacky Warehouse in Wembley.

Well that's fucking weird. I've had a few dreams about Kane coming to get me, and one of the more memorable ones took place in a Wacky Warehouse.

Archived