lying parents

SuperBacon

• Paid Members

My dad told me, when I was a kid, that if you unscrew your belly button your bum will fall off.

OK, that made me laugh. Why the fuck would you even tell a child that? How do you even come up with such a ridiculous concept? 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly have no idea, and the fact that I've now told my daughter makes me thing he got told by his old man, and so on, and nobody knows who made it up.

I presume the aim is to stop you messing with your belly button, which I don't recall ever doing....but maybe that's why hah.

• Paid Members

Also, can anyone honestly say when thinking back, when you found out he wasn't real were you actually heartbroken?

it's not him that'll be heartbroken, it's me that'll have wobbly lip at having to say it out loud to him.

Completley agree Harry, I think thats the thing, the kids probably aren't overly fussed. The majority of their world is make believe and imagination.

Its us lot as parents wanted to create/recreate this magical experience and feel let down when someone spolis it.

• Paid Members

During a row with my parents a couple of years back, my mum, angry with something my wife said and pulled out a prosthetic boob (after having them removed) from a bra and hit her in the face with it. After leaving the room for  a few minutes she came back in to say she was lucky there wasnt a knife in the room as she would have stabbed my wife instead. My parents have not seen their Grandaughter since or ever met their Grandson, however she denies ever saying that (despite me being in the room at the time).

What had your wife said that warranted being smacked across the face with her mother-in-law's fake boob? I've googled but can't seem to find a helpful list of precedents.

• Awards Moderator

Another example is the first of the modern Transformers movies, which contains a line explicitly referring to masturbation. Erm, what? Imagine sitting with your kid watching the big robot cars when suddenly that enters the dialogue. Plainly unnecessary, even if the current series does appeal to both young and old.

I had exactly this situation sat in the cinema with my 7 year old. I wanted to peel my face off with embarrassment. So jarring.

As it turns out the film wasn't suitable for any humans regardless of age on grounds of quality.

• Paid Members

Slightly different.

But i grew up with my younger nephew so he was like a little brother. Anyway i was doing the whole magi item that passes around the back of the head and "disappears". So i did it with the remote control one day and convinced him i had magiced it into his head.

The only way to turn channel was to hit his head with the palm of his hand. He would look at tv "spam" himself and i would change the channel without him seeing.

Had a quick laugh but didnt count on him running to his mum "watch mummy" sitting infront of the tv and repeatedly face palming  trying to get it to turn over. 

• Paid Members

What had your wife said that warranted being smacked across the face with her mother-in-law's fake boob? I've googled but can't seem to find a helpful list of precedents.

I don't think there is a list Zeb.

The row was mainly between my parents and me and we were almost two hours in, My wife had felt terrible giving birth to our daughter via Emergency C section, feeling she had let her down in not being able to deliver her naturally and my mum told her to (Wo)man up. She told my mum, never having gone through it, she had no right to say that too her and my mum, being the fruitcase she is, said well I lost these! and the rest is above.

Basically my parents are weird, horrible people. My Dad isn't as bad, but my Mum is on another level. We had fallen out with so many members of my family due to her acid tongue. I took it all because they were my parents and this was the first time I called them out on it.

The good news is I am generally in a better place, I was able to repair my relationship with lots of Aunts, Uncles etc. and my Brother (whom our parents always played us off each other) and sister in law we are really close to now. They still talk to them to keep the peace however.

Archived