WEIRD Things That Scared You As A Kid ffs

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot about Zelda from Terrahawks. Jesus, that thing was creepy as hell.

Zelda I was fine with, 'cos she just looked like a pantomime/fairy tale witch or old crone.

Cy-Star was the one that freaked me out, because she looked like a sexually ravenous zombie Barbara Cartland (and the real Barbara Cartland was scary enough to start with).

She reminded me of my Auntie Joan

YES. Exactly the same with me with that scene! There were two other Bond scenes I had trouble with when I was a kid as well.

Corinne Dufour gets terminated

That one got to me too, In such a camp and ridiculous Bond film it stands out like a sore thumb, but it's such a tense and well shoot scene, with the awesome score as well,  that I think it'd still pack a punch in one of the darker Bonds.

Another thing that's come to mind is the public information films and posters about AIDS in the 80's. I remember being utterly  terrified, and I was convinced that whatever it was my parents were going to die from it.

Absolutely the wheelers from Return to Oz for me, even now they make me feel uneasy.

My brother is 12 years older than me and was apparently terrified of a sketch on the Two Ronnies that was called The Phantom Raspberry blower. My older sister talks about it to this day, how she uses to creep up behind him and blow a raspberry in his ear.

• Paid Members

At 43 I am clearly one of the older members of this fantastic forum as this gave me; and a fair few others nightmares.

Point is that it worked though:

Lonely Water:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonely_Water

You also watched It Was Alright In The 70s as well did you?

That was indeed quite scary but I can't say I remembered it until seeing it on that particular show tonight.

• Paid Members

I just remembered that I suddenly developed a crippling fear of paraffin one night after That's Life did a feature on a faulty paraffin lamp that had burned some poor bird's face off. 

One of my earliest memories is seeing this appear at the beginning of a BBC video (can't remember what) and absolutely breaking down in tears out of intense fear. Even seeing it at the beginning of Blackadder's Christmas Carol a few days ago sent shivers down my spine.

The Disney film intro also used to scare me so much that I was scared to go to Disney World the first time I went to Florida in case the castle was like that in real life. I was 16.

• Moderators

For what seemed like years, although your concept of time at that age is very off, so may have been far less, I was terrified of televisions that were switched off, after a show featuring a ghost that lived in the electricity, and their face could be seen on the screen when it wasn't switched on. I saw this identified on another forum some years ago, and it was just a fucking Dramarama or something.

I also had this fear of terrorists in ski masks busting into my home and shooting me and my family dead. No idea where I got that from. Probably a snippet of a film or news story I shouldn't have witnessed at that age.

Also, big birds. But not Big Bird. I had recurring nightmares about storks nesting on the roofs of my street, but they were the size of horses.

All this stuff is aged about 5-6.

• Paid Members

My little sister was absolutely terrified of skeletons when she was little, presumably due to them being portrayed as spooky in cartoons and stuff. Funnily enough she took little comfort in my dad calmly explaining to her that her whole body was actually filled with one of those very same things she feared the most.

• Paid Members

Some of the Spitting Image puppets used to frighten me. I used to have these nightmares that the Norman Tebbit puppet would eat my feet as I lay in bed. Didnt help that they generally came on just before bed time on before a school night.

Pink elephants as well. One instance I recall was an episode of Rab C Nesbitt, I ran to my Mam and was in tears. Look at it!

jzb2o3.jpg

Archived