WEIRD Things That Scared You As A Kid ffs

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Oh fuck Charn just brought back horrible horrible memories. Count me in for the cyborg from Superman 3, Zelda and Jaws. I used to have to get out the bath before the plug was pulled just in case Jaws came up.

I was utterly fucking terrified of Pipes from Ghostwatch in 1992. I was 12 and I didn't sleep for days.

Is this the one that was a one off live show with celebrity reporters on the street? (I can't watch your clip o my phone for some reason).

If it's that one I remember sitting up to watch it, egging it and my dad saying something like "your bloody wrestlings more real than this shite"

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You stand in a dark corridor in an administrative building — it’s after hours, you shouldn’t be there, but there are vital files you need to locate. The man who gave you the key seemingly had two glass eyes, and he was drinking from an empty mug. You turned around, and he was no longer there, there was just a cardboard cutout behind the desk.

Further into the building, you seem to spy other petitioners, but when you whirl around to regard them, all that you can see are softly glimmering dust motes, dancing in the lantern light. Why do you have a lantern? This is 2016.

Out of the darkness, administrative music slowly churns. What is administrative music? Why did you describe it as such? Still, it seems to fit. Under it all, there is a busy hum of white noise, and speech just below the audible range.

Suddenly, out of the darkness lurches a man, dressed in archaic fashion, highlighted with a single, sad spotlight. He approaches slowly, almost flickering in the effort of movement. He is weird, unrelaxed.

He is spook. He is slither. You hear a heavy bolt slide shut on the other side of the only entrance. Soon you will be spook. You will be slither. Weird.

tumblr_ofrx57o8gj1qf9csoo1_400.gif

• Paid Members

Finally found out a couple of months ago that the reason we always seemed to have Worzel Gummidge on when I was a child was that my dad had/has a massive crush on Una Stubbs as Aunt Sally, and we had a set of tapes that he didn't tell me about, so when it was "on TV," it was just him sticking in a tape and watching an episode.

• Paid Members

Worzel Gummidge seemed creepy at the time, but even now, look at the state of Dafthead. You genuinely don't see stuff that frightening in actual modern horror movies.

uja1V9U.jpg

OsuvDGP.jpg

Fuck sake thats going to crop up in some flu assosciated night terror. Have I never seen Worzel Gummidge before or is it just so hideous I have blocked it from memory

There's nothing weird about being scared of Ghostwatch though, is there? It's practically the British version of the War Of The Worlds broadcast.

No that's my fault for getting carried away and forgetting the weird part of it. Still it's given one poor sod a sleepless night.

• Paid Members

I forgot about Zelda from Terrahawks. Jesus, that thing was creepy as hell.

Zelda I was fine with, 'cos she just looked like a pantomime/fairy tale witch or old crone.

Cy-Star was the one that freaked me out, because she looked like a sexually ravenous zombie Barbara Cartland (and the real Barbara Cartland was scary enough to start with).

Archived