WEIRD Things That Scared You As A Kid ffs

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Loving this thread so far. Trying to imagine a slurring, baritone Mr Mayagi has brought on the giggles.

From an early age I was scared of Ruth Madoc and Liza Minelli, and it's only in the last two years or so that I've considered the possibly that Servalan from Blake's 7 instilled in me the belief that women with short black hair, styled in that way are evil.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

At the bottom of my Aunties street was a seriously overgrown rose bush which I was convinced were triffids.

I had to cross the road to walk past them.

This is the sort of thing! I love that. When we used to go round to my nanna's every Saturday, my mum would remark, if the hedge in her front garden hadn't been trimmed, "Christ, it's like Day Of The Triffids!"

I didn't know what that was at that age but I presumed it wasn't good.

YOU BASTARDS!!! This is bring up suppressed nightmares for me.

I was shit scared of Vanessa Paradis Joe Le Taxi video. I remember telling my Mum that witches were dancing around a taxi outside our flat. There's no way I'm watching the video again just in case. Can anyone confirm that there are no witches in the video? Cheers...

Ffs, Vanessa Paradis is hot as well

And I was also scared by the ending of Raiders of The Lost Ark when the spirits come of of the Ark and start melting the Nazis.

This bit for me, along with the scene in Ghostbusters 2 where the baby gets abducted by the flying ghost. i was subjected to a lot of horror movies as a kid (thanks Dad) and none of them bothered me, these two scenes shit me right up though.

My younger brother was more of a scaredy cat than me. He was terrified of Paul Bearer, mannequins and the intro to Coronation Street.

• Paid Members

The Neverending Story. Like I said in the other thread, I watched a lot of the standard action films of the 80's from the age of around 4 or 5 and was never bothered by gore, violence or rapists being shot in the dick but The Neverending Story scared the living shit out of me. That wolf, he can fuck right of for starters, creeping up on folk and generally being a git.

Same with my 4-year old, the wolf in that film scares the living daylights out of him.

And I was also scared by the ending of Raiders of The Lost Ark when the spirits come of of the Ark and start melting the Nazis. It's one of the few memories I have of my grandmother - she was babysitting and it was on. When it got to that part I got upset and I remember her telling me not to be scared because it was just like Wurzle Gummage.

That got me too. I can vividly remember getting freaked out and going to sit on my dads knee while watching it. I was 28 years old.

Despite never having a fear of clowns the opening scene to Octopussy used to really get to me. I had a fear of water when little so perhaps it's when he gets washed down the river that upset me,  but there was something about the vision of him crashing through the window that always used to rattle around my head for ages too. Watching it back now it's really tame stuff, and I watched Aliens and Robocop (possibly the edited for TV versions) with no problem at all around the same time.

• Paid Members

Back in Junior school we did the Look and Read 'Through the Dragons Eye' TV series and I remember being absolutely shit scared of the ultimate heel that was Charn. I can't stress how petrified I was of him. The weird skeleton like chest and trippy movments... Made even worse when James Brewer told me he lived in the toilets round the back of Mrs. Powell's class room.

Horrifying. 

Archived