WEIRD Things That Scared You As A Kid ffs

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Annie Lennox terrified me as a child and still does. I can't look at her or listen to her voice without thinking "That cunt is evil..."

I straight up tried to bang one out to her to try and get over my irrational fear, but that didn't even help.

The Sarlacc Pit frightened me as a child when it was just a hole.

The Snowman cartoon used to give me recurring nightmares and I had to beat him to ash with a sweeping brush in my dreams one night to finally vanquish him.

Grace Jones both frightened aroused me.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

mBIRSDMFv-IXNvWLVou8wqQ.jpgWalkmans. 

Dunno what you lot were playing at as kids watching Thomas the tank Engine and that, in the Matrix household it was all about the Karate Kid audio book.

Until one day, when, unbeknownst to me, the batteries were clapped out.  I whacked up the volume, put on my headphones, akin to these beauties

oldphones.jpg

and boom.  It happened.  To this day, I get shivers down my spine when I think about how terrifying the sound of a stern, elderly Japanese man yelling DANIEL SAN in that slow drawn out way you used to get before mp3 players just 'died'.

I thought Satan himself had crawled into my brain through my ears!  I must have been seven or eight maybe when this happened, and no word of a lie, the next time I put a pair of headphones on was my 16th birthday when mum bought my Black Sunday by Cypress Hill, followed shortly after by the instruction never to play that out loud when Nan's round again.

• Paid Members

The robot woman in Superman III about crippled me too.

Not unscary, but the bit in Ghostbusters where a ghost goes up the exhaust pipe of the taxi and turns into a zombie taxi driver absolutely crippled me, to the point where I would hide behind the settee every time this bit came up. I don't think I saw this 15 second-or-so segment again till I was in my 20s.

Knightmare scared me — I think a combination of the graphics, the face gradually (or not so gradually) deterioriating as they died, the isolation of the situation, and the fact that it was other kids that were getting "killed off" by, but I was totally shit up by this show.

• Paid Members

Yes! Cyborg lady from Superman III is a not-so-fond memory of mine, too! It was discussed in the office just a few weeks back on account of how terrifying it was as a youngster. Especially when it was on ITV in the middle of the afternoon.

An irrational fear I had when I was young was open bodies of water. Don’t know if it was brought on by something else on TV but would hate being next to the ocean or in a car and stopped on a bridge over a river. I had a fear the tide was going to come in and drown me, or that the bridge was going to collapse and fall into the water. Not sure why.

At the bottom of my Aunties street was a seriously overgrown rose bush which I was convinced were triffids.

I had to cross the road to walk past them.

Oh and Ronald McDonald and whilst I'm having flashbacks Grotbag scared the shit out of me. In fact that entire show

'there's somebody at the door'

My mum tells me that as a kid I wasn't at all keen on Santa Claus and used to request that the Snowman delivered my presents instead. This one's got to he pretty common though, so I doubt it's all that weird.

Why on earth would you be scared of such a lovely, jolly fella?

1025207_orig.jpg

(From this list by Digitiser's Mr Biffo)

The Neverending Story. Like I said in the other thread, I watched a lot of the standard action films of the 80's from the age of around 4 or 5 and was never bothered by gore, violence or rapists being shot in the dick but The Neverending Story scared the living shit out of me. That wolf, he can fuck right of for starters, creeping up on folk and generally being a git. That horse called Artex snuffs it early on. The creepy dude reading the book is terrifying aswell. The whole movie still makes me feel massively uncomfortable and I still flat out refuse to watch it. I'm 31.

• Paid Members

The covers on the VHS tapes at the local video rental shop used to be give me the frights, as usually my imagination did the work. The likes of the Lawnmower Man gave me the fear, for some reason. Of course, walking past the horror section was the worst. I used to believe there was genuine evil lingering in that corner, but maybe it was just my old man dropping some of last nights curry in that corner.

• Paid Members

I was traumatised by Thriller when I was younger. It always played every day on MTV when I was in a particular bar in Spain and the owner would turn out all the lights and run through the bar with a zombie mask on. I would be cowering under the table clinging to my mum's leg absolutely hysterical with fear. But everyone thought it was cute that I was scared of silly old Michael Jackson in make-up. Fuck off!

My dad's a drummer and the band he was in dressed up as The Muppets band when I was little so obviously he was Animal. His mask lived on top of the wardrobe and I refused to go into their room at night because of the mask.

And I was also scared by the ending of Raiders of The Lost Ark when the spirits come of of the Ark and start melting the Nazis. It's one of the few memories I have of my grandmother - she was babysitting and it was on. When it got to that part I got upset and I remember her telling me not to be scared because it was just like Wurzle Gummage.

Archived