WEIRD Things That Scared You As A Kid ffs

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I fucking hate that megathread, there's a bunch of stuff in there that could make for good topics at a time when the forum's comatose.

There's currently a discussion, sort of, going in there about odd stuff that upset you as a kid. As I mentioned, there was a bit in Jaws The Revenge that really disturbed me for a good few weeks after yet I was alright with stuff like Dirty Harry and Aliens.

But when I was a bit younger, there was a Mancunian DJ called Mike Sweeney who used to do a slot on Granada Tonight about music every week and whenever he came on I used to hide behind the couch. No idea what specifically used to bother me about him and I didn't mind when he was on the radio. Mind you, look at this boat race:-

Mike_Sweeney_400x400.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Not so much weird when you know the reasoning why...

Grates. The work of the devil.

I was about five years old and walking merrily through parochial corners of Wiltshire with my Grandmother. She had bought me a pack of frosted party rings and I was having a gay old time. As we were about to hop into her Rover and head home, I walked onto one of those grates you get on pavements across the country and the bastard caved in. I'm there clawing onto the edge of it, attempting to avoid falling 10 foot into the Sarlack Pit while yelling, before my Gran managed to haul me out.

Still hate those nobbers and avoid them like the plague. 

• Paid Members

I was petrified of this prick as a child:

hqdefault.jpg

Diesel from Thomas the Tank Engine

We talk about Robocop and such being unsuitable for kids, well what about this then? The writers and producers of Thomas managed to create something so sinister and evil that I would sob endlessly behind the sofa whenever he appeared on the show. Just look at his face- that's the stuff of nightmares. Darth Vader had nothing on this train when I was a kid.

My older sister was scared of loads of stuff as a kid. Some obvious ones such as fireworks, but also ovens. Ours in particular made this god awful noise that used to frighten her, probably similar to Kevin's fear of the boiler/heater in Home Alone.

• Paid Members

You know what, Statto, I can see that! For some reason it reminds me of THAT scene in Superman 3:-

PunkStep - YES. And you know, I was a bit older when Thomas The Tank Engine came along and that bastard still unnerved me, I can't imagine what I'd been like if I'd seen it younger.

• Moderators

The blog?

billgates_angry21.jpg

Buy the book, you pleb!

Surprising how many people have that superman 3 one. These Usborne books really scared the hell out of me as a kid:

https://horrorpedia.com/2013/04/17/usborne-guide-to-the-supernatural-world-book/

Particularly the one about werewolves. They had a really creepy art style; the images really stayed with me...

Archived