Cris Cyborg

ColinBollocks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fucking hell. Nothing like jumping to conclusions here.

Cyborg has been one of the most randomly tested fighters in the new USADA regime and had passed every previous test.

All this is a potential violation and she's already come out saying that it's medical and linked to the recovery to the botched weight cut from the last fight.

Furthermore a TUE can be granted retrospectively and her doctor has been in contact with USADA to state she needs this medical treatment to recover.

Maybe I'm being naive but considering the timing, I actually believe her.

• Paid Members

Even if it's due to her horrific weight cut for her last fight, i can't help but think that the weight cut wouldn't been half as bad, and she wouldn't have needed to take a banned substance, had she not piled on the pounds these past three years. All weight cutting is dangerous and stupid, but cutting to 140 from 160 has got to be easier than cutting to it from 175.

• Paid Members

Come on Supremo. Surely you're not openly ignoring George Lockhart's abhorrent advice during her last camp?

This is a guy who the ufc employed and completely fucked up the whole process going into her last fight.

The birth control pill didn't enable her to lose weight naturally in the build up to the fight in order to ridiculously make a pointless weight to begin with.

She makes weight every single time and due to advice from someone the ufc hired, she had to put her body through hell to get to there.

It wasnt the amount of weight she had to cut that was the problem, it was the amount of weight combined with the short time frame due to her body withholding the water from the birth control she was on that was the issue.

The thing is the birth control was advised by lockhart to fucking control her mood swings as a result of her menstrual cycle. It had fuck all to do with nutrition.

• Paid Members

I get the birth control thing entirely. That was really shitty. However, the root of this whole thing lies in the fact that she signed with the UFC under the agreement that she dropped weight, but she put it on instead. If she held up her part of the agreement she wouldn't need specific weight cut procedures and experiments that might go (has gone) wrong. And she wouldn't need medication to get herself heathy again. And that medication wouldn't result in her potentially failing a test and getting suspended. I haven't seen it for myself, but supposedly there was a documentary on her this week where a doctor said it would be unhealthy for her to fight at any weight below 165 now?

This whole thing is a fucking shambles and it's because there's something legitimately wrong with her when it comes to her need to get bigger and bigger, whilst simultaneously promising she'll lose weight, calling out fighters at a much lower weight, and crying when she isn't crowned the inaugural champion for a weight class thirty pounds below what she walks around at. She's full on mental.

• Paid Members

Come on man. She never needed medical attention during her last cut to 140llbs before this one.

She's only on medical treatment now due to her having to lose so much in such a short space of time. This was no fault of her own.

Whilst I acknowledge that right at the beginning she thought there was potential to get to 135llbs, she nixed that idea after the very first attempt at 140llbs and said she will never fight at 135llbs.

Furthermore it's within her right after that point if she wanted to get bigger.

Again she's never not made weight (for the ufc or invicta since her failed test) and as long as she makes 145llbs then that's completely her prerogative.

• Paid Members

Come on man. She never needed medical attention during her last cut to 140llbs before this one.

Has she ever made it from 175 before? Not being a dick, that's a genuine question. As I understand it, she's bigger than ever now. That's going to make it harder.

And of course she's got every right to get as big as she wants. But that goes directly against why she was signed in the first place, and all it's going to do is keep this ridiculous nonsense continuing indefinitely.

You think she'll never miss weight? I suspect the exact opposite. Or, she'll die in a sauna.

• Paid Members

Who knows what her weight was before her cut in the past. I genuinely don't have that answer.

Her being bigger of course will make it harder, but again if she can make the cut to 145 then who are we to judge?

There are endless fighters out there who make gigantic cuts. She's not the only one.

You may have a point in the ufc signing her in the hope of one day making 135llbs, however she told them flat out after the first 140llbs attempt that 135llbs wouldn't be an option going forward.

However they still booked her again at catchweight despite this. It was in the second fight that she made a point of her weight gain, after informing the ufc 135llbs wasn't an option.

I maybe wrong here too, but wasn't the increase in weight down to her body withholding water due to the birth control she taking as well? She found herself gaining weight during her last camp despite her following a strict diet plan.

• Paid Members

Cyborg has been one of the most randomly tested fighters in the new USADA regime and had passed every previous test.

Not so - this was her first random test.

https://twitter.com/dimspace/status/812021744395546624

Apologies, I meant to say in general...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/12/22/14062568/cris-cyborg-talks-usada-notification-ufc-medical-treatment

• Paid Members

She has trouble cutting weight because she takes steroids & does powerlifting - it's not a mystery. She's gotten bigger over the last 2 years, and it's all muscle.

If this test comes back confirming that then fair enough, but until then I won't be condemning her.

• Paid Members

There are endless fighters out there who make gigantic cuts. She's not the only one.

I can't think of any other fighters where it's become such a fucking chore with though. People either cut the weight, or they change divisions to a weight they're able to achieve. No other fighter, to my knowledge, has made such a song and dance about it all, becoming a constant headache to everyone involved. It's literally been going on for years. Calling out Ronda, promising to lose weight, then going back and forth on whether that's possible, weirdly posting photos of scales, as if to boast about how big she's getting, constantly, endlessly complaining about money, and divisions, and title shots, and people ducking her or whatever, and all the while she's powerlifting to get herself as big as possible, and not declaring medication required due to all her weight issues. Even if this violation is for the medication she's claiming, why didn't she declare it? At the most basic of levels that's really fucking stupid. But then, just look at the career she's had compared to the career she could've had. Has anyone ever been more mismanaged?

Archived