Cris Cyborg

ColinBollocks

Have to love the nutritional experts that populate the internet. She could have done this, she could have hit the treadmill, she could have lost muscle mass, she could have dieted down to a lower weight. Yeah, all so fucking easy to do, isn't it? Certainly easy to talk about doing while we're all sitting on our fat arses drinking beer and watching the fights.

Seriously, it's pretty obvious what happened with her. She was told in no uncertain terms that if she couldn't make 135lbs she wasn't fighting in the UFC, so what did she do? She made noises about trying to make the weight, she kept her name out there in the media by hinting that she could manage it, that she wanted to face Rousey, that Rousey was afraid to face her at 140lbs or 145lbs.

What did you expect her to do? Just say she couldn't make the weight and quietly fuck off into obscurity? Regardless of what weight she made, she kept herself in the spotlight, she kept talking and she kept other people talking, didn't she? And rightfully so. We all know that being in the media and relevant is what counts, and she did what she could in that regard until the day came where the UFC realised that Honda looked to be on her way out and that they maybe all of a sudden had some room for Cyborg after all.

Would that have been the case if she'd initially said she couldn't make the weight and had fucked off without a peep? Would there have been an episode of the MMA Beat dedicated to discussing her? Would anyone give a fuck? Of course not.

Now she's fought a few times, done very fucking well and it looks as though she'll get that 145lbs weightclass and the title she wanted.

Job done.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm not a nutrional expert, but isn't Dolche, who flat out called bullshit on her for getting bigger and bigger?

Also, it's really hard not to imagine that if she can make 140 when her natural body weight is 175, there could've been a chance she could have made 135 when he natural body weight was 160, no? When she did that hilarious press conference with Tito, getting on the scales for everyone, she was 160 and it was impossible to get down to 135. And yet from 175 she can make 140? Again, that baffles me as to why the narrative is such that she's been so hard done by, and those horrible UFC brass are all to blame. Nah, mate.

Also, 145 belt or not, she'll never make the pay day she could have.

Cyborg has did well in the ratings but so have certain other Women, Holm -Shevchenko (sp) and a few FS1 cards have peaked at the female bout, think Grasso and few others have been the ratings peak on certain cards they didn't main event.

I remember the uproar when Rousey-Carmouche headlined above Hendo & Kyoto Machida a few years back, now nobody cares.

• Paid Members

Dana said a few months ago that "Ronda wants the fight" but they need to figure out the weight, which he reckons will be 140lbs. Of course, Dana is a promoter and doesn't mind talking nonsense for hype reasons.

I'd be very surprised if they ever square off in their prime. Similar to Lesnar/Fedor or GSP/Silva, there seems to be too much bollocks in the way for them to agree to it. I doubt Rousey agrees to a 145lbs fight, unless she's mad, and Cyborg can barley make 140lbs without knocking on deaths door.

• Paid Members

I've finally caught up on the news. So, after years of people demonising the UFC for not making a 145 division in order to accommodate Cyborg, they make one, offer her a title fight,,and it comes out that she can't make the weight because she's gotten too big.

At this point, how anyone can blame anyone but Cyborg for the whole debacle is beyond me. That was supposedly her weight division and now she can't even make that weight. What a fool.

• Paid Members

This is totally on Cyborg. It's her choice to have gotten bigger since she signed with the company rather than smaller. And it isn't purely genetic reasons that she can't lose weight. Training styles and diets play a huge part, and you simply don't get stronger, bigger and more muscular unless you want to.

I understand that she can't make the weight now due to the position she is in, and to try to do so in that timeframe would be dangerous. However the reason she is in that position is via her own choices and she can't blame anyone but herself for that.

I'm not buying the birth control excuse either. Anybody that has been around a weight controlled sport for any period of time knows that chemical birth control will cause women to have a hard time cutting weight. Somebody of her experience should know this. Plus if it helped her in her cut then it would have cause to be a banned substance.

• Paid Members

I'm not buying the birth control excuse either. Anybody that has been around a weight controlled sport for any period of time knows that chemical birth control will cause women to have a hard time cutting weight. Somebody of her experience should know this. Plus if it helped her in her cut then it would have cause to be a banned substance.

I'm not sure if you've followed what actually happened? It was a professional nutritionist (George Lockhart, who also works with Conor Mcgregor) who is also employed by the UFC who put her on birth control for the last fight.

She was doing what a professional advised her to do.

I've got to be honest, I'm far from a pro Cyborg supporter here, but there really isn't a story here.

She's already come out and said that she will fight for the belt come March when she's healthily got over the last botched weight cut.

As long as she can still make 145 in the future, she's done absolutely nothing wrong here. 

• Paid Members

Exactly, lamby. For her own health, she's basically been told to not do a weight cut any time soon. Cyborg can be an unsympathetic figure due to her history with PEDs and what not to enhance the very thing that's betrayed her recently, but I think it's fairly reasonable to ask for time to let her body recover. It's not like she didn't make the 140 weight before this, she did the job they asked and it's ruined her body.

If she can't make the 145 weight next year, after taking the time off she supposedly needs, then it's definitely worth a discussion as to whether she's worth it. Right now, I don't see the problem other than UFC don't get fill a card with her.

• Paid Members

Of course she shouldn't be trying to make that weight in a short time frame, I agree with that totally. She's way too big and it's too dangerous and after the last weight cut for her to try and do something similar with the timeframe she's been given would be a serious risk.

The issue isn't that she won't weight cut in that time frame. With where she's at she just can't and shouldn't be expected to. The issue for her and the UFC is that she has gotten much larger off season when she was meant to be getting smaller off season. Is it her nutrionists advice on the birth control issue? Is it the style of training? It's perhaps a combination of both.

I have been trying to follow what was going on, and may have missed bits here and there but I was aware of her attributing it to the birth control advice from her nutrionist and what I'm saying is she still needs to take a degree of responsibility for that. It's still her body even if it was his advice. Yes she needs the time off, and needs to let her body heal in order to make the cut safely after the last time. But I don't think she is free from responsibilty when it comes to blaming the birth control on the nutrionist. She should have been seeking extra advice on that, no different than seeking a second opionion from a doctor. I've never came accross anyone ever being advised to take birth control when going through a weight cut, unless they have absolutely no trouble making the weight. However from reading up on it, science seems to back Lockhart up on the diuretic effect of this particular pill, which then would make the problem something else other than the birth control if Lockhart was correct.

It comes down to why is Cyborg so large out of camp that she is too heavy to make weight in 8 weeks? That needs looked at for down the line, but definitely I agree for her health she needs a good sized gap in order to lose the weight safely for the next fight, but I'd be shocked if this isn't a recurring theme.

• Paid Members

Of course she shouldn't be trying to make that weight in a short time frame, I agree with that totally. She's way too big and it's too dangerous and after the last weight cut for her to try and do something similar with the timeframe she's been given would be a serious risk.

The issue isn't that she won't weight cut in that time frame. With where she's at she just can't and shouldn't be expected to. The issue for her and the UFC is that she has gotten much larger off season when she was meant to be getting smaller off season. Is it her nutrionists advice on the birth control issue? Is it the style of training? It's perhaps a combination of both.

I have been trying to follow what was going on, and may have missed bits here and there but I was aware of her attributing it to the birth control advice from her nutrionist and what I'm saying is she still needs to take a degree of responsibility for that. It's still her body even if it was his advice. Yes she needs the time off, and needs to let her body heal in order to make the cut safely after the last time. But I don't think she is free from responsibilty when it comes to blaming the birth control on the nutrionist. She should have been seeking extra advice on that, no different than seeking a second opionion from a doctor. I've never came accross anyone ever being advised to take birth control when going through a weight cut, unless they have absolutely no trouble making the weight. However from reading up on it, science seems to back Lockhart up on the diuretic effect of this particular pill, which then would make the problem something else other than the birth control if Lockhart was correct.

It comes down to why is Cyborg so large out of camp that she is too heavy to make weight in 8 weeks? That needs looked at for down the line, but definitely I agree for her health she needs a good sized gap in order to lose the weight safely for the next fight, but I'd be shocked if this isn't a recurring theme.

You seem to be talking as if Cyborg doesn't already fight at 145llbs here? She's the invicta champion at that weight and fights at that weight and never misses weight.

She wants time off due to a fucked up cut that occurred via a professional's recommendation to take a birth control pill. The very same professional who the UFC hired for her to help her make a weight that she doesn't normally fight in.

There really is no story here. She needs time off due to a fucked up cut and that's it.

I've finally caught up on the news. So, after years of people demonising the UFC for not making a 145 division in order to accommodate Cyborg, they make one, offer her a title fight,,and it comes out that she can't make the weight because she's gotten too big.

At this point, how anyone can blame anyone but Cyborg for the whole debacle is beyond me. That was supposedly her weight division and now she can't even make that weight. What a fool.

What are you on about mate? She can make the weight but isn't wanting to fight again before March due to her dealing with issues caused be her last weightcut. Did you not see the short documentary that was put together showing her dealing with the whole birth control carry on?

She's not ready in time for the title fight, so the company are putting another two fighters in for the belt and Cyborg will likely fight the winner in the summer when she's good to go. Fuck all to it, no big deal. Chill out.

• Paid Members

I imagine Cyborg is fighting whoever wins the Holly Holm vs Germaine de Randamie fight (which is actually a sleeper awesome standup fight btw), right? I can't imagine what else the plan could be.

I hope women's 145 picks up now the UFC are bringing them in. It's a really shallow division, even by women's MMA standards.

Archived