Your Crimbo Traditions

Gus Mears

What about Christmas Day breakfast? it's Pork Pie and bucks fizz round here, is that a national tradition or a more local thing?

Used to be a bacon buttie before the missus. Now they have pork pie and cheese for breakfast. For some reason when I joined in with this they were offended by me bringing Branston Pickle into it and one year when I got a nice Wensleydale with apricots.

So sod them this year her lot can do what they like and me and the little monster will stick to toast and Malted Milk.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy cooking, and am looking forward to making a nice meal for the family, but the real icing on the cake is being the chef means I don't have to do any of the clean up duties!

My brother will be my sous chef, so we will play Xbox whilst the womenfolk do clean up (which has historically been our job, and is the worst thing ever when you've eaten yourself sick and you just want to lie down).

The anticipation of it can turn an average Christmas dinner into a bad one, as you know you've got that mountain of dishes awaiting you for basically nothing.

• Paid Members

What about Christmas Day breakfast? it's Pork Pie and bucks fizz round here, is that a national tradition or a more local thing?

Used to be a bacon buttie before the missus. Now they have pork pie and cheese for breakfast. For some reason when I joined in with this they were offended by me bringing Branston Pickle into it and one year when I got a nice Wensleydale with apricots.

Absolute wrongun. You don't deserve to eat cheese. They were probably offended because Wensleydale with fruit in is one of the single most disgusting items of food ever conceived by man or beast. You may as well have just dropped trow and curled one out on the breakfast table, such is the level of disgust inspired by so rank a dish.

• Paid Members

Absolute wrongun. You don't deserve to eat cheese. They were probably offended because Wensleydale with fruit in is one of the single most disgusting items of food ever conceived by man or beast. You may as well have just dropped trow and curled one out on the breakfast table, such is the level of disgust inspired by so rank a dish.

I'd say this is was an overreaction, but then I realized that it was about Wensleydale with fruit in it, which is the worst food imaginable. A local supermarket chain here tried to make Sticky Toffee Pudding Wensleydale a thing, which was about 50% of the reason I stopped going there. Someone once gave my parents a big block of white stilton, which is already a joke cheese, studded with dried fruits, and they realized that it was regifted, because of course it was. Needless to say, they quickly turned it into a regift of their own. I imagine it's still doing the rounds in rural Nottinghamshire, even though the original sender has been dead for over a decade, and it's probably mouldy enough to be confused for real stilton by now.

• Paid Members

You are all wrong about wensleydale with cranberry. It's the cheese pudding. Stilton for starters, any strong as fuck cheese for main, followed by wens/cran for afters.

If you pretend it's not a cheese, but a cheese relative, like crackers or pickles, then you have won.

You are right about the other types of wensleydale though. Utter gutter butter.

Is it even worse to have it with digestives? :)

• Paid Members

What about Christmas Day breakfast? it's Pork Pie and bucks fizz round here, is that a national tradition or a more local thing?

Smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and whiskey. The whiskey is an uncorroborated tradition brought over from the motherland by my Madeiran Aunt, although I'm fairly sure she's just keen for a Christmas day piss up.

• Paid Members

I always loved Christmas, but have been a bit mopey over in recent years as the routine that was in place for 20 odd years went to shit when my Mum died, and my sister and Dad fell out with each other, and my Gran died and it became clear that I was never going to have anything close to it again.

We always used to have a few small presents at the foot of the bed (in a hiking sock filling in for a stocking). Presumably to keep us occupied for a bit after we woke up so we wouldn't be bugging our parents for us to go downstairs.

Now that there's a new Digby in the house, it's time to start setting up a new routine and get Christmas done properly. He's too young to appreciate it this year, but I can just consider it a test run. There's some disagreement with the missus over the levels of decorating that can be done, but I don't see the point in half-arsing it. Tinsel and shiny things everywhere.

Unfortunately I'm working on Christmas Eve, so partner and son are going up to her parents a few days earlier, and I'm driving up straight from work. Christmas day will be with the in-laws, and then I'm driving back Boxing Day. The day after we're all going round to my older sister's and for the first time in years, my Dad and younger sister will both be there (well, they're both invited. I wouldn't put it past younger sister to not turn up out of spite).

As I've got a few days on my own, I'll make sure I watch Star Wars, a Bond, a Harryhausen and a Carry On, just like Christmas viewing should be. Might even have a look on the Firestick and see if there's any Benji films on there.

This year I made the effort to meet up with my half-sister. My Dad sprung her existence on me out of the blue 12 years ago and then never mentioned her again. We've met up twice now (our daughters look incredibly similar) and it's possible we may meet up again before the year's out.

• Awards Moderator

Lovely story Diggers.

This is one of the things you never get told as a grown up with children - it's up to you to make new traditions. You just twig one day whatever you're doing together is the new norm that your offspring will emulate.

• Paid Members

Just like to echo that I though that was a lovely story Surf. Hope you have a great Christmas.

You're both right about how you end up creating new traditions that will be carried down for some considerable time. I love that. I would like to think that in 150 years time when I'm long gone, if there is such a thing as the human race left, then my decedents will still be doing the odd thing or two that I picked up from my Grandparents at Christmas and passed down. The families obsession with port, the ridiculously sized cheese board. Just a few bits and bobs in that vain. 

Archived