Your Crimbo Traditions

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I actually like Christmas. Never been one of those miserable bastards who complains about having to buy presents and talk to Uncle Brian for more than three seconds.

What are your traditions over Crimbo and how did they start?

As mentioned in the telly thread, Chas and Dave's Xmas Knees Up gets a yearly viewing. As does Ghost Boat, one of the worst ITV dramas of all time.

Getting my aging gran tanked up on Bristol's Sherry is a must as is going for a massive curry on the 28th with friends. After days of rich food, nowt like a good vindaloo to really clear your ringer out.

Speaking of Uncle Brian, the 28th is also usually is my day to take whatever appalling clothes he's nicked from the back of a lorry to the local charity shop. Last year's snappy number was a pair of mustard yellow chinos and a XL coat. I'm 5,6 and 9 and a bit stone. He said it would fit "if I put a few jumpers on". It didn't.

Boxing Day has my favourite tradition and proves that the West Country is the best part of England. We go to the local for THE YEARLY WELLY WANGING COMPETITION!!! You drink mulled wine in a gazebo and then attempt to throw a welly as far as you can. You get a free round of drinks and a trophy if you get the best distance and a mate of mine proudly adorns said trophy on his wall after hoying a welly into the landlords car last year.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah. The sub turns up after being sunk decades earlier, so what they decide to do is a launch an expedition in it with a 70 year old Del Boys. It's truly awful. Russian's turn up. People get killed in hilarious manner. Also it's called Ghost Boat for fuck sake. It could only be dross.

• Moderators

Loved, loved, loved Christmas as a kid, but hate it as an adult. I think it reminds me of my failures throughout the preceeding year/years. But my one concession is watching Scrooged every Christmas Eve. This year I'm reading A Christmas Carol for the first time ever throughout December, and have the 1951 and 1970 Scrooges to (re)watch when I'm done.

• Paid Members

I think it reminds me of my failures throughout the preceeding year/years.

So this is Christmas...and what have you done...another year older...

Makes me shudder every December. "Pretty much fuck all" I always think to myself. This year was a bit more productive than usual, but still makes me squirm.

• Paid Members

I love it. Either head to mine or her parents (Co.Durham or Liverpool) and vice-versa on the lead to new year (apart from last year, we went to Belgium instead).

Love seeing my brothers, and the rest of the family. Her family and mates in Liverpool are great too.

New Year - a group of around 14 of us hire a massive 7-8 bedroom knackered old house in the lakes or dales for a week. We all take a shit load of drink and food. Do a few hill walks, make sure we visit as many pubs as possible. Nothing like a pints and Steak Pies with peas chips and gravy in a pub after walking.

Then get back to house, play loads of games (there was a games room with full size table tennis last time), while the none walkers have been making a huge spagbol.

Honestly, I love it. I can't be bothered with all the silly bollocks sales/decorations that go on though.

I am on point with my shopping for once this year, only need vouchers for my cousins and a CD for my sister then I'm done. This year is tinged with both joy and sadness however, joy because it's the first Christmas for my 5 month old niece but sadness because it's the first since my dad passed away earlier in the year, as a result we are going out for Christmas lunch for the first time in years which should be fun

As for personal plans, unfortunately I am working Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and the 27th (as well as New Years Eve and possibly New Years Day) which sucks. The day before I get paid so, as is tradition for me, I will be heading into town to get any last min bits I may need then I am planning to go see Rogue One while Christmas Eve post work I will be getting a takeaway as is the usual for my family before crashing on my bed with a cider or 3 while watching Nightmare Before Christmas and Muppet Christmas Carol

• Paid Members

I'm lucky to still have both parents in relative tact, although they give me the occasional scare. I have incredibly fond memories of Christmas with my family as a nipper. I shudder to think what it would be like without them.

I hope you have a good one Riddum. Do your best to make it about your niece as much as you can. In the next couple of years when she starts to become aware of it, that will be awesome.

Did your dad have any traditions such as passing out the gifts, cutting the turkey etc? If so, maybe when you feel ready you can carry that tradition on.

• Paid Members

Loved, loved, loved Christmas as a kid, but hate it as an adult. I think it reminds me of my failures throughout the preceeding year/years. But my one concession is watching Scrooged every Christmas Eve. This year I'm reading A Christmas Carol for the first time ever throughout December, and have the 1951 and 1970 Scrooges to (re)watch when I'm done.

I've also picked up a copy of A Christmas Carol to chug through this month. Although my Christmas Eve film viewing is more likely to be Ferris Bueler's Day Off if I'm perfectly honest.

Oh and Kaz, your New Year routine sounds like absolute bliss. I think I'm going to stay in this year and just cook some very good food and drink very good wine. But the country walk aspect would be wonderful.

• Awards Moderator

Have always loved Christmas. It will shock few of you my traditions revolve around food. This is the first time in forever I can remember not working on Christmas Eve, although logically that can't be right. So on Christmas Eve I'll cook up a ham, bake cheese straws and watch Muppets Christmas Carol, followed by Snowman / Snowdog and I suspect We're Going On a Bear Hunt is going to join it this year. On the day dinner's always at mine, with Bucks Fizz in the morning and somehow fitting in a buffet just a few hours after a gargantuan roast dinner.

I don't consider Christmas to have started until I hold a copy of the festive Radio Times which should be today. The expectation I put behind this shitty mag is unreal, it's the WrestleMania of TV listings magazines.

Archived