Max Power

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DATE: DECEMBER 3rd 1991

CHAMPION: The Undertaker

CHALLENGER: Hulk Hogan

Undertaker is out first, Monsoon thinks this could be the shortest reign in Federation history. Heenan thinks you can't hurt this man. "What a kisser on Paul Bearer". What does that even mean? Here comes the Hulkster. The foam hands are out in force again - the pop seems to be bigger than Survivor Series. We'll see how that goes as the match develops because it was noticeably down four days ago.

Hogan starts with his usual barrage. Jack Tunney comes down to take a look at the action. He has a beautiful haircut. Ten Punches. And  knockdown straight away from an atomic drop. That's interesting as Taker didn't leave his feet for fifteen minutes at Survivors. Scoop Slam, Taker sits up to a huge pop! Clothesline to the outside. Another massive cheer. This crowd is cheering for both men. They even go nuts when Bearer produces the urn.

Taker pulls Hogan to the outside. Punches. He throws a great punch does Undi, I've always liked them. Chants for Hogan now, as Undertaker "chokes the life out of the immortal Hulk Hogan". Pause, because my dog has just shit on the kitchen floor...

And we're back. Heenan wants to know where the Real Worlds Champion is. "HE'S THE ONE WHO STARTED IT BRAIN". More chokes from Taker. Good heel heat this, and the crowd are buying it. Moreso than at Survivor Series. Crowd behind the challenger. Hogan turns the tables, but Taker cuts him off. Great hope spot from Hogan. The crowd deflates as he's knocked down. Old School from Undertaker, which I suppose is just New School. Or even School. It's an impressive sight for sure. More chokes, as Hogan begins to "depend on the Hulkamaniacs" according to Monsoon, whilst The Brain smells death!

Hogan turns the tables and pulls The Champ outside. Reversal on the Irish Whip onto the steel post. Bearer holds up The Urn like it's the FA Cup. Taker rolls Hogan back in. More Hogan chants. Claw to the face. "Watch the smother" says Monsoon, like Undi is an American Au Pair. Two count. In fact, that's the first pin attempt of the match. Another two count. Hogan is fading. "YYEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSS" screams the Great Man.

But here comes Hogan, he's on his feet. Kick. Kick. He breaks the hold. Ooops, theres a fuck up. Taker falls into the ropes when they were looking to do a double clothesline spot. It's fallen apart a bit here. They hug a little as Taker tells Hogan to do the same spot again and there's the flying clothesline! Two count. I don't like repeated spots, but I guess they just about got away with it. Taker looks for Old School again as Heenan comically signs the Adams Family Theme. But Hogan throws him off and here's FLAIR!

Hogan Hulks Up. Tunney cuts off Flair. Punch, Punch, and here comes the Big Boot. But no, it's a weird looking clothesline over the top rope. Hogan forgets about Taker and pursues Flair on the outside. Focus Hulk Focus. He picks up a chair and waffles The Nature Boy. Back into the ring now, Irish Whip, elbow, punches. Taker rakes the eyes. Tunney is down as Flair is plotting. Eye rake from Hogan. Flair onto the apron with a chair, but Hogan reverses and Taker and Flair collide to a monster reaction. Down goes Ric to the floor. Irish Whip, Big Boot. But Hogan pauses over Undertaker like he's after a People's Elbow. Just go for the Leg Drop Hulk, it's worked for seven years mate.

Meanwhile on the outside, Flair tries to wake up Tunney. Bearer tries to smack Hogan with The Urn but he moves and hits his own man. Hogan chucks the contents of said Urn into Undi's eyes and then rolls up the big man for a one....two....three. Christ knows where the referee has been, I haven't noticed him but he appears in time to count the pin. Taker pops right back up after the fall, which I've no problem with. "A miscarriage of justice" says Bobby and Monsoon doesn't care what "Jack Stunny saw".

RATING:

Not too bad. I've had a good day at work today, so I'm in a decent mood for early 90s wrestling capers so I quite enjoyed it - it certainly was an improved effort on Survivor Series. It's essentially the same match as three days ago though just with a different outcome.

1. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v Hulk Hogan

2. Hulk Hogan v The Ultimate Warrior

3. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted Dibiase

4. Sargent Slaughter v Hulk Hogan

5. The Undertaker v Hulk Hogan

6. The Ultimate Warrior v Sargent Slaughter

7. Hulk Hogan v The Undertaker

8. The Iron Sheik v Hulk Hogan

9. Hulk Hogan v Andre The Giant

--

Now I've got to work out how to cover the Rumble, and making sure I'm fair to Flair.

Edited by Max Power

Sorry m8, no bollocking intended

Have just been enjoying these that's all.

The classic that is 92, featuring a staggeringly cuntish act by Hogan in eliminating Sid 100% unfairly after Sid 100% legit eliminated him.

Hogan did have some Heelish tenendices didn't he!

• 1 year later...

But wait, what's this...?

Reading the review threads covering Summerslam and the upcoming Hell in a Cell has inspired me to complete my Chinese Democracy - although I will say that I will be slightly cheating. I can't be arsed to write a review for Rumble 92 (see the link above to Air Raid's magnum opus) and I can't find the Bret/Flair match that follows it because I'm a bit simple when it comes to "finding" things online. I can update my list though...

2. Royal Rumble 92

3. Hulk Hogan v The Ultimate Warrior

4. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted Dibiase

5. Sargent Slaughter v Hulk Hogan

6. The Undertaker v Hulk Hogan

7. The Ultimate Warrior v Sargent Slaughter

8. Hulk Hogan v The Undertaker

9. The Iron Sheik v Hulk Hogan

10. Hulk Hogan v Andre The Giant

N/A. Ric Flair v Bret Hart

Yes I know, it may be borderline blasphemy to rank Rumble 92 under Hogan/Savage, but fuck it its my list and I thought Savage's performance at Mania V was one of the all time great heel outings. I simply loved it.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I'm off work tomorrow and Friday so you may see a few more updates in the next 24 hours. I'm just off to dig out my toga.

Quite right. Christ knows what I've been smoking - poor Savage.

DATE: April 5th 1992

CHAMPION: Ric Flair

CHALLENGER: Macho Man Randy Savage

"This is what its all about" says Gorilla, "one half of our double main event". Looking at the clock, we're seventy four minutes into a near three hour show - the WWF Title has never been this low on the card.

Heenan is with Monsoon, as Finkel introduces Flair first. The camera pans across the impressive crowd at the Hoosier Dome - I don't like it when the Champ is out first. Bobby says "That's one heck of a robe", "WILLYOUSTOP" replies Gorilla - who obviously can't stand dressing gowns.

Here comes Savage, decked in black and gold as he hits the ring. What a man. Fucking hell Randy leaps obver the top rope and goes right for Ric - pounding him in the aisle until Mr Perfect manhandles him and allows Flair to collect himself. Savage looks like he wants to kill Perfect until Earl or Dave Hebner implores him to "get in the ring". 

Chop from Flair, Savage hits the ropes and a clothesline. Savage is all over the Champ early - punches and an elbow takes him down. "He knows what its all about, but now his Mrs is involved he can't think, he's a jealous man" muses Heenan. Christ, massive back drop over the top rope as Savage collects some serious air miles there. Incredible. Flair in control now on the outside - his hair is resplendant in the early going. Brain tells Ric to get counted out - do the smart thing, not the right thing he says. Great commentary. Back in the ring and stomps from Naitch. Chops. WOOOO from a small amount in the crowd. Cracking stalling suplex. Gets a two count, although "an eighty year old woman could have counted faster".

Back suplex gets another two as Bobby McGuire wants Flair to "show me the pictures". Flair has a shit eating grin as he chops away. His tits are sagging a little though. Another two count. Savage rolls to the outside, as Flair follows. More work to the kidneys as Ric rams Randy against the apron. WOOOOOO says Heenan as he asks Gorilla to "give him one". Ooh er.

Another stalling suplex by Flair - very impressive. Two count. Great heat segment this. The crowd is all over Flair and starts to come alive a little as Savage offers a bit of resistance, smashing Flair with right hands. Here comes Savage, although his neckbreaker was a little awkward. Big pop though. Double down. Flair up first, but Randy hits right back. Thumb to the eye by Flair the cheating bastard. Flair climbs the ropes for fuck sake - its not going to work Naitch. Macho tosses Flair halfway across the ring and he begs off. Ric bumps and feeds as Savage is all fire as he comes back and Jesus Christ fuck me.

Flair takes the upside down corner bump, then runs along the apron to the adjacent turnbuckle, hops up in one fluid motion, flies through the air at Savage, but is met by a meaty clothesline. Great spot. Long two count that, and the crowd really bit on that one. Big boos for Hebner, the cheating twat.

Flair over the top rope and Savage goes up top. "You can't beat him on the floor" offers Brain as Savage signals six and FLIES at The Nature Boy, hitting him with a double axe handle into the guard rail. The crowd goes nuts. Flair's head bounces off the ring steps and apron - as Flair has the crimson mask. "Suplex on the concrete" says Gorilla, as Flair lands on the blue mats. The Weasel wants the match stopped. Back in and blood is everywhere. Savage tees of on Flair and hits another double axe handle. Another great, long two count that the crowd fell for again. Great stuff.

Flair is down as Randy goes up top for the Elbow. Hebner implores him to stop for some reason. I don't get that either as he never said a word when both when have climbed the turnbuckle previously. Perfect has his head in his hands, his big, curly mullet full of bounce and volume. This must be the finish as Savage stands for around 6 seconds as the crowd goes nuts. Picture perfect Elbow, but a different Perfect drags Savage off Flair. They scuffle and in the melee the ref is down. Perfect tosses something to Flair, who drops an easy one handed catch low to his left. Ric would have been terrible in the slips, although it was probably the keepers catch. It looks like brass knuckles. BANG. Flair nails Randy to Heenan's delight. BUT SAVAGE KICKS OUT. Huge pop. Flair is pissed now and stomps away, then hits some incredibly fake looking punches with a load of dailylight visible. Crowd chants for Macho as Perfect mashes him with a chair. Heenan thinks its over. 

But here comes Elizabeth! Earl or Dave Hebner shadows her down, trying to send her to the back. He's in a full grey suit complimented with lovely white trainers - looking like the nobheads who I used to go to school with who insisted on wearing trainers instead of shoes. Or Simon from the Inbetweeners before he swapped them for the piss soaked ones. Nice cleavage Liz. What a wierd scene. Shane O'Mac (I think) is there now with some other suit and they form a three man squat team to try and stop Elizabeth. 

Back in the ring Flair works the knee. In fact it is Shane. Knee breaker by Flair. Here comes the figure four. Its locked in. Five blokes are with Elizabeth now. Two count in the ring as the action on the outside is distracting me from the match. Savage tries to reverse the hold, with Liz giving encouragement. He's reversed and Flair grabs the ropes and then lets go. Small package gets two for Savage. He's really selling the knee. Great stuff. Flair in charge again. WOOOOO at Liz. Flair is a proper bastard now. Kneebreaker again. Flair grabs the leg once again but a roll up from Savage gets the one...two....three. "No, no, no, no" exclaims Heenan as the crowd lose their shit.

Randy and Elzabeth celebrate together and the grin on Savage's face makes me a little sad. Great ending.

RATING:

Great stuff. First class bastardry from Flair throughout and Savage's comebacks were well timed and his selling was great. Thoroughly enjoyable.

2. Royal Rumble 92
3. Ric Flair v Randy Savage
4. Hulk Hogan v The Ultimate Warrior
5. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v 'The Million Dollar' Man Ted Dibiase
6. Sargent Slaughter v Hulk Hogan
7. The Undertaker v Hulk Hogan
8. the Ultimate Warrior v Sargent Slaughter
9. Hulk Hogan v The Undertaker
10. The Iron Sheik v Hulk Hogan
11. Hulk Hogan v Andre The Giant

• 3 years later...

Well I've managed to pick up Covid - symptoms are ok for the minute, so there's only one thing I can do. Watch old wrestling.

We left our great journey at Wrestlemania 8, with Savage bringing home the bacon against The Nature Boy. Now I can only find highlights of the return match with Flair getting his revenge, and I've a similar issue with Bret's win at whatever House Show it was. I've really not got the inclination to piss about to try to find anything further, so who cares. A link was posted earlier in this thread, but its not working for me - and I can't be arsed to investigate further.

DATE: April 4th 1993

CHAMPION: Bret Hart

CHALLENGER: Yokozuna

Oooh, its Jim Ross. He's got Macho and Heenan flanking him. Hulk Hogan has just challenged the winner of this bout to a match - I'd like to see that, it could be decent with the correct build.

Yokozuna is out first, with Mr Fuji. The Japanese Flag is extremely flacid. Heenan says "the clouds have come over Caesars" as Zuna makes his entrance. Savage reckons they're black clouds. Easy lads. Yoko looks immense. BUT HERE'S BRET. The first time I've heard his music in a while and its still a belter. Decent pop for Bret, the crowd are with him. Savage has R-S-P-C-E-T for The Champ, bless him. Bret looks like a wrestler, he kisses the belt and gives it to Hebner. Yoko disrobes, and we're on!

They talk about Bret's family, and the generations of wrestlers produced. "They had 11 in the first litter" quips Brain, and I genuinely laughed at that one. Bret starts at pace and drop kicks Yoko - 10 punches in the corner, but The Champ is shoved off. Bret wails away, but there's big slap from The Sumo Man. Waistlock is unsuccessful, as they really do a good job of showcasing Yoko's size. Bret charges again and gets absolutely mullered by The Challanger and is knocked outside the ring.

Boos for Yoko as Bret recovers, and The Hitman ties his opponent in the ropes who topples backwards semi comedically. Not as bad as SummerSlam 96, but not great. Bret uses the ropes to catapult onto Zuna and mounts him to smash his face in. Crowd go nuts. Bret goes up top and connects with the forearm. Clothesline. And again. Yoko is staggered. But Yoko hits a clothesline of his own as Bret is folded in half. "Take a look at Fuji, the infamous manager of Yokozuna" says Ross. He doesn't want to be infamous. He wants to be famous.

Yoko in control now. Elbow drop. Scoop Slam. Leg drop makes the crowd OOOOH. Great reaction. "USA USA USA" chant the crowd, to try to help the Candian against the American. Lots of weather based metaphors from The Brain. Bobby claims its Bret's own fault for accepting the challenge and he deserves the beating. There's a nerve hold going off by the way, so I'm not missing anything. Brain is off to Caesar's to put some money on Yoko.

Here's Bret off the top, jumping on his back and taking him down. Cover, and that's a 2 count. Strong kick out from Yoko. He gets up and BOOTS Bret in the face. He isn't wearing boots though, so I suppose he FOOTS him. Snap Mare from Yoko into an "Oriental Nerve Hold" according to Jim. More USA chants. Thickos. Yoko is sweating like he's had a vindaloo. It's a decent heat section though, so I'll let him off. Hart ducks a charge, goes up top and hits a Bulldog for a convincing near fall.

Bret goes up top again and rocks the Big Man - flying clotheline knocks him over. Bret goes for ten punches, but Yoko slams him. Bret tries to grab the turnbuckle though to hold on, and as he's overpowered he takes the padding with him. Well. that's one of the most organic ways I've seen that done. It beats taking twenty minutes to untie it. Yoko grabs Bret and goes to ram his face on the exposed buckle, but Bret reverses. Its Sharpshooter time, and Bret really sells the struggle of hooking the move on - great stuff from him, the crowd are almost pleading for him to synch it in. He's a bit close to the ropes for my liking though, hopefully that doesn't backfire.

He's got it!

But wait, what's Fuji doing. Salt in the eyes, the bastard. Hebner was looking the other way. Yoko hooks the leg and its over. Well that was wank, he could have at least sat on him and given Bret the old Banzai drop. The Japanese Lads celebrate, and The Brain is happy as a pig in shit for some reason.

Some bloke in Red and Yellow is on his way down though, but that's for another time....

RATING:

Not too bad. Yoko wasn't yet a waste of time, and Bret bumped round like hell to get sympathy from the crowd. I enjoyed Hart's frequent top rope dives to try and rock The Big Man. Decent, but the finish was wank.

1. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v Hulk Hogan

2. Royal Rumble 92

3. Ric Flair v Randy Savage

4. Hulk Hogan v The Ultimate Warrior

5. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage v 'The Million Dollar' Man Ted Dibiase

6. Sargent Slaughter v Hulk Hogan

7. Bret Hart v Yokozuna

8. The Undertaker v Hulk Hogan

9. The Ultimate Warrior v Sargent Slaughter

10. Hulk Hogan v The Undertaker

11. The Iron Sheik v Hulk Hogan

12. Hulk Hogan v Andre The Giant