The History of the WWE Championship.

Max Power

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

He was still an A* bumper then.

If I was ever had to blame one of Warrior and Slaughter for them two not having good matches it certainly wouldn't be Slaughter.

The Desert Storm match from MSG he had with Hogan in 91 is fucking amazing as well.

The match he had in London with Hogan at the UK Rampage was a fucking shambles.  Still for some reason I was always a fan of Sarge.

He wasn't the same when they turned him babyface late '91.  Some guys are just meant to be a heel.  Loved his run as the Commissioner also.

Edited by The Clint

I had been watching the WWF for nearly 5 years when Slaughter got the belt and have to say it was a shock, he just looked shite compared to what i was used to. He may have been a good bumper in his day, but in 91 he was the pits (as a young fella watching it). Tbf I was a massive Hogan fan and even he was losing his appeal around this time.

Sid was my favourite around this era i think, his squash matches late night on central were something i had never seen before.

• Moderators

I had been watching the WWF for nearly 5 years when Slaughter got the belt and have to say it was a shock, he just looked shite compared to what i was used to. He may have been a good bumper in his day, but in 91 he was the pits (as a young fella watching it). Tbf I was a massive Hogan fan and even he was losing his appeal around this time.

Sid was my favourite around this era i think, his squash matches late night on central were something i had never seen before.

Slaughter hadn't been in the WWF for 5 years + when he got the belt. He left in late 84. How were you watching it?

• Paid Members

Remember when the Boss Man beat up Slaughter in 1998, and Slaughter was shitting his pants at the idea of having to serve hard time. Slaughter was bumping around as if he was a manager like Slick or someone. This was such a massive disconnect for someone who grew up watching the WWF. Slaughter was the World Champ on the same show the Boss Man was having trouble with Mr Perfect only a few years previous. I wasnt buying that shit. No way.

Yeh in hindsight i would watch Slaughter over Warrior, at the time as a kid though Slaughter just looked ancient. Then to make him look even worse they teamed him up with Mustafa! The Triangle of Terror.

everyone looked ancient in the 80's/early 90's. Hogan, Slaughter, Earthquake, Studd, Duggan, Dibiase, Valentine, Bravo, Savage. Most of which were younger than Cena or Triple H are now, Earthquake being the best example as he would have been around 15 years younger than Cena is now at his peak 90/91 run.

• Paid Members

That's something I miss, everyone looking older. Old=more legit to me as a kid. If Ted Dibiase Jr was knocking round when I was watching during the early 90s, I'd have thought he was fucking shit (like I did with Rick Martel), because he was a cookie cut generic young-looking wrestler. Ted Sr on the other hand, looked like he'd been wrestling for about 50 years and he was still in this 30s. Earthquake, as per PSF, is an even better example. I suppose Bray is a good example nowadays.

It's true of music too. My main bugbear in the charts of the last twenty years is the lack of mature voices. You'd never get the likes of Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes leading the soundtrack of a movie like Dirty Dancing nowadays. It would be someone aged 19-24 squeaking about what a long, hard road they've travelled.

Anyway, bring me my slippers and get off my lawn.